Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124814 times)

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6690 on: October 05, 2010, 10:46:08 pm »

Holy crap, I just discovered more jewels in one dig than I have ever had in my entire time playing. Includes diamonds, no less. Fucking insane.

I was at Disneyland this last week, rode through the Snow White ride, and there's a scene where you ride through the mine, and all I could think was "You have struck violet sespartine!"

Horrible when DF and reality start to mesh.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:57:00 pm by cog disso »
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: October 06, 2010, 01:12:19 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dang, I may actually try this.  I have a legendary weaver and clothier, that would make for a badass adamantine rope.  The engravings would have to wait until some awesome stuff happens at my fortress, my current dining room is filled with images of buzzards (my civ's emblem, funny i keep shooting them when they harass my masons.  20 z-level fall and splat)  and some lame elf taming alligators.  If only I had a high skilled architect too.  Sadly the hell-well would only be temporary, as once my cliffside green-glass fortress is finished, the mechanism/well will become one of the centerpieces of my fort.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: October 06, 2010, 01:13:41 am »

If you're building a well that drops down the adamantine tube, I am assuming you will have entertaining things to engrave before long. ;)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: October 06, 2010, 01:26:27 am »

I don't plan on breaking through until I've gotten a lot more done on this fort.  I did on a copy of the region, and the tube I was digging down (highest z level of it was at the level of the magma sea  :(  ) was not the tube the hfs spawn under.  They just sat in the hollow tube instead of coming to kill me, and I had to specifically break into the other one to get them to come to my fort.  I killed quite a few with my small military, but most of them felt like chasing crundles around level 3.  They certainly didn't behave like murderous demons, although one threw a dwarf at a wall so hard he blew apart.  I didn't even stick around to see the fun because it was late at the time.

As for the hell well, I'll be building it just for the purposes of seeing how big a room value I can get.  I assume the only way to do this is to compare my architecture score pre and post construction?  and yeah I'll be building it with a block of pure adamantine metal, although i have raw plat blocks on hand.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Styledatol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: October 06, 2010, 01:43:40 am »

Started playing again, finally got the time...
Built a fort on what seems like an endless supply of magnetite and bismuth (I hope the amount of metals/coal found in a layer will get reduced, this is ridiculously overpowered), so I'm working mostly on forging steel and iron; which is my lone export. Starting working on a network of catacombs to house the dead (think Diablo), will probably fill it with traps, living creatures, and treasures. Going to seal in one dwarf to act as a caretaker.
One of the immigrants claimed a workshop as soon as she appeared on the map, to be honest I'm not sure I want to know what she's working on...

Good god, this game still creeps me out at times.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: October 06, 2010, 02:04:37 am »

Violent Sespartine, the most dangerous of semiprecious gemstones.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Blood-Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: October 06, 2010, 04:22:51 am »

my current fortress is a huge pile of chaos. migrants and caravans get murdered by ambushing goblins, my dwarfs are safely walled inside but i had a little trouble digging out my new farms making bedrooms and a big dining hall and somehow booze and food ran out. some dwarfs died before i could get a well going one of them was a legendary miner. my second legendary miner got killed for an artifact spear :P now all is full of miasma and tantruming dwarfs ;D i'm sure some will go berserk and stark raving mad.
but i hope i can somehow get this place going again :o
Einsam stehn die schwarzen Zinnen,
Trotzen aller Zeiten Wirren.
So auch ich, komm sei mein Zeug:
Blutend, aber ungebeugt!

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: October 06, 2010, 05:39:02 am »

Actually, forgot name of fortress - without engravings, I can't find it.

Anyway, starting a Crundle collection.  Expedition leader and legendary miner gets moody, needs silk. Nope, none traded due to low goods prices due to my best gem setter and stonecrafter is one of my 7 originals - I have masterful fish dissectors (3 of them) but migrants who make tradable goods, no.

So to get the silk, I dig down (set 20 levels) and strike caverns about 5 levels down.  One pondgrabber and a small legion of crundles down there.  Let the webgatherer do his stuff and then mine the staircase with cage traps after one of the wanders up 15 levels and into the dining room.  Crashing a party, and 3 miners all go nasty on it - still finding crundle body parts in the dining room.

911 at last count, and more all the time.  I'm making metal traps in lots of 20, and they go fast.  Also had Impressively Large Giant Human who wandered into a cage trap at my gate (I forgot to raise the drawbridge) so he's the odd one out, apart from the goblin thief.

Currently trying to swap food for a tame giant desert scorpion from the elves.  I'll tether it to a rope at the front gate....

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: October 06, 2010, 06:14:46 am »

My baron is on a killing spree:
And it's unlikely to stop any time soon. In case of a siege, I guess I'll just send him out to negotiate. I'm sure he can reach an agreement with the attackers.

EDIT: Up to seventeen kills now.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 06:16:43 am by Serio »

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: October 06, 2010, 09:35:08 am »

Artifact Alligator Bone mace. As soon as I crafted it, a buzzard swarm came and is murdering my FPS.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #6700 on: October 06, 2010, 09:40:02 am »

And it's unlikely to stop any time soon. In case of a siege, I guess I'll just send him out to negotiate. I'm sure he can reach an agreement with the attackers.

I have this image in my mind of him walking outside, casually firing a crossbow bolt into the leader's forehead, then calmly stating: "Anyone else want to negotiate?"
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: October 06, 2010, 09:42:55 am »

Well.
I've constructed a vault for the legendary mace. The area where it lays also has the mace engraved on it.
Proud of my heritage.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: October 06, 2010, 10:22:17 am »

I have this image in my mind of him walking outside, casually firing a crossbow bolt into the leader's forehead, then calmly stating: "Anyone else want to negotiate?"

I think he'd sooner fling his axe than use a crossbow, but yes, that's how I imagine it'd go as well.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: October 06, 2010, 10:28:14 am »

The Forest Titan Usa has come! A huge blob composed of snow. It has two narrow tails, and has an austere look to it!
"Serious blob is serious!"
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:14:28 am by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.

Styledatol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: October 06, 2010, 11:42:18 am »

An Elven caravan came to trade, a few moments later a goblin ambush appeared and turned the Elves into mush. Killed them all, lost a war dog and a jeweler.

On the bright side... I got two war jaguars now, and that child who held my shop hostage got what she wanted now, the result: Elf bone crossbow.
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 3842