Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125061 times)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6585 on: October 02, 2010, 07:44:47 pm »

I am now getting well over a dozen goblin ambushes per season.  I wonder what I did exactly to piss them off so much.

The entire corridor and entrance of my fort is red with blood.  The traps jam constantly and most of my militia veterans have over thirty kills each.  The dwarves spent the last ten years just trying to clean the entrance up, but they can't keep up.  The bodies pile up more and more everytime.
Redirect a river to clean it all up?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: October 02, 2010, 07:46:11 pm »

burn it?

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: October 02, 2010, 07:53:38 pm »

Whatever problem we are posting solutions to, I thought I'd post the obligatory MAGMAAAAAAAAA
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: October 02, 2010, 07:54:36 pm »

I think he wants to keep the blood. I recommend a drawbridge to keep the goblins out while you clean.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: October 02, 2010, 08:34:02 pm »

I've been bumping back the job of laying down the grate that would open the path to my fortress, but it manage to slip by me while I was deepening trenches and picking at quality veins.

Holy clusterfuck! Just when the pitfall path opened, my best miners and fighters have trapped themselves underground, and a beast shows up underground. I deployed B-squad expecting them to get slaughtered, and another FB appears. Someone finally pulls the lever to open the inner lock so my miners don't have to carve a new path to obviate it, and when I look back to my squad, a farmer is carrying off the corpse of the first FB. None of them had any injuries, and after checking their weapons I still can't see who got the kill. It turns out the second FB is in a cavern still sealed with a grate, so won't be an issue for awhile.

The invaders continued their march. And while I watched them sail off the cliff, I learned a few things. First, that trolls will destroy the path to their destination. Good job asshole, now no one is getting through. Second, that a caged enemy can block the space it's trapped in, so none of it's buddies will be walking through, and 8 goblins get to hang out on a ledge. I learned that goblins chucked off 4 z-levels still have enough fight to fuck up a war dog, but not quite enough to get past a war gorilla.

All the time and effort on these traps took out almost a 1/4th of the invaders. Not a bad deal, except that the surviving crossbowmen are parked at a vantage point over my courtyard and over the traps that I should be shoring up. They should have the ability and AI to advance, but they aren't, and that bugs me. But even if I clear them out, there are still trolls sitting in front of a gap that should've been a walkable pathway, and no civilian is going to restore that.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: October 02, 2010, 09:03:07 pm »

The marsh titan (Titan's Really Long Name) has come! A gigantic humanoid composed of steam. It has two long, spiral horns and it emanates an aura of giving and kindness.

This should be interesting....
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: October 02, 2010, 09:10:25 pm »

My latest embark has 133k units of garnierite.

And over 1000 coloured diamonds.

That's what you get when you find a 3x3 embark which is pretty much gabbro all the way down with some pockets of marble, I think.

Time to build an olivine tower to the sky, I guess.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: October 02, 2010, 09:12:54 pm »

Lol. Recruited a miner into the military and told him to equip a pick and go kill the titan.

He ignores my orders to grab his pick, goes to fight the titan.... and punches it in half.

How that thing survived 1050 years of worldgen, I'll never know.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: October 03, 2010, 01:38:33 am »

This.

Another titan decided to show up and rampage through my fort entrance, scaring all the haulers that were bringing ammo to the catapult.

So I draft a miner into the military, hoping for the same result as last time.

A miner, a woodcutter (who was using an artifact bone axe), and a hauler all get disposed of before I finally come to my senses, have a silver mace forget rather rapidly by my legendary +something weaponsmith, and send out a different hauler to slay it. 1 hit with the mace, and off goes the amber bastard's lower body. Yeesh.

So now I'm training an actual military. So far, they've only had to kill elves, but you never know....

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: October 03, 2010, 01:48:12 am »

removed a grate over a gap and left a novice leatherworker stranded on a cliffside.  He was searching for vermin and dehydrated when I noticed him.  I replaced the grate so he could run off to get booze.

He died of thirst WHILE STANDING ON MY BOOZE STOCKPILE.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: October 03, 2010, 01:56:45 am »

I've mostly been screwing around with forts where all I've wanted to do is dig and dig and dig out massive veins of rocks and gems and ores but those forts ultimately run into long term feasibility problems just as food shortages and for some reason any farming and brewing I do turns out very chaotic and unpredictable.  So, I have decided to do a series of fortresses dedicated solely to the art of practicing support industries.  I have turned off basic fun [invasions] and made sure to kill [economy] and have begun a farming only fort.  Unfortunately its a bit of a challenge plagued with bottlenecks left and right and dwarfs that mysteriously refuse to work even after much tender loving care with their labor requirements.  I also appear to be building up large piles of plants that require special treatments such as milling or plant extraction or I'm not even really sure.  Its a bit to take care of.  And those have bottlenecks that I suspect exist but haven't even been able to figure out well enough to assess.  I figure it may perhaps be time to start out with another fortress with a more limited selection of crops to grow and improved skill distribution to hopefully avoid bottlenecks.  I'll try to refocus on plump helmets and breweable above ground crops and get an agricultural/brewing industry going.  Once I get it stable with the bottlenecks removed I'll see what I can do with more advanced crops such as pig tails, quarry bushes, and what not.  I feel after a few forts and dealing with labor shortages an bottlenecks I'll get good management skills in running farms and other clothmaking/dyeing industries and milling/cooking.  Then I'll move on to butchering/hunting industry fortresses including more militants to deal with dangerous creatures.  Then I'll get a stable farm/hunting fortress going and break into the underground caverns to try to deal with those nasties and then cultivate that incredibly delicious sounding wealth of underground crops.

All said and done, I should have a very good idea on how to manage a very solid farm/alcohol/cloth/butcher/leather industry in any fortress which should put it into a good healthy position to handle more odd-skilled immigrants and shift my focus into more traditional dwarvenly mining, masonry, stoneworking, and the metal crafting arts without having to worry about food/ale/container bottlenecks.

I have this curious and interesting desire to try and embark a fortress that relies entirely on fishing, but I have no way of figuring out how to find good embark points for that, if any even exist.
Cage traps are my magma.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: October 03, 2010, 02:31:02 am »

I got bored and broke open the HFS, having forgotten that I messed with worldgen params to have only 1 type of clown...

4 pages of steam clowns, a legendary macedwarf, and a kickass miner later.... I beat the HFS. Colonization time.

....And time to build a trap for building destroyers that build throw them into a glowing pit....

Oh, and for the record, I have found that steam clowns are very much like balloons. They hit you, it does nothing, you hit them, and they either explode in half or launch themselves in the opposite direction of their now-missing appendage. There's one that's been fighting a Magma Man for a good 15 minutes now. The only way it's still alive is that it launches itself away from the magma man whenever it loses a bit of an appendage.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: October 03, 2010, 05:46:44 am »

My dwarves, yet again, learned, and immediately forgot, the importance of running the right f***ing direction when being chased by a goblin ambush.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: October 03, 2010, 05:49:56 am »

I just got a goblin siege, and they have a troll.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: October 03, 2010, 11:21:51 am »

My captain of the guard is severely overpowered. I sent him into my caverns with his militia of 8, and... well:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All the while he had a broken hand, a fractured rib, and a fractured liver. His armour isn't even all that good. There's some pieces of adamantine, but his upper body is protected by a black bear leather coat.

EDIT: The captain is now "Kivish Armorquake the Safe Raptor". Somewhat appropriate, I suppose.

EDIT2: Well, Kivish just took down a fourth forgotten beast. Emero the Reigning Pebble.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 11:46:24 am by Serio »
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 3842