Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124898 times)

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6510 on: September 29, 2010, 09:25:32 pm »

While "testing out" a 42 zlevel death tower on some untrainable critters, most of them got loose. Apparently, I did something wrong regarding pits.... (If someone could diagram how you're supposed to chuck hostiles off a tower, it would be much appreciated) Oh well, time to watch the cougars and tigers shred my dwarves because my only military is in elephants.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: September 29, 2010, 10:58:51 pm »

Said child has just entered a fey mood.  Slowly and painfully, she's dragged himself to a craftsdwarf's workshop, then around the fortress, gathering materials.
I just had something similar; a soldier who hadn't even been diagnosed for his mangled legs dragged himself to the leather shop and around the crafts storage. All to make a single leather shoe. A 100k dwarfbuck shoe, but who's going to wear one shoe?

Oh, but it also had an image of my adventurer climbing the peak here. An elvish adventurer. The dwarves can't get enough of that.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: September 30, 2010, 12:36:57 am »

Fort got destroyed by a FB and its deadly dust. Apparently elephants make very effective dust projectiles.... and having caverns with steep drops of up to 10 zlevels didn't help.

Time to build a new fort..... and an even bigger execution tower.

Oh yeah, and I need more ideas for crap to mod in. This computer has grenades, thermite, and chemicals - my other comupter has gunpowder, chemicals, bullets (with actual production), and some extra moderately powerful ores/metals.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 12:40:26 am by TherosPherae »
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: September 30, 2010, 03:59:08 am »

Damn my Dwarven civ. A damned nation. Damnation.

New fort, first time embarking someplace cold. Snow everywhere, part of a frozen lake fed by a frozen stream. No trees. Shit. No trees. Failed to notice that earlier... enough wood for 7 beds and 3 barrels. Oh well. Lots of ice.

Time passes, first immigration wave: 4 dudes. Cool. Second immigration wave: 6 more. Ok. By autumn, finally get first farm set up in the second layer of caverns (first later is just water everywhere, yay), and manage to chop enough tower caps for some more barrels - booze running very low, food no longer scarce as first shrooms come off the farms.

Dwarven caravan comes - they bring no booze. No booze at all. And just three logs. I have plump helmets, but the barrels situation is bad. Still, looks like my dwarves are going to survive, beds and bedrooms will just have to wait. I'll wait for one more wave then turn off immigration for the moment.
I need a few bodies for a military, although Armok knows how I am going to equip them, so I can claim a larger part of the caverns and cut down some more trees.

3rd immigration wave: 22.

Twenty-two. My population moves from 17 to 39.

Bollocks.

I have no idea how to scale up booze production to match the new demand, nor how to get more wood from the caverns without a military, or how to equip a military.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: September 30, 2010, 05:06:18 am »

Infinityhalls. Sigh.

Volcano, marble, iron, bronze, gems in abundance, copious ponds and farmland creation.  Paradise.

Humans turn up - ho hum, I think.  17 lashers with a war polar bear - WTF - I'm in the tropics!!! And they hate me???

Anyway, despite traps and a ballista, two of them get in and slaughter 20 dwarves.  I'll manage, I say - no.  EVERY SINGLE DWARF IS THROWING A TANTRUM!

Impressive, but I'd prefer they bury the dead.  Or at least tunnel out the new tombs and make some coffins. Sigh.

So it's time to mine through the mama wall - as the last dwarves go insane.  This is what the game is all about!!!

Update - first tantrum spiral for me.  Watching them go from 51 to 7 dwarves was educational. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 05:28:49 am by Pukako »

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: September 30, 2010, 06:05:48 am »

A quadruped made of ice, much more aggressive than the last beasts. Icebeast had both radial breath and directed streams, but fortunately it was just freezing breath, didn't even stun for that long, and so far no signs of any syndrome.

He instantly took out a farmer who was just getting the fields turned. I sent my B-squad because they were in their training season, and should've been equipped. Should've. Only three showed up while the rest were sleeping or seeking their gear, including the captain. They were getting some whacks on him, but he tore one up and dragged another under the water. I had to call out my A-squad, and again, only three showed up, but at least they had their off season as their excuse, but at least those three finished him off without further casualties.

I swear, I cannot get B-squad to catch up, and every single time they're deployed, they have casualties. Even early in training, there was one guy who was disemboweled in training...with a wooden sword! But maybe he was the toughest one of them; he would not quit sparring until I relieved him of duty, then he staggered to the hospital. I transferred him to the guard unit, and later I saw him leading a class in wrestling, his guts still hanging out.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: September 30, 2010, 07:57:53 am »

I'm genning a new world.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can tell that this will be a terrible idea.

e- Yeah. 40 fps on embark. I'll cut most of them down to 20.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 08:08:54 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: September 30, 2010, 08:38:15 am »

I have walled off the northern side of the river canyon no more pesky golbin ambushs to annoy me now!

Dr. D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: September 30, 2010, 08:52:16 am »

A FB came made out of clay loam in the first cavern. I think, "Oh no, it is going to make a mess and spook a lot of my dwarves, but hey, it shoots webs." Sure enough, it goes straight toward the stair way leading up to the main fortress. I send my 9 dwarf Axelord squad after it. It happens to just reach a busy intersection, scare a bunch of dwarves, kill a war dog of the wood cutter who has about 30 of them, and meets one of my Axelords. The battle lasts all of four seconds as my Axelord cuts the FB in half.

Great! Now if I could only get that FB newt that seems content to swim around in the underground lake to come up...
Bombengranadenelementplitzplotzdonnerwettersappermentnochmal!

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: September 30, 2010, 09:17:13 am »

Ha, so much for my 39 dwarves - a towering scaly snail with thin wings of stretched skin and a bloated body just trimmed my pop back down to 31.

Need to make some coffins for my poor military. After the snail flew into the heart of my fortress, I basically just drafted all the recent migrants... so ok, I have a lot of corpses, but they are at least the corpses of Elite Wrestlers (apparently getting slain is character forming), and two legendary wrestlers who still live... although one of those is injured, and haz a sad. Oh dear.

So yeah, FBs can often fly, and anyone doing any farming in the caverns should remember that. I guess some walls might help... and that metal industry I was talking about... and some bloody wood for barrels.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Tonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: September 30, 2010, 09:48:39 am »

Modom the cat went up on the ramparts during a siege and caught a bolt in the guts.  He hobbled around the fort for years after that, dragging intestines two tiles long behind him. We lost track of him when the circus came to town, and everyone died horribly.

The new fort is called 'Clenchtowers.'  I love this game.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: September 30, 2010, 11:34:51 am »

I've figured out how to get immigrants; just get everyone in a bed, and a flock will soon arrive. You could go years throwing riches at the liaison and merchants and still see not another new face, but as soon as everyone has their own room, there'll be a bunch of strangers elbowing into your dining rooms saying, "Hi, is this seat taken?" and drinking up your booze before they've even started working.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: September 30, 2010, 12:16:32 pm »

Hit the magma sea at about twenty levels down...hell yeah.  The bigger concern is running out of materials.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: September 30, 2010, 03:01:38 pm »

Erush Zuntîrimush, Forgeworker has been possessed!
Erush Zuntîrimush has claimed a Metalsmith's Forge.
<1 steel bar, 1 kaolinite boulder>
Erush Zuntîrimush has begun a mysterious construction!

Skills:
Novice thresher, rusty
Novice cook, rusty
Skilled furnace operator
Novice weaponsmith, rusty
Novice armorsmith, rusty
Novice blacksmith, rusty
Novice metalcrafter, rusty

I wonder what I'll get. All I know is that it will be nice and valuable.

EDIT: Goblet. Asshole.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:04:23 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: September 30, 2010, 03:06:58 pm »

After sending the slave dwarves to a certain death, my small, non-military jewelers volcano tower fortress spent half a year watching the simultaneous human siege and goblin ambushes creeping thorugh the cage traps in the one tile path around the volcano, like the automated turrets scene from Aliens 2. Then, all of a sudden, a bored human bowman shots one of the goblins, and the goblin ambushers decide to murder the human siege.

Everything went better than expected.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 3842