Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125078 times)

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6465 on: September 28, 2010, 01:16:47 am »

Alright, I'm doing one last Hail Mary for modding in grenades before I give up.

Go on, Counselledattic. Make my day.

if there's a tag for it, make it a crossbow ammunition.
Do you know how OP grenades in crossbows would be? It'd be titan-smashing, BC-obliterating, clown-crushing, and that's just unfai...r....

I have to do this now.

Also, the grenades seem to work fine as ammo. They don't explode spectacularly yet, but I'm sure there's some way I can make them combust and start grassfires. Especially if they're shooting at an elven convoy full of wood.
Since you are making them out of a special material, make it catch on fire just bellow the temperature that dwarfgoblin blood is normally, then make it melt and boil at a very s higher temperature.
!!boiling thermite!! anybody?

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: September 28, 2010, 01:33:30 am »

Do you know how OP grenades in crossbows would be? It'd be titan-smashing, BC-obliterating, clown-crushing, and that's just unfai...r....

I have to do this now.

Also, the grenades seem to work fine as ammo. They don't explode spectacularly yet, but I'm sure there's some way I can make them combust and start grassfires. Especially if they're shooting at an elven convoy full of wood.

I have to do this now.

Since you are making them out of a special material, make it catch on fire just bellow the temperature that dwarfgoblin blood is normally, then make it melt and boil at a very s higher temperature.

That.

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:magma]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: September 28, 2010, 03:08:49 am »

I have to do this now.

Make the grenades out of zinc and have the grenades explode hotter than magma.
Quote from: magmawiki
Interestingly, magma is hot enough to boil zinc, and the resulting vapor can be quite dangerous to any creatures nearby.
Derp.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: September 28, 2010, 03:37:02 am »

Make the grenades out of zinc and have the grenades explode hotter than magma.
Quote from: magmawiki
Interestingly, magma is hot enough to boil zinc, and the resulting vapor can be quite dangerous to any creatures nearby.
I knew this, although this gives me an idea for a trap
Code: [Select]
##-##
#+++#
#+++#
##^##
#T^T#
##^##
#+++#
#+++#
##-##
#=Wall
-= floor
^= Pressure plate, linked to floor hatches and bridges.
T=Floor hatch with magma underneath and zinc item on top
+= Bridge, the "inner" side has nothing underneath but magma.
This pretty much traps them in with the boiling zinc until they die.
There could possible be some way to remotely reload the zinc trap

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: September 28, 2010, 03:52:03 am »

My first FB -- a giant skinless alligator. I didn't expect him to act like this, but he acts the way he looks, like an alligator. He lurks under a bridge and jumps out at anyone who passes by, so slowly that civilians outrun him, and only managed to get two dogs and a baby. But whenever I bring a squad around, he stays underwater, lurking. Still no idea what kind of threat he is. I could just tap the volcano and let it burn him out, but that'll cut off my water supply and disrupt the magmaworks up top, not to mention the silk plant I just set up near the only patch of subterranean floor.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: September 28, 2010, 03:54:32 am »

Recently I had a blob of fire move into the caves and start its own KFC, deep-frying members of  the native giant cave swallow-men tribe. In its spare time, it likes go for a swim, evaporating gallons upon gallons of water from the underground lake. Needless to say, it's having an awesome time down there.

Planning to invite the neighboring hippies and gobos to "enrich" my guest's menu.
Hmm... elf burger!
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: September 28, 2010, 07:14:43 am »

My first attempt at irrigation, followed by my attempt to spread out the water I'd let overfill from the brook, ended up making my farming area about twelve times as big as I intended it to be.
くコ:彡

Tranum

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: September 28, 2010, 08:21:39 am »

Well, in my most recent fortress, (my first actually successful fortress, complete with noble genocide) I had recently burst through to HFS.  The fort had been going for about fifteen years, and I was getting bored.  I had essentially dug out the vast majority of the bottom z-level, and had locked my 5xlegendary engraver (last of the original 7) in the resulting cavern.  He was set to trigger the mountain-collapsing lever the moment the military got slaughtered, which they did.

Next, I set him up to engrave the massive chamber, one square at a time, so I could actually look at them before he died.

Several thousand masterwork engravings later, he arrives at the last square in the chamber, and sets to work.

Now, this last dwarf was married to one of the crossbow dwarves.

I'm not on my usual DF computer right now, and I can't check legends, so I'm going to paraphrase what the engraving said.

"This is a masterful engraving by Cog *cannot remember title* of Urist *cannot remember title* and *head of the wave of demons*.  The dwarf is laughing.  The demon is crying.  This relates to the striking down of the *demon* by Urist in the midspring of 79."

With his dying breaths, my last remaining dwarf had carved an image of his wife shooting the head of a demonic horde in the face at point blank range.

By a bizarre coincidence, it was at that exact point in time where one of the other guys on my floor started practicing his bagpipes.  It was glorious.

SRN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: September 28, 2010, 08:30:39 am »

That is the best thing ever. That is fucking glorious.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: September 28, 2010, 11:26:10 am »

The gator beast was put down with only the loss of one dwarf and another dog. Should be good eatin', you think? Then a minotaur showed up at the same time as the dwarven traders, and just as he was pawing at the Depot he got whacked by the merchant guards. They didn't even take a scratch. That's a good reminder not to fuck with them.

Noticed this on a dwarven baby: "has gone without a drink for far far too long".

Oh, poor baby -- infancy is rough, I remember how it was, screaming my head off and no one would give me any alcohol. "I wanna drink! No, don't you point that fucking bottle at me, beer me! Hey, what's that you're drinking...oh, you bitch! Drinking right in front of me, and I haven't had booze since I was in the womb, then you cut me off! I hate you, mom! Waaaaaaah!"

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: September 28, 2010, 11:44:11 am »

Fikod Vabokluzat, creator of the 156000 worth cat figurine, pride of Darkmeadow, and son of Ral Kegetholon(mayor), was just slain by a Kobold thief outside the fortress. I imagine this is going to make Ral Kegetholon, who already despises Kobolds, start a crusade against them. I guess this is as good a time as any to test out the new adamantine blades that my military has been given.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: September 28, 2010, 12:28:59 pm »

I have to do this now.

Done.... sort of.

Instead of having it catch on fire when it hits stuff, I'm just going to have it vaporise. Might add fire to it later.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: September 28, 2010, 12:48:49 pm »

Now a titan -- this has been a busy goddamn year. No casualties this time, but one of my axedwarves has become a wrestler. I hope we can save his arm, because I didn't train him and make him a steel axe for nothing.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: September 28, 2010, 03:06:30 pm »

A bug caused all my dug-out areas to become 'undug' (not a cave in) - the trapped miners are still alive, though I can't see them, and items stored inside still appear in the stocks screen.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #6479 on: September 28, 2010, 04:48:20 pm »

A few ambushes gave me some extra whips to work with.  So, continuing Project Bloodriver, I went and set up weapon traps.

Before going ahead, I decided to jot down some points along the path where things get more intense.  First, just whips.  Then, whips and a serrated disc.  Then, add a spiked ball.  And the final stage is a few traps with the works thrown into them.

I set up a few Stage 2 traps: a whip and a serrated disc.

A few months later, I get eight goblin ambushes on top of one another.

Everyone runs inside.  The goblins chase after them and into the trap alley.  The whips barely slow them down.

The serrated discs, however, completely destroy them!

Body parts fly all over the place, throwing blood and bodies into the river below and causing a huge gash of red to run along the map, pooling into the basin before vanishing over the edge.  Not a single goblin made it past Stage 2.  The rest ran away.

Oh, and the elf traders got killed along the way.  :D
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 3842