Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125215 times)

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6435 on: September 26, 2010, 02:05:50 pm »

So far the only thing I've come up with is attempting to undermine them, how deep and wide should I mine to get a cave-in?

cave in happens when there is nothing to support left to support what you want to cave in, so as wide as is necesarry to get all/most of the invaders/as much as you have time for. Im not sure how far the fall will have to be to actually kill the ones on top though. I think cave in based on size of a room was only the 2d version.

OT: Twinklecrypt just got 20 imigrants, doubling the population. put 4 into the military under guidance of my two veterans. one of the recruits became axe lord in about a month thanks to danger room, but got attached to a silver battle axe and I replaced him after I had a chance to see how awful it was.

Expanded foothold in first caverns and found a good amount of gold. Also digged out lignite somewhere, so now making coke. Learned my lesson from the tantrum spiral and are keeping my dwarfs busy and, hopefully, friendless.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6436 on: September 26, 2010, 02:11:43 pm »

@Cheese: Atom smasher hallways are your friend. The humans will try to make peace eventually.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6437 on: September 26, 2010, 02:13:58 pm »

Just got an artifact horse leather high boot.(only 5k DB)
"This is a horse leather high boot. All craftsmanship is of highest quality.
On the item is an image of Osel Groovedwitch the draconian and draconians in horse leather. Osel Groovedwitch is surrounded by draconians. The artwork relates to the appointment of the draconian Osel Groovedwitch to the position of arch dracon of the Wickedness of Sinking in 1.
On the item is an image of Kitur Nightmarelung the draconian and draconians in cow leather. Kitur Nightmarelung is surrounded by draconians. The artwork relates to the ascension of the draconian Kitur Nightmarelung to primarch of the Wickedness of Sinking in 1.
On the item is an image of a bat in alder."
(Historic stuff, then a bat? Is she crazy? She doesn't even like bats!)
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6438 on: September 26, 2010, 02:54:31 pm »

Humans are at the gates because goblin raiders killed their diplomat. Goblin raiders are here too, so why aren't they going after each other?

Oh well, my siege operator has plenty of stones to throw at them while three squads are training inside. By the time I slaughter all these mules, my breeding animals will have birthed another generation. Terracing the mountainside seems to give me such a good mix of both exterior biome and cavern plants that I don't even need to farm, which is fortunate since the caverns below are so full of water that I hardly have ground to stand on. So I'm set to wait it out, and when the gates open again I'll be the richest city to trade with. If I get bored, I could just open the drawbridge and let them meet my giant.

mdom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6439 on: September 26, 2010, 03:33:35 pm »

Goddamnit elves. They just sent two ambushes underground three levels down into my fortress to kill all my animals. Every announcement is "[Insert Cute Animal] has bled to death."

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6440 on: September 26, 2010, 05:07:11 pm »

My irrigation system was interrupted because I think I've found an underground river. I restarted from the initial save and I'm going to have my miner sacrifice himself this time to find out its location/width/depth.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6441 on: September 26, 2010, 05:14:20 pm »

I just had to savescum to avoid loosing an ongoing megaproject after a forgotten beast teleported through solid rock and killed all my dwarves.  I don't mind losing honestly, but losing to a bug is unacceptable.  Seriously, there was no conceivable path for it to get in, and several solid Z-levels of rock between where it was last seen and where it suddenly was attacking my dwarves.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6442 on: September 26, 2010, 05:20:42 pm »

I just had to savescum to avoid loosing an ongoing megaproject after a forgotten beast teleported through solid rock and killed all my dwarves.  I don't mind losing honestly, but losing to a bug is unacceptable.  Seriously, there was no conceivable path for it to get in, and several solid Z-levels of rock between where it was last seen and where it suddenly was attacking my dwarves.
Could it go through a volcano/magma pipe?

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6443 on: September 26, 2010, 09:29:17 pm »

Project: 'Eh, Funit' has begun. The top floor has been prepared to drop on everything. The lowest level is being prepared so that if the want arises, I can cause the whole mountain to collapse as well as the whole map to drop an entire level, thus killing everything, at the throw of a switch. The switch is in a safe place to prevent a tantruming dwarf from prematurely killing everything. It's right next to the switch that drops the elephants/unicorns/everythinginacageinorbit. The results should be fun.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6444 on: September 27, 2010, 12:32:16 am »

I'm going to flood the underground caves from a near by river and watch all the creatures die.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6445 on: September 27, 2010, 12:43:39 am »

I haven't had the opportunity to test this under controlled conditions, but I believe that if your entrance is blocked by traps that were there when the human emissary came to visit, human sieges won't path into your fortress.  However, if you construct new traps and deconstruct the old...
Sounds likely. When I opened up, the goblins accepted my invitation, but the humans stayed put. But a few times when I was expanding the terraces I left security holes, and they headed straight toward it but went back to camp when I blocked them off again. I may just go meet them on open fiend since my siege operator has been wearing them down a bit; the ones that are still alive don't have many workable limbs left.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6446 on: September 27, 2010, 01:56:20 am »

My recently made .14 fortress (which conveniently features galena, gold, iron, steel, and a babbling brook) just got the first wave of migrants, which is 4. Now they're currently beating each others faces in with wooden training axes while I get my metal industry rolling.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6447 on: September 27, 2010, 08:02:37 am »

The dwarven child that I posted about earlier? The one with the very valuable fungiwood cat figurine? Yes, that one. Well, it looks like Darkmeadow has declared him a reincarnation of the deity Nom. They've done nothing but engrave tales of his magical adventures onto the tomb walls, and one dwarf even went as far as to forge a golden statue of Fikod Orbscrubs carrying his figurine. The statue now stands in the dining hall. At least my dwarves are enjoying the waste of resources that went into making the figurine.

But now I'm going to try and bring down the Forgotten Beast(s) lurking in the caverns below. This should be fun.

SRN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6448 on: September 27, 2010, 09:13:06 am »

Ringblazed went to hell pretty quickly. Embarked on a lonely island, didn't hit stone at all, wanted to breach through the acquifer using a plug like in Oilfurnace but a Mason of mine got into a fey mood, didn't get what he wanted, I forgot about him and he went berzerk during a party and killed dogs, cats and dorfs. Tantrum spiral, no migrants arrived, death of Ringblazed. I am horrible Dwarf Fortress player. Now on to Workluck!

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6449 on: September 27, 2010, 10:07:06 am »

I'm going to make the most of this flooded cavern and see if I can make a spire city. There'll be a warehouse hub at ceiling level, a network of pontoons at the water level, and walkways between them at intervals up the sides. Each spire will be like a skyscraper, housing it's own shops, the worker's homes, cafeteria and brewery. It'll be about impossible to defend, so I'm keeping a single, destructible access to the fort above, in case I have to scuttle the whole thing.
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 3842