Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125222 times)

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6420 on: September 26, 2010, 01:51:10 am »

Started my first .14 fort today and things are going pretty well. It's only first autumn and I got two more migrant waves to help out with the workload. No casualties and resources are looking good. The only hiccup I noticed was before I even unpaused the game. I got a message that said "A section of the cavern collapses!" I don't know if this will help or hinder my dwarves but, so far so good.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6421 on: September 26, 2010, 04:47:37 am »

Clownite mining has gone as far as I'm willing to go for the moment, I'm now having it processed into strands. I should also have enough steel for 10-12 full armour sets in a couple seasons too. Only have 5 dwarves in military atm and I missed the huge spring migrant wave because of the Dwarf caravan not arriving due to a siege. So no migrants till next year  >:(. I also got my first swordsmaster, the graphic for them in Phoebus' tileset is amazing.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6422 on: September 26, 2010, 05:48:33 am »

DEATHCHAMBERS!!! A hollowed out volcano with magma and enough caverns of everyone!

With a name like that, I wish more was happening.  No goblins or kobolds near, and I've got 178 dwarves with a worth of 3.6 million star-thingies. I'm feeling so under-attacked that I've just tunnelled 40 levels to the second cavern.  Total cavern monsters - one giant toad and two giant olm, none of whom are doing anything.

First Bronze Colossus snuck through a diagonal in my swiss-cheesing of the volcano, and surprisingly my 8 strong militia killed it with only three casualties in the middle of the bedroom level.  Just now a Forest Titan, an acid breathing, tentacled, featherless giant swallow with many eyes came in, flew over my walls and traps and into my wild strawberry plantations.  Scrambled three and 1/2 squads, but only one crossbowdwarf comes out, with his pet vulture.  Proceeds to sever the titan's spine with the first bronze bolt, and then the vulture appears to rip the titan apart.  Now it just sits on the ledge three levels above my gate, right in front of the windows in the dining room (the vulture, that is).

Have been reducing the pet cat number with the drawbridge, but carefully, to avoid sadness and insane dwarves...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Maninblack144

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6423 on: September 26, 2010, 06:03:58 am »

Finished creating sleeping quarters for my 57-dorf population, carved out of the wall of the first cavern layer. I had designated exactly 55 chambers (2 marriages), and created work orders for 55 beds, coffers, doors and cabinets. An hour later and everything is done, except for a single cabinet. I wait a while for it to finish, but it just didn't happen. So I check units and it turns out of my 4 masons, 2 were eating, one was On Break, and the last was having a part-ay.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6424 on: September 26, 2010, 08:58:26 am »

might have to consider the 20-z chasm drop execution platform which has been integrated into a pressurised waterfall flood trap protecing my spiral entrance, flushing invaders and overcurious wildlife to thier gravity assisted doom...

it was successfully tested with several goats and marmots, causing nice red lumpy splashes at the bottom. based on the successful testing, 3 goblin thieves were dispatched without incident, save thier hilariouls last few moments.

the 4th escaped pitting and took some chasing (he must have heared the screams of his comrades) before being recaptured and dropped. the 5th also escaped, motivated by an unhelathy desire to save his own skin. he proptly oneshotted the head off my baron which arced off into the chasm. more fool me for not dumping his large silver dagger. baron was a legendary trader and one of my starting 7. tantrums to follow i suspect. well, at least the artifact coffin in his tomb now has a use. if this was not enough, in the resulting melee a rookie speardwarf decided to tackle the offending gobbo off the edge, unsuprisingly resulting in both thier deaths.

so, yea, the trap will be left for passive use via pressurised waterfall flooding, and an arena for prisoner baiting is in construction.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 09:03:10 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Maninblack144

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6425 on: September 26, 2010, 09:01:18 am »

You should somehow retrieve his head and find a way to drop it on his coffin.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6426 on: September 26, 2010, 09:34:29 am »

Embarked on a 2x2 desert surrounded by mountain tiles. The desert touches one end of the screen, and there is a volcano as well, so it ends up like this:

^^^^
DD^^
DDV^
^^^^

It's pretty cool, and has like 100k native gold and tetrahedrite.

It's also untamed wilds, which means GDS.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: September 26, 2010, 09:52:49 am »

Emenshorast just went into it's 12 year of existence. Elves are not coming with sharp sticks so I might be handling diplomacy wrong.

Also, as previous year marked the death of the last Megabeast, at 1st Granite the World has passed into The Golden Age.

And the dwarves just ended tossing 7k of stones and goblin clothes into the DAS. Gained 2-4FPS from that (so it oscillates around 18 now).

All is well in Emenshorast :D
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: September 26, 2010, 10:07:30 am »

I embarked on a map where there's a gold vein on every z-level.  I now have over 50k Gold nuggets and no idea what the fuck to do with em

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6429 on: September 26, 2010, 10:12:11 am »

I embarked on a map where there's a gold vein on every z-level.  I now have over 50k Gold nuggets and no idea what the f*** to do with em
Pave the map in gold.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: September 26, 2010, 10:28:49 am »

I believe that if a path to it is ever opened, it will be retrieved and put in the coffin automatically. I remember a dwarf carrying the right hand of a long buried dwarf to the tombs in a previous fort.

That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6431 on: September 26, 2010, 10:35:43 am »

I believe that if a path to it is ever opened, it will be retrieved and put in the coffin automatically. I remember a dwarf carrying the right hand of a long buried dwarf to the tombs in a previous fort.

This is true.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6432 on: September 26, 2010, 11:09:45 am »

Humans are laying siege again, lost 2 dwarves that were outside and a goblin ambush decided to show up. I need them gone in a season or I won't get the dwarf caravan and hence migrants, which I need to fill up my military. I wish I had a captured FB or something to release :/
So far the only thing I've come up with is attempting to undermine them, how deep and wide should I mine to get a cave-in?
Is there anyway to make peace?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:23:32 am by Cheese »

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6433 on: September 26, 2010, 12:26:25 pm »

Darkmeadow seems to be an epicentre for strange moods at the moment. Just a few months after the fungiwood figurine of a cat was constructed by Fikod Vabokluzat, another dwarf has been possessed. This time it's Edzul Logemastod, a carpenter. So far, he has carried 2 gold bars, 2 logs, 2 gems, a stone block, a bar of silver, and a piece of cloth to the Carpenter's Workshop. Should be fairly interesting to see what he constructs.

Other than that, Darkmeadow is quite peaceful for the time being. Some migrants have arrived, so I'll need to construct some extra quarters and dormitories. The next caravan should make that easy enough, assuming they bring as much wood as they did last time(wood is remarkably sparse in the area, and I'm not going to be sending out wood cutters after what happened to the last group. Their broken bones still lie in the brook).

EDIT: "This is a pine table. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with larch and giant cave spider silk and encircled with bands of gold. This object menaces with spikes of pine and schorl. On the item is an image of Astesh Cloudyboats the dwarf and dwarves in silver. Astesh Cloudyboats is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the ascension of the dwarf Astesh Cloudyboats to the position of king of The Shield of Seasons in 1.
On the item is an image of full moons in gold. On the item is an image of a mango tree in bone opal. On the item is an image of ants in phyllite."

Value? 108000 Dorfbucks. So, it's a very valuable table.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:43:33 pm by Serio »

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6434 on: September 26, 2010, 01:58:47 pm »

Humans are laying siege again, lost 2 dwarves that were outside and a goblin ambush decided to show up. I need them gone in a season or I won't get the dwarf caravan and hence migrants, which I need to fill up my military. I wish I had a captured FB or something to release :/
So far the only thing I've come up with is attempting to undermine them, how deep and wide should I mine to get a cave-in?
Is there anyway to make peace?

I haven't had the opportunity to test this under controlled conditions, but I believe that if your entrance is blocked by traps that were there when the human emissary came to visit, human sieges won't path into your fortress.  However, if you construct new traps and deconstruct the old...
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 3842