Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125348 times)

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6405 on: September 25, 2010, 11:57:24 am »

No, just the one tile they couldn't reach I had them dig out, and the single floor tile punched through the roof.  No injuries!

_<---collapsing tile
       \/
######
#farm  #
######

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #6406 on: September 25, 2010, 12:09:29 pm »

fair enough.

an upwards ramp would have done the trick

but anyways, to the farms. have you checked that the tiles have above ground in all of the tile attributes of the area the farm covers?
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6407 on: September 25, 2010, 12:11:10 pm »

Mining out the cotton candy.
I'm so damn lucky.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6408 on: September 25, 2010, 12:21:16 pm »

Yes I have, and they do.
Also, I'm playing my 40d nostalgia fort, if that helps.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6409 on: September 25, 2010, 12:34:38 pm »

And what better way to celebrate the end of the siege than with Forgotten Beasts! Two of them! And my military still sucks. One of them is a giant flying lobster. On top of being able to bypass any my cavern barricades, he also spews deadly dust. He attacked almost instantly, tearing up the entire underground farm. He then encountered a forge master, who he is now chasing in a chamber 3 z levels beneath the heart of Townbrush. What is my military doing? I have no fucking clue. One of them is down in the caverns. The other is messing around outside. The third one is in the food stockpile, presumably shoving as many plump helmets into his backpack as he can to avoid having to fight. These are the brave heroes of Townbrush!
Use a station order as close to the FB as you can, they should run off towards it.

If I didn't understand how to station dwarves, I'm pretty sure this fort would have never made it past the first year. Problem was the idiots were ignoring the station orders. Probably had something to do with the previous orders I gave them.

Not that it matters now. The beast is dead, thankfully with no casualties. However it did chop several limbs off one of the axedwarves. Also its deadly dust causes blisters. So now a ton of Dwarves have blisters covering every inch of their body.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6410 on: September 25, 2010, 12:37:06 pm »

A second FB, fairly easily dispatched with a shield to the head. For some reason it never used it's fire breath.
Found my first clownite  :D Mining it cautiously, it seems to be surrounded by the magma sea. Only going for 3 or 4 levels, is that generally safe? I'm planning on keeping this fort a while, don't want to accidentally breach HFS with my 5 man military.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6411 on: September 25, 2010, 01:06:33 pm »

Not that it matters now. The beast is dead, thankfully with no casualties. However it did chop several limbs off one of the axedwarves.

On average, how many limbs do your axedwarves have?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6412 on: September 25, 2010, 03:19:18 pm »

New fort is in its early stages.... and I unwittingly locked a few buzzards into my storeroom. Now they're just sitting there, raping my FPS trying to get out and scaring all my dwarves crapless. Waiting for my smith to finish a stupid copper crossbow so a hunter can dispatch them.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6413 on: September 25, 2010, 04:34:26 pm »

Just learned the importance of properly trained military today.

Got a thief and a snatcher straight after each other. both was discovered by one of my two axedwarfs and and they where both killed with a single hit before moving more than a few tiles. as this was happening a goblin squad enters the map and makes a pincushin out of a cyclops thats been occupying my river project for several years. Since he's been down in the river I have just been ignoring him since I don't feel like giving my military swimming or flying lessons.

anyway, while the gobbos are busy, I find that the thiefs snuck in via the new main entrance, which I forgott about halfway through remaiking it. Since I dont want my military full of arrows as well, I station them behind a tower, so they can get into melee fast. One actually does this, while the other decides its time for his nap. just as I pause the game to look for the sleepy one, 5 kobolds ambush the dwarf following my orders, so I unpause the game instead of pausing it. before I realise the axedwarf hulks out and kills them all, before charging the gobbos now in line of sight and slaughters them too, except the two who was smart and ran while their buddies was slaughtered.

I think I just might have to expand that dwarfs tomb.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6414 on: September 25, 2010, 06:16:27 pm »

I ended that fort due to the fact that I got a third migrant wave. I dun like getting too many migrant waves...

Any recommendations for crap I should mod in before I gen the next world?
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6415 on: September 25, 2010, 07:46:27 pm »

I embarked in a temperate area with a major river. The wagon was on the frozen river. I marked all the items for dumping and set up a garbage thing off the river.
The river unfroze and I now only have 3 dwarves.
Lovely.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6416 on: September 25, 2010, 08:23:22 pm »

I thought I could catch an intruder for target practice. When a hostile enters, 90% of the entry corridor drops away, leaving a long and winding path of weapon traps filled with training weapons, through 1-level pits with floor grates over the ramps at an edge of each pit.

And it works, next critter to breach the gate is going to have a giant for company. Surprisingly, the grates don't alarm every civilian who walks across, so I assume that means it's not possible to shoot him through them? The floor can be opened by levers behind fortifications along each side of the corridor, so they could pelt him with bone bolts for practice, when I get around to it.

flatlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6417 on: September 25, 2010, 10:23:38 pm »

After building an 11 level aquifer piercing pump stack I am now sealing it so that I can turn it into an 11 level drowning chamber. Oh what fun!
Check out my webcomic at epicgotime.com

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6418 on: September 25, 2010, 10:37:23 pm »

Finishing up my weapon trap with 10 addy serrated discs.
There's also three draconians partying for the new year.
Current date:
15th Granite
_________
Edit:Got a marriage! And a random worm FB that shoots fire died without my knowledge.
EDIT2:Just got the last of my suicide squad taken down by a cave croc. Slew it with my two sword draconians.
EDIT3!:My old fisherwoman is hauling a 6-ton FB to the fortress.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 11:32:17 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6419 on: September 26, 2010, 12:24:35 am »

Embarked in a cold haunted area with a volcano. My dwarves embark site is at the mouth of the volcano. Right next to the volcano is this single conical mountain, and just south of the mountain is a river. The mountain and the volcano form a very narrow valley. It has lots of flux stone, but no wood. I am very happy with this embark site. It's almost a natural castle. I can dig a 3 z level deep wide magma moat around the entire thing and put a dry moat behind the magma moat. I can fill the dry moat with obsidian spike traps. In the middle of the moat, I'll have a gate house with drawbridges. Everything will be made of obsidian. I'm serious when I tell you that the mountain is shaped exactly like Minis Tirith from Lord of the Rings. I just wish that we could build diagonally.
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 3842