Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125660 times)

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6315 on: September 22, 2010, 07:52:44 pm »

A thief just stole a legendary silk sock. I didn't know that could actually happen. What the heck is going on around here??

On a related note how do I stop thieves? Kobolds are immune to my dwarf-only trap corridors.

MechaGodzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6316 on: September 22, 2010, 07:55:47 pm »

A thief just stole a legendary silk sock. I didn't know that could actually happen. What the heck is going on around here??

On a related note how do I stop thieves? Kobolds are immune to my dwarf-only trap corridors.
put a chained guard animal. dog, cow, cat, etc...
once discovered thy run off.... usually.

As to my fort....
A child got a fey mood, and immediately took over a craft workshop....
He made a Cat bone bed- "Princeyelled the Prestigious Butcher!"

Even though its completely worthless, it made me laugh

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6317 on: September 22, 2010, 09:08:16 pm »

Display case mod... or use animals

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6318 on: September 22, 2010, 09:21:38 pm »

I have a trap you could use if you had magma that results in near-guaranteed incineration.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6319 on: September 22, 2010, 09:29:03 pm »

get a military fast, you're about to get trap-immune ambushes regularly.

First time ever with kobolds was awful, i was hiding behind a wall of cage and weapon traps and they just walked right in and started shooting holes in dwarves with bows.

Anyway, spoilers and whatnot below:

Anyway, my current fort of 14 years is gearing up to hit the circus tent. Currently waiting on marksdwarves and the siege operator squad to train up in their respective weapons before i either win everything or lose it all.

Here's our first line of defense:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Each of those is packed full of 10 menacing spikes or spears, mostly steel and bronze/bismuth bronze, though a few are made out of copper from goblinite and whatnot. I plan to keep building them down the hallway until my marksdwarf squad hits legendary. Think i lost an adamantine spear in there somewhere too, but nobody was using it so oh well.(That one up/down stair will be removed once i'm done, it's just there to speed building the traps and linking them to my 2 million dwarf$ raw adamantine artifact lever)

Line of Defense #2:

There are 4 all-masterwork ballista here with an ammo stockpile that SHOULD have all 60 of my extra exceptional/masterwork steel ballista arrows in it, however my haulers are too busy partying and taking season long naps to bring the other arrows down at the moment. These will be staffed by 4 legendary siege operators, who once their position is compromised, will also be found to be 3 legendary axe lords and a master lasher using an artifact adamantine scourge. I don't think they will *need* to fight at this point though, because of Line of Defense 2.5 in this plan. See that single support by the down stairway? it's supporting this:

When the lever, 80 or so zlevels above this floor, is pulled, the support will be destroyed and this will cave in, not only on the clowns advancing towards the ballista battery, but it will also drop through this floor and crush all the clowns on the floor below as well, as the hallway below is dug out in the exact same shape. HOPEFULLY, the siege operators will have safely retreated upwards at this point to our final line of defense:

Line of Defense #3:

All our War Black Bears lead by our War Grizzly Bear will stand here with our 10 man militia, hopefully our engineer squad if they can retreat from their ballista battery in time, and The Captain of the Guard and his 9 subordinate Marksdwarves will be stationed inside the fortifications on the far right side(which will eventually be a huge ammo stockpile. I will lure as many of the clowns in as possible, then lock the hatches here and two floors up. Should the battle still go poorly, the support mixed in with the animals is set to cause another cave-in shaped to destroy everything but that which is inside the fortifications, which will probably only recieve a blast of dust that will likely render them unconscious. Due to the obvious danger, all non-Guard military personnel have been assigned a Royal Mausoleum for their possible sacrifice. The Guard will go without due to the relative safety that their role plays. You know, the relative safety of releasing all the demons of hell to attack the surface, and all.

If this last defense falls, then that's that. It's all over, they win and I lose, etc. But if i win, i'll definitely be going downstairs to set up shop.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:16:49 pm by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

SilentStan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6320 on: September 22, 2010, 10:04:03 pm »

My fortress is about 15 years old now. Pop capped at 100, and I have about half the population running around with legendary social skills because my management skills in giving them shit to do is terrible. I spent the better part of 12 or 13 years completely without a military, holing myself up in the fort behind masses of traps. Upside, I have iron bars (thanks to my magma forges) coming out my ass, and rooms upon rooms of finished goods to throw at traders.

I spent about 6 or 7 years straight, under siege from goblins and humans, with kobold ambushes occuring whenever both the other races gave up and I tried to chance a run for wood. Now I have a fully steel clad squad of 10 dwarves, who are all legendary fucking EVERYTHING and are subsequently untouchable. I started a new squad this season just so I had dwarves to cycle in when Im trying to guard stuff, and to build up to a push on the lower caverns.

The upper caverns are currently housing the better part of 20-ish FBs. two are made of flame, and quite a few have poisonous stings and bites. I dont think Ill ever successfully take them. The lower caverns, however, are populated by two FBs, so I think Ill go down there soon and clear it out for populating.

Curiously, for all my FBs, I have not seen a single titan ever, or even a pseudo-megabeast in the last decade. I had 2 ettins, a cyclops and a minotaur turn up in the first few years of the fort, but nothing recently. Even the humans made peace with me, and the goblins havnt even ambushed in a few seasons since I smashed the last few sieges as soon as they happened with my super-squad. I embarked in an untamed wilderness for the challenge, but I have had a single alligator sitting in my river for about a decade, and no other wildlife to speak of.

It might be megaproject time soon...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6321 on: September 22, 2010, 10:17:48 pm »

<HFS Defense>

Wou'll want to wall off 2.5. They can fly.

EDIT: Finally got around to testing my anti-thief trap to make sure it actually works. So far it's killed three four of my test dwarves as they tried to stockpile the platinum test goblet. The goblet remains in its original position. Analysis of the blood pool immediately underneath it (specifically, someone got that far, said fuck it, and went back before melting horribly) suggests that a method of blocking off the flow so my dwarves can replace the bait is in order.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:41:25 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6322 on: September 22, 2010, 11:00:19 pm »

<HFS Defense>

Wou'll want to wall off 2.5. They can fly.

EDIT: Finally got around to testing my anti-thief trap to make sure it actually works. So far it's killed three four of my test dwarves as they tried to stockpile the platinum test goblet. The goblet remains in its original position. Analysis of the blood pool immediately underneath it (specifically, someone got that far, said fuck it, and went back before melting horribly) suggests that a method of blocking off the flow so my dwarves can replace the bait is in order.

Ooh, good point, they could totally ignore the siege engines if i don't do that, totally forgot about it.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6323 on: September 22, 2010, 11:04:36 pm »

There are is now three two one living dwarves dwarf in my test fort. Seven Eight Nine have been killed by the trap and my miner died breaching the volcano and idiotically trying to clean up the magma. I'm riding it to the end.

EDIT: Your fortress has crumbled to its end.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:20:27 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #6324 on: September 22, 2010, 11:13:55 pm »

Note that thieves can steal stuff left lying around outside after battles, as well.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6325 on: September 23, 2010, 01:27:09 am »

Although it isn't a fortress yet, I just embarked in an interesting location. It has a 48-tile wide major river running through it, with a small(it drops 1 z-level) waterfall in it. It has a minor river/stream(not sure which) coming out of it, which has its own 1-zlevel waterfall
Also I have a page-worth of carp.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6326 on: September 23, 2010, 02:09:47 am »

I think I may have fixed the Pheriumsplosion. Now if only I could hit a therite vein in order to test that...

Edit: Yep, I fixed it. The problem was with quantity specification - I was having it use 1/100th of a therium bar and 1/100ths of an iron bar to make 1/100th of a pherium bar, which the game then read as an untra-light, ultra-tiny bar of pherium. Naturally, the other 99/100ths of the therium and iron had to go somewhere, so they went into making more tiny bars of pherium. Thus, PHERIUMSPLOSION.

How my smiths made bins, bullets, kunai, and god-knows-what-else out of bars the size of their pinky, I don't know.

So now I actually have a fort with modded-in metals that work like they're supposed to. FINALLY.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:24:20 am by TherosPherae »
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6327 on: September 23, 2010, 04:36:58 am »

At the moment nothing really as I'm working outside of the town but I've been drawing tons of plans for the fort and scouring the forums for inspiration, for example by reading every single post in this topic. My brains are going on dwarven overdrive and I think I might develop a strange mood soon.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6328 on: September 23, 2010, 06:09:35 am »

Make a big ol' necropolis.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Maninblack144

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6329 on: September 23, 2010, 06:25:56 am »

Armorsmith got possessed:
My home Civ appears to be obsessed with ceilings and attics. At least to some degree, since my fort has a totally unrelated name.

Managed to get a water cistern filled during the very short period the stream thaws, and built a pump above the farm area to recycle the irrigation water. A lot of salmons have appeared in it as well, so that's some nice free food.

Since I had to gather a ton of plants to get some booze after embark, I am now actively producing more than half of the existing booze types. The entire fortress is estatic as a result, despite a miner melting in an unfortunate magma accident. He had a very long list of friends, I'm amazed no tantrum spiral happened, but I'll take it.

I'm working on getting some suitable metal industry up and running, but I've only found a single iron-producing vein thus far. An awful lot of worthless Cobalt though, which does make for cool coloured roads.
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 3842