Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125919 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6255 on: September 20, 2010, 02:24:51 pm »

Surely it can't be your Sexy Shoeless Gods of War standing atop their individual mountains of corpses.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: September 20, 2010, 03:22:00 pm »

Dancefloor is sailing along... somewhat smoothly.

• Whenever a goblin ambush arrives, I invariably lose one civilian and one militia dwarf.
  • Since blood cleaning doesn't work, a fair portion of my map is now red.  And that is awesome:D

I concur.

Since the military dwarfs are smileys I can't help but think of them as wading through the sea of blood and body parts with a big smile on their face.

My little Twinklecrypt is in the middle of a nice tantrum spiral, with about half my population miserable. dwarfs are tantruming left and right, killing others, going berserk. I have started deploying my 3 Axe Lords as a riot squad, killingreeducating anyone going berserk. For some reason I have only had Bone Carvers and Animal Dissectors and similar go berserk so far. Interupted by Bone Carver have a nice scary ring to it. Its tempting to put the friendless axe lord as sheriff and toroughly purge my fortress of miserable dwarfsheretics, but I'll see how things go.

Got a Giant and a second siege up above. Since someone decided to destroy the levers controlling my bridges I can't actually get out so I let the goblins turn the Giant into a pincushion.

Edit: Oh god, the blood...

A furnace operator went berserk... with a copper pick... in the room used for jails... in the middle of a party...
He managed to get 7 dwarfs in the few seconds it took the military to get there. Have gone from 80 something to 57 dwarfs in about a season, everyone is everyones friend and 43 dwarfs are currently misserable.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 03:42:22 pm by bremarv »
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Diacritic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: September 20, 2010, 03:42:51 pm »

So, turns out 17 steel-clad dwarves are overkill for the first siege I encountered.  I just kept drafting people because I was tired of having so many idlers.

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:magma]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: September 20, 2010, 04:26:49 pm »

Making an artificial lake so my dwarves may fish while remaining indoors.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:52:29 am by Slayer »
Derp.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: September 20, 2010, 04:48:09 pm »

My newest embark:

Labourrelics.

Holy crap. Those walls go up more or less at 90 degrees. This embark is a giant box surrounded on three sides by sheer cliffs and a volcano. I checked, there is a two tile wide slope going down them. That is the ONLY method of descent from the top of the cliffs. The slopes at the bottom cut off two levels up.

I checked the prospector, and oddly enough, it contains over SIXTY THOUSAND UNITS of GARNIERITE of all things, for reasons I cannot thafom. It also has more marble than I would know what to do with, more coal than I would ever need, and two viens of adamantine which are solid down to one level above hell.

I love it.

Kaeoz Crimson

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike The Earth Until It Bleeds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: September 20, 2010, 05:22:51 pm »

My newest embark:

Labourrelics.

Holy crap. Those walls go up more or less at 90 degrees. This embark is a giant box surrounded on three sides by sheer cliffs and a volcano. I checked, there is a two tile wide slope going down them. That is the ONLY method of descent from the top of the cliffs. The slopes at the bottom cut off two levels up.

I checked the prospector, and oddly enough, it contains over SIXTY THOUSAND UNITS of GARNIERITE of all things, for reasons I cannot thafom. It also has more marble than I would know what to do with, more coal than I would ever need, and two viens of adamantine which are solid down to one level above hell.

I love it.

Wow, you're set up perfectly to handle sieges AND elves. 
Violence, Fire, And Duct Tape Have One Thing In Common: If They're Not Solving The Problem, Then You Need To Use More!
Dwarf Fortress: Proving That Violence IS The Answer Since 2002.
And a thought occurs: if you made soap out of those poison demon squirrels, wouldn't it dissolve your flesh when used?  I THINK WE HAVE OUR NEXT EXPORT TO THE ELVEN KINGDOMS, GENTLEMEN!!!

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: September 20, 2010, 05:34:32 pm »

Give me that map.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: September 20, 2010, 05:50:58 pm »

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: September 20, 2010, 06:09:35 pm »

Ross Gearheart, that map looks like a lot of fun. Only downside I can see is the lack of trees. And who needs trees when you have metric craptons of coal?

Anyways, I genned a new world after fixing a few things in my raws. It would appear that my kunai-things are broken, as my dwarves are not allowed to make the launchers for them.

Oh, and I messed with Pherium's raws a bit. It's still broken. How broken?

A reaction that was supposed to give me 2 Pherium bars gave me 110, give or take a few.

I was going to make a watchtower out of stone, but right now I have enough of this stuff to last me for ages, so....... PHERIUM TOWER OF DOOM
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

MechaGodzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: September 20, 2010, 06:41:12 pm »

After a month of no computer, I finally return to DF, and my current project at "Squarelances".

Building a tower city 40+ z-levels high.... currently at level 10 or so, and on a whim i checked the stocks screen.
Apparently I have more than 11,000 green glass bricks and 2,000 obsidian bricks (all manufactured, as the map im using is pure sedimentary).
Easily the most ive ever had in one of my forts.

That, and I have tons of Clownite!

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: September 20, 2010, 06:44:31 pm »

My Newest fort has me encountering something new! Elven demands! I've been playing since late 2008, and somehow I never embarked in a place that they made demands.

to add insult to injury my trade depot is in an entirely wooden building.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: September 20, 2010, 06:47:50 pm »

I'VE FOUND THE PRECIOUS GREEN METAL
PRAISE THE ENGRAVER WHO FORTIFIED A VOLCANO WALL!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: September 20, 2010, 07:11:23 pm »

Our Fortress has become a duchy! The baron is going to have to be disappointed for a little while longer as all my fortress's dwarven resources are being funneled into the third pump stack, the Volcano Transport System: A FOX Head Subsystem.

Speaking of which, the FOX Head's face continues to sit incomplete as I try to decide how to move forward with it. Soon the new subsystem will be complete and I'll have run out of excuses things to do instead!

Population report: Two more kittens were swiftly adopted behind my back. Wolf pups continue to slowly stream-in from the 3-1 female to male survivor couple. The latest 4 births were female, with one new male ensuring that generations will continue should the adult keel over at last. The former miner, now statue-metal-smith-in-training continues to adopt the new wolves whenever she goes on break. I have not yet succeeded into brainwashing any dwarves with parties 'round a fox cage. The fox population, the official mascot, continues it's long reigning stagnation. At least I confirmed that the populations are capped individually...

Also, our fortress is drowning in food. 14,600 in total stocks, most of those either raw plump helmet or roasts thereof. Still, tons of it are wilting on the vine. Plus dog/cat meat. Lots of dog/cat meat.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:37:40 pm by DrGravitas »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: September 20, 2010, 07:58:13 pm »

My newest embark:

<beauty>

Labourrelics.

I love it.

You have some gabbro there. How much olivine do you have? Do you have sand? Requesting params.

EDIT:
I'VE FOUND THE PRECIOUS GREEN METAL
PRAISE THE ENGRAVER WHO FORTIFIED A VOLCANO WALL!
What green metal?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:04:22 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: September 20, 2010, 11:19:05 pm »

I'm on a quest to build a Raynard Whirlpool apartment from just above the magma sea level to the highest z-level by digging out the underground parts and using the stone to build the above-ground tower level.

I don't even know why, four levels of that plus a noble level is enough to sustain pop cap.
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 3842