Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126355 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6120 on: September 17, 2010, 02:08:58 pm »

Who are the Daren, Kraken? Something modded?

Yeah, they're a race I modded in. One of my first modding projects, and it shows because they're ridiculous. As far as I know they can use all types of metal for weapons and armor. I didn't mean for that to happen, though it makes sense since they're master thieves and would steal all the metal they need from dwarves. But from a game play perspective this is absurd. Darnen soldiers will range from deadly to harmless depending on what they have equipped. For example, during "The Sugar of Executing" they were wielding steel weapons, which is why a single squad was able to wipe out almost the entire fortress. But during "The Canker of Disemboweling", a much larger ambush, they were easily dispatched by a much smaller population since they had crappy weapons and armor. Also they can fly, which always results in fun.

Speaking of which, the Darnen ambush has been repelled. The casualties total up to a bunch of octopudi (which actually works in my favor since I had way to many and was going to sacrifice them to Vesh anyways), a plump helmet woman, and 2 children. Since the fort has a population of only 23, I'd say those 2 deaths are actually a problem. Every death is, because I'm not sure Townbrush is ever going to get another migrant. It's been years since the last wave. Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room.

I really need to be careful with my last two soldiers. They're incredibly strong (one of them has only one hand, yet she somehow managed to hold a shield and battle axe at the same time. And her remaining hand has sensory nerve damage), but that doesn't help you when you are drowning in the ocean. So I have to keep them away from any underwater undead, otherwise they leap into the ocean to fight them. Which means I have to wait for the undead to crawl into the fort and start attacking people before I can safely mobilize the military. It means I also have to deal with "Urist McMason cancels construct last hope of Townbrush: Interrupted by zombie tuna" on a regular basis.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: September 17, 2010, 02:23:20 pm »

I'm sure Townbrush will persist.

It always has in the past.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: September 17, 2010, 03:11:16 pm »

recently embarked in a terrifying biome, my metalsmith got attcked by undead but survived, however the mechanic he has a grudge with decided to talk to him, pushing him over the edge, the metalsmith proceeded to kill the other 5 dwarves leaving him and the mechanic left, then he went berserk and got killed by the dogs.  My mechanic is the only person left, damn crafty bastard engineered the perfect tantrum spiral.
Nom nom nom

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: September 17, 2010, 03:30:33 pm »

After finally getting a fortress running in a terrifying biome, things have been going smoothly. The only problem is that my militia commander has been throwing tantrums, and I had not yet built a jail. Her bronze clothing helped protect her from the beatings the sheriff gave her, but she got into a nasty loop of tantrum -> kill her war dogs ->  more tantrums which has resulted in the death of my Accomplished Weaponsmith and a Farmer and got her sentenced to 400 days of jail time. Once the jail was built she was still miserable, and threw a tantrum while locked up with the last of her war dog pets. 500 days jail time.

In other news, my plans to wall off the waves of zombie gorillas have been halted by a single zombie stingray at the bottom of a 7z gorge. The damn thing won't move and can't be lead out of the river since its too far down, and I doubt crossbows will do much to it. What I DO have, however, is three magma pools in the caverns. The solution is obvious. The interesting part of this plan is that the planned output for the magmafall is about 7 spaces away from a naturally occurring waterfall. I hope that this plan will result in a 6z high and god knows how long cast of magma. If I'm lucky, it will also destroy most of the lower zombie filled river, letting my good-biome fed upper river flood zombieland with wholesome banded knifefish. If I'm superlucky, this plan won't murder my FPS.

@KRAKEN, have you updated to .13? I know that immigration is a bit futzed up in the new version, especially with regards to "Your fortress is a death trap" spam. Not that its terribly inaccurate in your case.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: September 17, 2010, 04:37:53 pm »

@KRAKEN, have you updated to .13? I know that immigration is a bit futzed up in the new version, especially with regards to "Your fortress is a death trap" spam. Not that its terribly inaccurate in your case.

No. The idea of using DF without Therapist is insane to me at this point.

Also I've found that crossbows are quite effective against most zombie fish so long as you use some kind of metal bolt. Iron will do if it's just a stingray.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: September 17, 2010, 04:58:46 pm »

Ran out of both food and booze faster then i expected so im killing a bunch of puppies and making my farmer work over time
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: September 17, 2010, 05:05:42 pm »

So I decided to start a fresh new fort and genned a new world to go along with it. The only tropical ocean was an evil one, but I decided to embark on it anyways. I don't think it will be that bad.

How naive of you.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: September 17, 2010, 05:07:19 pm »

I'm just going to sit here and watch it fall all the way apart.
I attempted this a few days ago. I got lucky and ended up only losing about 90% of my dwarves, leaving 7 or so children and one adult to fend for themselves for a year. Then I got a migrant boost, and from there, all is well.

That would have worked in Vanilla, I'd have had to quarantine most of my fort and such, but I would have never been able to keep animals again, nor use half of my fort. Animals were getting the rot still from just existing somehow, i can only guess it was tracked all over my fort and anything without shoes got it. Adult Dwarves with shoes on would occasionally get it while there were animals alive that had it as well, so that's pretty much that.

However with the fortress defense mod i just got crushed by three trapavoid sieges at once.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: September 17, 2010, 05:40:40 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:28:48 pm by Bronimin »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: September 17, 2010, 06:19:05 pm »

I now have the entire legacy of Townbrush quoted in a .txt file on my desktop. I will read it when I need a reminder that things could always be worse. It is 92kb in size.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: September 17, 2010, 06:20:49 pm »

Today, the Furnace of Executioners was in...

The Shadow of the Bronze Colossus

OK, that joke's probably been done before, but still. Specifically, I was attacked by Vacathi Clawdented the Punches of Biting. Right...

So, my military was 39-dwarves strong, but mostly armed with spears and war hammers. There was a dabbling of swords, axes, and one platinum mace that did nothing, but that was it. The Platinum mace wielder put up a spectacular fight for a while, she landed 20-some blows with her mace in-between every attack the Colossus made (half of the time, they were even strikes from behind!) But, everyone of those heavy hits merely glanced away and she was eventually beat to unconsciousness. Fortunately, there were dwarves to draw the colossus's attention away. The entire military got in on it, plus some pet cats and dog! An endless flood of poorly armed and equipped dwarves washed over the colossus, denting him on occasion with silver war-hammers and steel spears.

When the head finally came off, I imagine the colossus must have looked like tinfoil wadded into the shape of a man. While a few sustained injuries, only two actually died. The Platinum mace wielder, and creator no less, had to go to the hospital. Yet, not a single dwarf came to rescue her. She eventually woke and walked there herself on her two mangled upper/lower legs and mangled left-right hips. I'm vaguely considering renaming her Urist McCrazyLegs.

Updated! I got my first Forgotten Beast (ever!) It was a giant, fire-breathing, eye-lidless, trunked Raven. Suitable to it's form, I though my Fortress was 'nevermore! Ah, but waiting for it at the top of the stairs was my crack military squads. The Dwarves bum rushed it, and with more room to fight, had it surrounded several times over before the merciless mangling began! It was over quickly and had only the change to breath fire once: on a brewer who dodged it as if his stills did it all the time.

Update 2: Another Forgotten Beast already? An Eyeless, croaking, Moth with 4 short horns, and a rough 'n cracked, pine green exoskeleton, that breaths fire? Really? Well it's in part of the resealed caverns so I'm not going to bother with it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:23:08 pm by DrGravitas »

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: September 17, 2010, 06:28:23 pm »

I now have the entire legacy of Townbrush quoted in a .txt file on my desktop. I will read it when I need a reminder that things could always be worse. It is 92kb in size.
That is something I would dearly love to read.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: September 17, 2010, 06:33:59 pm »

Google Docs is being my enemy right now, so it'll be a minute or three.

EDIT: Google Docs hates me, so have it on mediafire!

I should have gotten rid of the forum code...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:46:58 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: September 17, 2010, 09:40:50 pm »

A most hilarious thing happened! A goblin snatcher ran into up to my fort, to find a kitten. The goblin they proceeded to shank my kitten, tearing apart her lower spine. The goblin then took one step into my bronze traps, and got hacked to death.

Also, all of my barrels are made of lead, I foresee bad things happening to my fort in a few years.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: September 17, 2010, 09:51:39 pm »

I foresee no bad things happening in your fort in a few years. Materials themselves acting as poisons has yet to be implemented. Only contaminents poison. Also, lead currently has no attached syndrome.

Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 3842