Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126274 times)

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6105 on: September 17, 2010, 03:53:23 am »

The Lucid Tomes have managed to establish a significant foothold in Airarches, long enough for two waves of migrants to arrive, though job designations have been a bit... sloppy. Perhaps too much priority has been given to constructing the infrastructure of the Deephome and not enough to founding broad industry. Perhaps the obsidian farm could wait for later, but it is a comfort to know the ducts are already in place and can be avoiding while laying out plots for factories, housing, and recreation.

On a sad note, 3/5ths of the dispatching squad has been slain by undead abominations, leaving the two remaining members in rather dour moods. A migrant woodworker unfortunately feel under the sour hand of Stinthad Likotetes... which had an axe in it at the time. The woodworker was briefly mourned as his body was heaped into the graveyard stockpile, as tombs have not been constructed yet.

Update: both of the remaining soldiers have been incapacitated in one way or another and we lack competent medical professionals. However the cage traps at the entrance are almost complete and should deter further hostiles for now. They've already caught two of the abominations, though a hauler on a salvage mission did get her head kicked off by a skeletal elephant.

The Blacksmith has also been struck with melancholy for a few months now. Which is unfortunate because the forges need constructing.

Athel Itonkekim and her baby were slain by a skeletal giant jaguar. I do not know what they, or the eight other dwarves running around like madmen, are doing outside the gates. Fresh migrants have just arrived, though it appears a tantrum spiral is about to erupt.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 04:39:48 am by LemonFrosted »

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: September 17, 2010, 04:23:17 am »

Domas Shedfikod just finished an artifact that surprised me: "This is a obsidian crown. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with obsidian, studded with electrum and encircled with bands of chestnut and rhesus macaque leather. On the item is an image of two clouds in obsidian."
Worth? 37200. I believe she might have a hidden desire to become Queen.

Meanwhile, in the mines deep beneath Darkmeadow, a valiant dwarf, by the name of Lolor Mistemgerig, is digging a deep tunnel in the hopes of retrieving the adamantine his brethren failed to reach the previous year.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 04:25:48 am by Serio »

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: September 17, 2010, 06:06:45 am »

Started a new Fortress called "Dyeaxe". It's in a forest next to a glacier. It's cold.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: September 17, 2010, 08:23:28 am »

MarketBridges(yes there is a big river and bridge) has suffered another ambush attempt 5 golbin squads we drove them back but the newly recruited squad suffered badly! Found the blue stuff in cavern 3 as well :o

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: September 17, 2010, 09:49:35 am »

Wanedtrade is currently constructing a rehabilitation center for addlded dwarfs and criminals , complete with staturary , food and water supply! Other then that , I continue my quest to mine our every vein of iron ore before breaching the caverns below . THE MONSTERS OF THE DEEP SHALL FEEL MY SERRATED IRON BLADES!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: September 17, 2010, 10:21:37 am »

Who are the Daren, Kraken? Something modded?

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: September 17, 2010, 10:25:47 am »

Taking a break from Bootburned to play with the shiny new release.

General observations: 

(1) It takes forever for me to gen worlds in .13, and the settings that got me nice results in .12 tend to spit out five layers of sandy loam aquifer.  I want to see what collapsed six times about a hundred z's down, though, so get through it I shall.  Also have a brook flowing in from the south, suspended six levels above ground.

(2) Rhesus macaques are still a fucking pain.  As soon as I unpaused, about ten of the little bastards made a beeline for the wagon.  I walled it off, using all the ore and rock and wood I bought, and drafted everyone into hunting them down.  They got chary after suffering the first couple casualties, and kept skittering around the edges of the map, too fast for everyone to hunt them down.  All my stuff is walled in with the wagon, except for a single piece of wood and a bunch of rhesus pieces...  what can I do with--oh, right.

As soon as the first corpse was dismembered, they made a mad rush for the butcher's shop.  One actually got off the map with rhesus macaque meat (6).  Yeah...  have fun with that, buddy.  Cannibalistic little freaks.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: September 17, 2010, 10:57:34 am »

Gonna have to put another pump stack just to get past an aquifer layer.  I dun fucked up my first attempt.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: September 17, 2010, 11:07:05 am »

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: September 17, 2010, 11:30:33 am »

rhesus pieces

Best pun ever.

It's not mine, alas.  I don't remember who came up with it originally.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: September 17, 2010, 11:33:31 am »

Was trying to do some work with obsidian casting. Lost 1 dwarf when he was swept off his pumping platform into the aqueduct bringing water to the magma. Lost another when mining out random overflow of obsidian to a cave-in. I've had a grand total of 7 migrants (3 seasons in), so I'm down to 12 dwarves now. Well, the cast finishes, and I tell my dwarves to tear down the dolomite casting wall.

They run off to do it, and suddenly I get the message:

Urist McDeconstructor has been frozen in ice! x 8!

Those who were "lucky" enough to be standing in 1/7 water when the free suddenly hit are now trapped within an ice and obsidian prison. I have no accessible picks, and no way to get them out. The fun-ness of a "temperate" biome!

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: September 17, 2010, 11:40:46 am »

I'm currently watching my greatest fort ever kill itsself.

We'd survived countless sieges of hundreds of various modded and unmodded races without incident, had been progressing well, had finally set up a way to pass through my fortifications quickly without allowing invaders to bypass my traps, and just all in all kicked a ton of ass everywhere. Didn't even have any unfrozen water above ground, we'd been doing just fine without it.

A single deadly dust flying FB i'd forgotten about from early in my fort found a diagonal gap in the bottom of the execution drop i'd dug out to get rid of prisoners quickly and got in my fort. He set off his dust thing one time and didn't manage to kill anyone with it but himself. However, his dust had a rotting syndrome in it, and about 1/5th of the fort caught it before i realized what it was.I made a hospital at my front entrance so that my next siege would kill them and they'd stop getting miasma everywhere. This worked very well, my population dropped from 104 to 80 in about 20 seconds. Then i remembered that instead of my usual humongous meeting space that keeps people from getting to know others well, i'd gone for a 1 tile one to get a mood boost early. So, instead of nobody really caring who dies outside of having to be bothered to haul the corpse to a coffin, everyone is really great friends with pretty much everyone and the mood of the fort goes from awesome to batshit crazy in seconds. I realize that now all the animals have caught the rot and quickly throw them down the execution pit thingy, but it doesn't even matter anymore because people are going berserk, destroying stuff while tantruming, and running around naked babbling like a crazy person.

We're down to 40 now, despite a migrant wave full of fresh faced new workers that were immediately attacked by the mayor who was then seconds later killed by the only remaining sane military. They're all miserable now too for some odd reason.

I'm just going to sit here and watch it fall all the way apart.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

frostilicus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnerpin' the Glorpenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: September 17, 2010, 12:20:31 pm »

I'm just going to sit here and watch it fall all the way apart.
I attempted this a few days ago. I got lucky and ended up only losing about 90% of my dwarves, leaving 7 or so children and one adult to fend for themselves for a year. Then I got a migrant boost, and from there, all is well.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: September 17, 2010, 12:21:38 pm »

On the opposite end to the above, I'm starting a fortress, and I'm going to stick with it, damn it!

It's a completely flat site, Untamed Wilds Tropical Broadleaf forest (elephants!). 41 z-levels deep. Pertinent data from prospector:

65 faint yellow diamond
85 ruby
92 sapphire
690 native platinum
762 bismuthinite
3000+ limestone
3400~ bituminous coal
3400~ lignite
2800~ hematite
3000~ limonite
14000~ magnetite (!!)
6800~ native silver
15000~ galena (!)
3500~ malachite
13000~ native gold (!)
14000~ tetrahedrite
1584 cotton candy (2 safe veins to boot)

Along with nearly 40 000 olivine. I'm thinking of building two enormous towers out of the gold and silver (metal, naturally), then paving over the rest of my fort with olivine. It'll hide the vomit, after all.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: September 17, 2010, 12:27:38 pm »

Use black bronze. You'd need (IIRC) 36864 bars to completely pave the map. You can make that much.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 3842