Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126418 times)

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6075 on: September 16, 2010, 10:30:19 am »

Due to my inept leadership, all but 3 of my 60+ dwarves were killed by a goblin ambush. They are aged 1, 5, and 2, respectively. I am hoping they survive until I get a migrant wave to save my fort.

I read this and instantly thought of a "Lord of the Flies" story backdrop...
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: September 16, 2010, 10:30:42 am »

Finding out that my fort has... well, see it for yourself :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Captain of the Wood Stockpile is a very important job that every lumberjack aspires to achieve. They get to command willow and oak Dwarven figurine armies against the oncoming porcelain Elves.

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: September 16, 2010, 10:39:14 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:29:21 pm by Bronimin »

wisemanofhyrule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: September 16, 2010, 10:43:28 am »

Possessed guy went insane, had my army of 6 elite wrestlers to kill him. Sigh, time to figure out how to get rid of the body.

Edit: First Champion Yay!, hope I strike magma soon.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:48:25 am by wisemanofhyrule »

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: September 16, 2010, 10:44:18 am »

Three brave warriors seem to be cursed to be cripples for the rest of thier days  :'(

Oh well always more volunteers 8) for the milita

wisemanofhyrule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: September 16, 2010, 11:05:20 am »

Struck a magma pipe, yay. Time to start the forges. Wish me luck!

Edit:Wait, how do I get into it, it just gives me warm stone warnings so I cant dig.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:12:13 am by wisemanofhyrule »

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: September 16, 2010, 11:17:38 am »

Lost both my miners to a mining accident. I decided to call it quits after that. There wasn't much left to do with the fortress anyways. You can view it here. http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9573-silverydusts

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: September 16, 2010, 11:26:40 am »

Struck a magma pipe, yay. Time to start the forges. Wish me luck!

Edit:Wait, how do I get into it, it just gives me warm stone warnings so I cant dig.
I think you can dig through it anyway, you just have to re-designate.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: September 16, 2010, 11:37:19 am »

You can still dig through it, the game just does that so you don't flood your fort from a hidden aquifer or magma pipe or something like that.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

wisemanofhyrule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: September 16, 2010, 11:48:24 am »

You can still dig through it, the game just does that so you don't flood your fort from a hidden aquifer or magma pipe or something like that.

Thanks, accidentally opened it up on the wrong level, lets hope I can build a wall in time to stop it
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:50:53 am by wisemanofhyrule »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6085 on: September 16, 2010, 12:01:06 pm »

7 years after embark, Wheelcrowds has developed from a 7-dwarf quest to a 194-member small-ish outpost. Also my first "proper" fort after using 4-5 for learning the basics of the game.

Riverside(no carps), hilly landscape, winter 4 days short of a full season. Below 2 levels of sand and clay, heaps of dolomite before all 3 ores of iron, more fancy stuff below it.

So far done, built a moat and a wall around a medium size inner yard where lots of different crops are grown. Level -1 has subterranean farms, and below it are armoury and military's accommondation before some stockpiles as well as iron & dolomite mines, with workshops at level -6. Most of the housings are below that, down to -12, magma forges and smelters at -37. Booze stockpiles consist of 1000 drinks, fairly evenly of all 5 brewed qualities. Food stockpiles have now 200 fish, 1000 seeds and 700 meals, with nearly a thousand raw plump helmets. With the trees growing at the inner yard(and in caverns I havent breached yet), my fortress is no longer dependant of the outside world.

Imports: logs, booze and leather. Exports: booze in barrels made of elf-imported logs, ex-Goblin weapons and armor. Goblins alone (now about an ambush/year with some thieves and a single siege) alone are enough to buy all I need. Its all profit!

The defenses are fairly straightforward. First the attackers are forced to walk under a cave-in trap (built outside). The only siege I have got so far was crushed with it: 15 bow-gobbos and a hammer gobbo riding on a giant olm. The SQUAT was so powerful that I never found the bodies of one bow-gobbo and the olm. However their leader, that rode on that olm, was found.. Olm was struck underground?  :D One of the gobbos flew into my moat too, over 20 piles away!  :o After the moat, are cage traps before the drawbridge that leads to the inner yard, across the moat. And right into my barracks with 30 sworddwarves in full-steel from toes to teeth. So far I have suffered 5 military losses: one training accident (guy dodged into my irrigation channel? I built a floor over it after that indicent), one who tackled a gobbo thief, they engangled, and less surprisingly fell into the moat, 3rd fell into the moat too - about 5 seconds after killing his goblin ambusher in a duel over the frozen river, that of course melted, 4th guy was hit in the head by an iron whip that penetrated both helmet and skull, and 5th guy was wandering about over 50 tiles from where he should have been (unable to follow orders), and got shot by those 15 bow-gobbos of the siege that got squatted. In case of emergency, I also have hatches built in all stairs of all levels down to the level below my water tank(level -6) - and a levers to unleash the tank AND the river to flood the upper levels. Like I said above, (most of) the accommondations and stockpiles are below that level -6 anyways. And that water could be used to recreate the subterranean farms. I also have a caged Giant (and a lone gobbo) in my prison. I was thinking about putting the Giant's cage somewhere near the main entrance, and the lever to release it somewhere DEEP....

My military consists of 30 dwarves in all steel. I have 5 guys with 5 or more kills, best of them has 21. However I have trained them the old-fashion way, and not one of them is yet legendary in any skill - as the matter of fact, of latest 10 conscripts, I think 5 are still "dabbling" in sword-wielding! I first had 2 5-man crossbow squads too, but I found them impossible to reliably have them pick up crossbows, quivers or bows, let alone other equipment, and disbanded them. I also have lots of swords, crossbows and some more usable ex-Goblin stuff in the armoury in the case that I ever need to organize a militia.

My latest project has been a wind-powered mist generator to my armoury level (-2). After starting it, the average happiness of the fort rose over 25% within just 5 minutes! The next thing in my project list is probably some sort of an underground entrance with traps and BALLISTAE(or just ballistas? :) ), that is connected to the rest of the fort only via ramps up somewhere where the current above-moat drawbridge ends. I have also been considering about walling off a section of the caverns, but I dont really _need_ to do that yet.

EDIT: (most) typos fixed.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 12:09:43 pm by Erkki »

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: September 16, 2010, 12:37:06 pm »

How's one berserk miner murder 17 dwarves, 8 of them organized and at least as well equipped and trained as him? He didn't kick that much ass for me before!

3 survivors, one more sedately insane, the other two showing signs of berserkerhood. Yeah, this expedition is a bust.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 12:38:37 pm by Dok Enkephalin »

frostilicus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnerpin' the Glorpenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: September 16, 2010, 01:11:07 pm »

A party in the prison. I turned off all pausing and left the game running overnight. Most of the children are adults, and they're all partying in the prison, where I have a dwarf gone berserk in a cage. I guess they just like torturing the poor guy. Oh, and I have three dead Forgottens, a dead Marsh Titan, and five more Forgottens in the area.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: September 16, 2010, 01:34:12 pm »

I left the game running when I read all 400 pages of this in one sitting. Well, my fortress is now doing perfectly fine, with four semi-sane dwarves, a tantrum spiral with 40 insane dwarves running around clotheless, and two different kinds of sieges in the dining room. How Fun.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: September 16, 2010, 02:02:01 pm »

Watering the farms took a while because the water wouldn't spread evenly. So far everything is peachy, and I'm ecstatic about it. Now to transfer it over to 31.13...

Separate note: Can you transfer from older versions to newer ones?

A note on Cloisteredwood so far:
When my sig says Cloisteredwood is the front-line it is not kidding - it's been 6 years since my 7 Original Dwarfs (Happy, Sleepy, Grumpy, Sneezy, Dopey, Doc, and Bashful) first entered the Swamps of Terror. Despite there being no running water, the Dwarfs (Population is now at 123) have set up 4 farms, three of them with proper crop rotations. There's a self-sufficient Defensive tower to the south, the direction of a nasty Goblin Fortress. To the North there's another tower, and both of them are manned. Around the entrance there's a fairly large outer-wall with two entrances, the walls have fortifications ontop and a rampart behind for my dwarfs to fire from. Outside of the actual fortress (inside the walls though) There's a well, a masons, a kennels, the tomb for the dead (Which is my largest structure atm) and two memorials dedicated to the dead of the third and fourth battles of cloister wood respectively. There's also a prototype cleaning device, for washing the blood from my courtyard. Inside I just have a small metal industry (using molten Goblin equipment), alot of craftdwarfs making wooden & bone bolts for my 27 marksdwarfs who man the towers and the wall. There's a barracks, hospital, stores bedrooms etc. the normal stuff.

I also have a small breeding programme going on.

This may all seem quite normal. But I haven't got to the main part. 4 Goblin sieges in the last 3 years. At least 9 Goblin Ambushes. And I've lost count of the amount of snatchers that have attacked.

Only four of my original dwarfs still live. There have been 42 casualties in total. 31 at the hands of the goblins. Another 7 as a result of the deaths caused by Goblins. Outside the walls (and a little bit inside) are usually full of the remains of Goblin invaders. There was even one Goblin, shot in the leg, who survived for months before slowly bleeding to death. The Dwarfs watches it die. The last Goblin attack had ~43 Goblins in. 29 Never left. Cloisteredwood is sending a message to the Goblins - The dwarfs cannot be beaten. We will have our vengeance, in this life or the next.

Realistically speaking, My military is suffering heavily. I've had to re-organise it so that I have my larger squads on the outside, though I may re-organise it all so that my more experienced squads aren't on the wall, and can therefore escape if to make a last stand inside the fortress itself - I already have my Miners and woodcutter set up to rush to the entrance to hold off any Goblins if I think my military need time to re-group. I estimate the next Goblin attack to have 60+ Goblins in, all well armed and armoured. The last attack pushed us from the walls - the next may be the final, killing blow. But for now - Cloisteredwood lives!

btw, my Military & guard atm consist of:
6 Champions
1 Sword Master
24 Marksdwarfs
2 Wrestlers
1 Elite Wrestler
3 Recruits
____
37 Soldiers in total. I did have around 50, but have been unable to replace the casualties taken in the Third and Fourth Battles of Cloistered wood.

Some SS:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 02:10:46 pm by Herbiie »
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 3842