Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126725 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6030 on: September 15, 2010, 06:19:16 pm »

I made a special chamber to help deal with some of the FBs I've been getting.  It's similar to some of the FB traps I made in an older fortress except I made an adjacent room with fortifications to allow my marksdwarves to try to kill it in relative safety.

For the moment none of the FBs seem interested.  I put some wall grates down there to entice them but nothing yet.

Watchout for some of those FB's that are gaseous or have the Destroyer tags  ;D

Can destroyers destroy fortifications?  I already know they can't destroy retractable bridges which I have used successfully in the past to trap them before.

Building destroyers cannot destroy constructions.

Fortifications are constructions.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: September 15, 2010, 06:21:26 pm »

I made a special chamber to help deal with some of the FBs I've been getting.  It's similar to some of the FB traps I made in an older fortress except I made an adjacent room with fortifications to allow my marksdwarves to try to kill it in relative safety.

For the moment none of the FBs seem interested.  I put some wall grates down there to entice them but nothing yet.

Watchout for some of those FB's that are gaseous or have the Destroyer tags  ;D

Can destroyers destroy fortifications?  I already know they can't destroy retractable bridges which I have used successfully in the past to trap them before.

Building destroyers cannot destroy constructions.

Fortifications are constructions.

Can MagmaMen Swim through magma-submerged Fortifications? I know flying units can fly through fortifications...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: September 15, 2010, 06:37:26 pm »

I doubt it,unless you come face to face with the wrong end of the "flows push things through fortifications" bug.

I did not know that flying creatures can fly through fortifications. Are you sure they can?

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6033 on: September 15, 2010, 06:42:58 pm »

I doubt it,unless you come face to face with the wrong end of the "flows push things through fortifications" bug.

I did not know that flying creatures can fly through fortifications. Are you sure they can?

Never seen it personally, but I seem to recall reading it somewhere either here or on the wiki. EDIT: Reread the Wiki, actually it says that they can Fly *over* the fortifications (obviously.) I guess I that's where I got it from.

As for the flow bug... Any information on what it is/how it works? Because about 2 or 3 tiles from each of these Fortifications carved (maybe a built Fortification, as well if that fixes anything) into the volcano-tube's side is going to be one heckuva Magma pump stack. All part of Project: FOX Head SubSystem. AKA The Lets-try-and-drain-the-entire-volcano-and-magma-sea-and-pump-it-outside-so-fast-the-elves'll-think-we-teleported-it! Project.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 06:53:21 pm by DrGravitas »

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: September 15, 2010, 06:48:01 pm »

Started a new fort. This is an... auspicious beginning. Terrifying badlands with a brook gives me:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There's another 5 carp that didn't fit on that screen, and a half-dozen tiger fish as well.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6035 on: September 15, 2010, 06:55:29 pm »

No skeletal?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6036 on: September 15, 2010, 07:00:24 pm »

No skeletal?

You know I've been in this terrifying biome for years and haven't seen a single skeletal creature. Someone once said that sometimes evil maps will randomly turn into a zombie apocalypse, with everything being a zombie instead. I don't know how much truth is in that statement, but it seems like the only one. Makes me wonder if the reverse holds true.

That's one the few perks in these constant sieges; I don't have to worry about the undead during them. The goblins will always hang out on the shoreline and attract any zombies that wander onto the map straight to them. Unfortunately for me their soldiers apparently have enough common sense not to leap into the ocean the second the zombie fish enter their line of sight.

EDIT: Of course. Now a zombie whale shark is attempting to drag my one-armed axeman into the ocean. Fuck this siege.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 07:11:57 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6037 on: September 15, 2010, 07:20:28 pm »

No skeletal?

I hear that there may be a bug in bringing Evil and Savage creatures when multiple evil / savage biomes overlap. So far all I've got are camels.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6038 on: September 15, 2010, 07:24:41 pm »

Just downloaded the new version.  Finding a good embark is a lot harder because if one mountain range has a mountian home there is virtually no room, BUT i found a nice untamed temperate place with limestone a stream and lots of wood/iron/coke.  One downside... CARP.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: September 15, 2010, 07:28:32 pm »

In the year 1050, in the world of Tar Oru, the dwarven king Reg Urvadilir sat on his +throne+, his *crown* heavy on his head.

"What ails you, M'lord?"

Reg sighed.  His loyal general, Sigun Muzishushat, was never far.

"It's this thrice-cursed regulation of ours, making me stay sober on the day of the new year so that I may put together another expedition.  I need my drink, you know."

Sigun nodded.  "Well my lord, surely that alone is not too much cause for concern!"

Reg pounded one hand on his +throne+, cracking the obsidian slightly.  "Those ever-expanding humans and twice-cursed elves have taken most of the land for their own!*  There be no spot I may send our dwarves that they will not get to!"

Sigun was taken aback by the king's fury.  "My lord, I believe our scouts have an answer for you.  There be a small island in the middle of an inland sea that also has a volcano and aquifer.  A group of stout, hardy dwarves would not be hard pressed at all to survive there."

The king grinned.  "Aye, that would about do it!  Bring me the inventory logs and the population listing, I wish to get back to my drink as soon as I can!"

One week later, the group of seven had been formed, the group Oretekkud.  Trudging from the cold, frigid, near Antarctic environs, they quickly found the warmer climes more to their liking.  They had nearly arrived at their intended destination, and their woodworker, Asob Torastobul, had yet to answer how they would traverse the sea...

Asob grinned as another tree was felled.  "That be ten!  All of ye slackers, bring them to the shore and I'll get right to work!"

The other six quickly snapped up the logs and hauled them to the shore.  Asob worked and strained, twisting the logs into an unnatural form.  Not more than an hour had passed before he stood back, proud of his work.  "Now get the wagon and animals on top, I'll finish off the sides and we all can shove off for the island!"

"What be this thing you have made, Asob?"  inquired Ducim Inoddolush.

Asob smiled in pride as he began forming the sides to his creation.  "It be a simple raft for crossing the seas!  With enough logs to take our weight, and walls to keep the waves out, it be a simple matter to float over to any island!  Sadly, me master did not tell me how to make them last long enough to repel the rot, so once we land, we may never use it again."

Ducim was agape.  "But still, a remarkable creation!  We should be there very soon, now!"

A week passed as the tiny raft manuvered around the island, selecting the northern half as a suitable destination for settling.  The wagon was unloaded, the raft rotted, and the dwarves climbed to near the peak of the volcano.  They were just about to begin, when they realized they'd neglected to check for native inhabitants.

A scream pierced the air as first one, then half a dozen gorillas were spotted.

Life was either going to be very interesting, or very short, for the fortress of Avuzdatan.

Okay guys, two questions.

1.  When dwarves build pumps, they automatically put in a desalinizing filter, yes?  I'm seen the topic tossed around, but this is a new fort after all.

2.  Should I hope for a Jane Goodall or will I be fine without one?

*Seriously, I cut the number of civs in worldgen down by half, and 90% of the world population is human or elven.  Tall lanky bastards.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6040 on: September 15, 2010, 07:31:56 pm »

1.  When dwarves build pumps, they automatically put in a desalinizing filter, yes?  I'm seen the topic tossed around, but this is a new fort after all.

From what I understand, desalination is currently really weird. Water that is bellow sea level will always be salty, even if you pump it through a pump. Water above sea level is always clean. You can have a well go straight into the ocean and so long as you're above sea level it will work fine.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6041 on: September 15, 2010, 07:57:46 pm »

Dude, this totally worked!  The FBs didn't go into the trap room at first.  I guess they didn't care too much about trashing wall grates.  They sure have a taste for mule meat, though.  I chained up a mule in the room and sure enough three of them darted in there all at the same time and I managed to trap all three of them.  I had to fool around with the military screen for a bit since this was the first time I've used marksdwarves in this version.  Had to make some quivers and sort out my bolts.  But after all that got squared away I got my marksdwarves down there and they started slowly but surely turning the FBs into pin cushions.  All of my marksdwarves are at least skilled now just from killing the FBs.  With iron bolts, no less.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: September 15, 2010, 08:19:39 pm »

Someone once said that sometimes evil maps will randomly turn into a zombie apocalypse, with everything being a zombie instead. I don't know how much truth is in that statement, but it seems like the only one. Makes me wonder if the reverse holds true.

I was the one who said that, and I've seen two maps like this. One had [BIOME:ANY_LAND][POPULATION_NUMBER:500:500][CLUSTER_NUMBER:100:100] GCS in 40d (didn't last long), one has elephants and savage forest life in 31.12.

EDIT: The relevant part of my unit list as of now:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The dead elite wrestler was a caravan marksdwarf from whom I stole a crossbow, his bolts, and all his clothing except for his leather armor. He got all four of those elephants barehanded before getting hurled into a tree by the last one.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:27:39 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6043 on: September 15, 2010, 08:30:58 pm »

The reactor Core is more or less under control. I let the semi-frozen brook back in when it returned briefly during early spring. The flow was rather unimpressive. So, I'm revising my conclusion and stating that the accident was primarily due to several days (or perhaps a months worth) of inattention from me, allowing the 3 pumps (enough to power the rest of the core) to spew water all over the place (and fill up the rest of the reactors, saving my actually quite a bit of work.)

My wildlife rehabilitation program is a complete failure. Upon noticing that I only had 5 wolves left (the rest had died in cages) and that I hadn't see free-roaming wildlife appear on the map for nearly a decade, I stuck the 5 of them is a closed space and freed them. I had hoped they would naturally breed and would have retained their wild natures. Sadly, after a little over a season, two more have died with nothing to show for it. I pulled the switch, opened the floodgates and...let them walk back over cage traps. I modified the raws to make them tamable (still no dungeon master) and now wait to see if the last male and 2 females survive long enough to reproduce.

On a interesting note, I expected much the same trouble getting them adopted as I have with all my Foxes. However, almost immediately, one of the females was picked up by a female miner (who liked wolves.) It seems that dwarves can have likes non-domestic animals, albeit rarely. I wonder if it was a developed liking; many of the parties in my fortress are/were centered around a wolf cage. Could that have imprinted a personality development in a dwarf for liking wolves? I'm going to try caging a fox and see if I can't force these dwarves to adopt this mascot yet!  :D

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: September 15, 2010, 09:03:18 pm »

I am in the process of constructing my 3rd siege trap of large proportions. The previous two have both been retractable bridges over pointy-thing-lined pits, but this one is gonna kick it up a notch. It is a maximum-sized bridge that will fling gobbos into a pit lined with menacing steel spikes. The surrounding walls and bait-protection-system has been implemented (mostly). I need to make a test run though, to estimate the range and find where I must dig the pit.

Does anyone know what trajectory flung units will take? You could save the life of a noble (so far their mandates have actually been pretty reasonable--my NOBLECRUSHER2000tm has yet to be used).
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 3842