Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126843 times)

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6015 on: September 15, 2010, 08:20:55 am »

Lokum Tostvucar, Blacksmith has created Enalakil - Primpointy: an adamantine sarcophagus artifact decorated with an image of itself. And a couple historical tableaus, but I think it should get extra value for the recursive image. Considering the previous artifact was a necklace worth less than an ordinary steel shield, I'll take this as a consolation. Incidentally it put my worth over 4 million making this the richest fortress I've ever had.

Letrange

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6016 on: September 15, 2010, 10:48:21 am »

So, I notice a new DF version.  Download 0.31.13 and generate a new world.  Crash.  2nd try.  Crash.  Ah the 3rd try makes it to the end.

So I get Xestsustrasp "The Enchanted Planets".

Export the info after observing that the dark goblin civilization setup on an island (down in the hot south) made up of calm lands called the "Humorous Lands" and that various dwarven mountainhomes had setup on a continent just west of this island in an area  of clam lands called "The Hills of Strangulation"....  (ok so most of the dwarves were up in the mountains "The Lush Beaks" but still).

oooookaaaaay.

Methinks both the southern goblins and southern dwarves have had their brains cooked in the noon day sun...  Oh, and there are 10 still existing dwarven civilizations....

I think I'm going to try an embark a little further north...  I'll make sure to make the parent civilization one of those southern dwarf civilizations though.  I like the idea of the 7 founding dwarves heading north to escape the opressive heat and madness of the south.

frostilicus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnerpin' the Glorpenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: September 15, 2010, 10:50:08 am »

I have seven adult dwarves and about forty children/babies.
Someone came by to visit, and this is about ten turns before its death:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Polar_Atom

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Cancels Life: Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: September 15, 2010, 02:03:02 pm »

Mason dies after falling with fortification. Instant death.

As his bereaved friends lay him to rest inside his coffin, they discover another dwarf taking a nap within.
This forum post menaces with spikes of humour.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #6019 on: September 15, 2010, 02:33:16 pm »

Atom smashing rock salt, limonite and gold nuggets.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6020 on: September 15, 2010, 02:39:49 pm »

I am staring longingly at the adamantine in my cavern and planning what to do with it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
« Reply #6021 on: September 15, 2010, 02:44:29 pm »

Oh, boy. Gearcleared's been having a lot of Fun recently. This was interesting, to say the least, and some animals/babies/children/recruits are still dieing from it. Then I had two more FB attacks and two goblin sieges after never having any involvement with the goblins for all 6 years of Olones except for one kidnapping. The FB after the dust one had some vapors that totally paralyzed, and instantly rotted by best of soldiers shortly after it was killed. The one after that was weak and only got one kill. The first siege wasn't too bad. I seem to only remember it being a squad of goblin crossbowman that I just rushed at after getting tired of waiting. I got a few kills on my own, but it broke easily. The second siege I didn't get so lucky with...

I think it was a squad goblin axemen, a squad or two of goblin swordsmen, and a squad of goblin bowmen...all riding a mix of giant rats, giant cave swallows, giant olms, cave crocodiles, rutherers, voracious cave crawlers, and jabberers--oh, and there were trolls. It was the whole deal. I retreated into my fortress and locked the door. I had a floor hatch installed on in my barracks, and locked that too so they'd fight my military after smashing down the door.

Half of my cage traps were just smashed by that third weak FB so they only caught four(including the one at the map edge) voracious cave crawlers and a troll. Like I expected, they came into my barracks and fought my military. It was a massive blood fest. Almost my whole militia died on just the first sword squadron.(Two of my best people died by lucky shots. One got stabbed in the back of the head, and one had his head crushed by a voracious cave crawler.) The only people left were an axedwarf with his left foot cut off, and a swordmaster with his chest cut open and his liver fractured. My axedwarf entered a martial trance and killed three goblin bowmen from his stationary position. My swordsdwarf entered one too and killed three or four trolls.

At this point I knew I was doomed and started getting a ragtag militia together on the next floor down, my megapile, and sealing it off too. By the time I was ready my swordsdwarf had killed all the trolls, most of the goblin swordsmen, and all but three goblin bowmen, one of which was a goblin elite crossbowman. I told my recruits to attack, but I forgot to unlock the hatch in my barracks, so they never got there before my swordsmaster which his chest cut open killed all by the bowmen. I then unlocked it and told them all to chase those last three down, but the swordsmaster caught all three before any of the recruits had hardly even gotten out of the fort.

I was wondering was the siege wasn't over when I noticed a goblin swordsman flying over on a Giant Cave Swallow. He flew away before anybody could get to him, but I also noticed that the axedudes were just waiting in the corner of the map, on the other side of the frozen brook. I hoped to rebuild a bit first, but some stupid people tried to grab a couple of socks and one of their voracious cave crawler's cages over their and died.

I finally got my awesome swordsdwarves' chest healed and sent him over near the river with one of the new recruits with my captain of the guard.(he wasn't in the barracks at the time because I didn't want him to get too strong and kill all criminals) When stupid people came now a goblin would chase them away, and my militia would pick him off.

My captain of the guard still died, and then that awesome dwarf who is now my militia commander charged after the whole squad...and won. Only three or four goblin survived and started running away even when fully healed. Yet the the siege wasn't technically over. He chased them all over and finally killed them and all and their mounts.(Actually, one might have run away.) Yes, he caught multiple goblins riding giant rats. The siege finally ended and Meng Zuntirdakost Saramgovos Catten, "Meng Anvilfloors the Great Leaf of Channels" is a hero.

The elves came to trade, and I found out the my broker who was made my mayor can't trade because he flipped a craftdwarf's workshop and got a beating that broke a rib and his nose. Still, even though a year ago we were 70 dwarves, 100 animals strong, and now we just have 32 dwarves, 12 of which in the hospital, and 10 of those permanently crippled, and we only with only ten animals, we're still here. :)

EDIT: Woah, that's gotta be the biggest thing I've typed onto the internet, ever.

EDIT2: There, paragraphs. Happy?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 04:12:42 pm by Ullallulloo »

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6022 on: September 15, 2010, 03:41:01 pm »

EDIT: Woah, that's gotta be the biggest thing I've typed onto the internet, ever.
Did you heard about dark and mysterious art of paragraphes? Wall of texts are pain to read.

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
« Reply #6023 on: September 15, 2010, 04:07:56 pm »

Did you heard about dark and mysterious art of paragraphes? Wall of texts are pain to read.
It was a lot shorter in my head...I'll go back and find some places to break it up.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6024 on: September 15, 2010, 04:44:35 pm »

I have regrets about placing the individual reactor floodgate controls directly above their gate, and hence right next to the reactor in the core itself, now that the Reactor Core has flooded. The Core Control room has a switch to open and close all the flood gates, but only three of them are open at the moment.

On the bright side of things, the dwarves are putting on a hilarious show as they slip and slide up the stream towards the lever and inevitably get sucked down the intake hole into the reactors themselves. Heh, Circus, as long as they don't get into one of the closed reactors (almost impossible given the flow.) I suppose I could just let entertain me for a while. They're even gaining swimming skills!  ;D

EDIT2: GAH! Late Autumn arrive and the tip of the brook dipping into the forest biome froze over but the rest of the brook didn't. THE ENTIRE BROOK has redirected into my REACTOR CORE!

Wall off the part that freezes and redirect the brook so it's entirely in a biome that doesn't freeze. Don't want a repeat occurrence.

Oddly enough, I probably would never have gotten the blasted thing working had this not occurred. I had been filling the lengths to the reactor core for nearly 3 seasons now; it just wouldn't rise above 5/6 level at the front. I thought maybe it was because it ran right next to the volcano at the end of the core (does water evaporate if it's not actually touching the magma, but the stone separating it from magma?)

I had given up on getting enough water in the line to open all the reactor's floodgates in the core and had settled on slowly opening them one reactor at a time and letting them get up to the 6-level water that they were able to. I had two setup (but not pumping) and had scheduled a third to open when I got distracted. Near as I can tell, when the brook partially froze and redirected, the levels suddenly made it up to 7 water and it introduced a flow to the waterwheels, starting up the three reactors. These three turned out to be just enough to get the other ones running and the 3 started pulling a now infinite source of water all over the Reactor Core, filling each Reactor's holding space before flooding over into the control room.

I've been considering what's going to happen to my Reactor Core when I pump enough magma to hit the brook (very far a way, but I'm making plans to pull a lot of magma...) and I think this was an excellent demonstration of what'll happen when the Obsidian blocks off the uncovered brook parts and redirects the brook. Now I just have to figure a way to control the redirect, use it to my advantage, store/eliminate it, or somehow redirect it's flow off the map but under ground...

Edit:
Ah, just as predicted, the water has drained enough and all three reactors have been closed off. Hey, and the machine's only trapped 3 dwarves in the bath of a lifetime. I guess I better let them out, one of them is getting thirsty (water, water everywhere, but every drop is siphoned up!) I can use the control room, open every flood gate and get this thing dried out, fixed up and started back up in time for the brook to unfreeze! Also, some enterprising Dwarves have taken it upon themselves to do some fishing in the reactor cores...

BTW, Question: can MagmaMen swim through a Fortification submerged in Magma?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 05:13:27 pm by DrGravitas »

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6025 on: September 15, 2010, 04:53:35 pm »

Decided to go with a Mirthful embark and build a traditional castle. Luckily theres a lot of Claystone. I'm building the towers out of jet. Hopefully I don't run out of it.

It features a 2nd floor entry point, via two bridges suspended on pillars. Should be nice if I can get stonesense working again.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6026 on: September 15, 2010, 05:13:33 pm »

I made a special chamber to help deal with some of the FBs I've been getting.  It's similar to some of the FB traps I made in an older fortress except I made an adjacent room with fortifications to allow my marksdwarves to try to kill it in relative safety.

For the moment none of the FBs seem interested.  I put some wall grates down there to entice them but nothing yet.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6027 on: September 15, 2010, 05:40:04 pm »

I made a special chamber to help deal with some of the FBs I've been getting.  It's similar to some of the FB traps I made in an older fortress except I made an adjacent room with fortifications to allow my marksdwarves to try to kill it in relative safety.

For the moment none of the FBs seem interested.  I put some wall grates down there to entice them but nothing yet.

Watchout for some of those FB's that are gaseous or have the Destroyer tags  ;D
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6028 on: September 15, 2010, 05:47:12 pm »

Watchout for some of those FB's that are gaseous or have the Destroyer tags  ;D

Can destroyers destroy fortifications?  I already know they can't destroy retractable bridges which I have used successfully in the past to trap them before.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6029 on: September 15, 2010, 05:51:17 pm »

"A Vile force of Darkness has arrived!"

I am so sick of these goblins. They're constantly launching sieges now, ruining any work I try to do outside of the fortress. It's not like they can destroy Townbrush. They lack any way to get into the fort. But there constant sieges are cutting me off from caravans and, more importantly, migrants. I need a way to deal with them to discourage further sieges, even if only for a short time. I don't want to completley obliterate the surface, so that means magma is not a viable option. My fort is sitting right on top of an endless source of water. Water is the great equalizer; even adamantine doesn't help you survive in it.

I just got an idea. I really stupid idea that probably won't work, but, an idea I'm going to try utilizing none the less.

EDIT: God damn it. I just noticed a flaw in my current defenses. The pit I had the drawbridge constructed over isn't high enough to kill most of the creatures that fall into it. I learned this problem early on, and it was rectified simply by having my military stationed inside the pit and having them kill all of the crippled foes while they were still suffering from extreme pain. But I noticed that my soldiers didn't follow the order to stand in the pit. It turns out because the caverns were flooded, a goblin-cap was able to grow on the path leading to the pit preventing any one from entering it. So now I have a horde of angry Trolls held back by a single tree, which is sure to result in Fun if I ever cut that tree down by accident. Or if Toady makes it so creatures don't treat trees as the ultimate roadbloack.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 06:02:32 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 3842