Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126999 times)

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5985 on: September 14, 2010, 01:11:59 pm »

So they wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for this one idiot that keeps trying to climb the tower. For what reason? Apparently to eat this one plump helmet lying on top. We have plenty of plump helmets lying in the food stockpile, but this guy will only accept this one plump helmet. It's gotten to the point where he is starving because he refuses to eat anything else.

Did you try forbidding the plump helmet? Press "k", scroll over the PH, press "f"
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5986 on: September 14, 2010, 01:27:18 pm »

So they wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for this one idiot that keeps trying to climb the tower. For what reason? Apparently to eat this one plump helmet lying on top. We have plenty of plump helmets lying in the food stockpile, but this guy will only accept this one plump helmet. It's gotten to the point where he is starving because he refuses to eat anything else.

Did you try forbidding the plump helmet? Press "k", scroll over the PH, press "f"

Yes, I did. But this idiot was still determined to eat it no matter what I did. At one point he stopped trying to as he went to get a drink. After doing so, he attempted to get the plump helmet again. The moron entered a food stockpile to get a drink, ignored all of the plump helmet inside of it, and then went back to getting one in an incredibly obscure location. Though the plump helmet is gone, so I guess he somehow managed to overcome his phobia of goblins and climb the tower so he could gnaw on a sun-baked plump helmet that has been rotting in a tower for years.

EDIT: The goblins just launched an ambush. This is in addition to their current siege. What exactly were they hoping they accomplish with this? If there massive army wasn't capable of working there way into Townbrush, a little squad of 8 goblins isn't going to be more successful. I wonder why they keep dedicating so much manpower towards taking down this one little outpost in the middle of nowhere.

EDIT 2: I just noticed that the water flooding the second cavern layer is gone, excluding the dark lake but that's supposed to be flooded.

EDIT 3: Another god damn forgotten beast. This one has "noxious secretions". I'm not even sure what those are or what they do, which is probably going to result in Fun.

EDIT 4: Or not. This Forgotten Beast was pretty weak, and was cut down before it could cause any real harm.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 02:02:16 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5987 on: September 14, 2010, 05:18:52 pm »

Once a dwarf has decided what he's going to eat, there is nothing you can do about it. He now OWNS that food and will eat it or quite literally die trying. I discovered this while trying to force some of my dwarfs to eat turtles in 40d. (You know the drill: strange mood, no shells in the stockpiles...) Not sure what happens if it rots before being consumed. (My guess is the dwarf just finds something else to eat.)

Out of curiosity, does anyone know exactly when the food changes ownership? Is it when the dwarf decides what to eat, or when he actually picks it up?
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #5988 on: September 14, 2010, 05:29:17 pm »

^The fact that our friend's dwarf tried forever to get one up at the top of the tower seems to indicate that it's when they decide to eat it.
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5989 on: September 14, 2010, 06:18:57 pm »

I gust got ambushed by kobolds. Fucking kobolds. Apparently Townbrush is so pathetic that Kobolds think they can take it out. Of course, they didn't accomplish much. All they managed to do was kill a plump helmet man baby and chase a hauler around for about 5 minutes until the military cut them to pieces. Then a kobold theif showed up. It stabbed one of the soldiers in one hand, and cut of the other one before running away. So that thief accomplished more than their whole ambush.

Aside from that the remainder of 1064 was uneventful. However, the goblins decided to celebrate the new year by launching another siege. Once again I am hopelessly outmatched and have no choice but to lock down Townbrush. Once again the only ranged units are two legendary blowgunners, making me wish my Captain of the Guard hadn't tried to beat a forgotten beast to death with a copper shield. I've noticed the goblins have stopped bringing mounts with them. I wonder if this has something to do with me killing their general. I doubt there's any relation though.

I've also started sacrificing prisoners to the Forgotten Beast Vesh. All I have to do is chuck them down a pit and then Vesh comes and kills them or forces them to run off the map. It's nice to have one Forgotten Beast basically work for me rather than kill me. Also Olin, a child, just bled to death in the hospital. I have no idea about how he was injured either. There's nothing in the combat logs. My only guess is that he was crossing the bridge when the lever was pulled, causing him to plummet several Z levels. I'm surprised he didn't die on impact if that's the case. Shame, I wanted him to live.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5990 on: September 14, 2010, 06:58:49 pm »

So I figured out you could melt-designate gold nuggets.

20 "native gold bar"s later, I figured out that native gold bars have no smithing option, and are thus useful only for moods.

So my blacksmith goes moody, grabs a bar and some green glass, and gets to work. 1 bar down, 19 to go...
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5991 on: September 14, 2010, 07:08:53 pm »

guys in my current fort i have 500+ things of copper ore and only 180 or so things of iron ore so what should i do and no flux stone i havent dug down far enough
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: September 14, 2010, 07:39:06 pm »

Make weapons and armor out of it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5993 on: September 14, 2010, 07:44:15 pm »

guys in my current fort i have 500+ things of copper ore and only 180 or so things of iron ore so what should i do and no flux stone i havent dug down far enough

BOLTS! You can never have enough bolts!
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5994 on: September 14, 2010, 07:56:11 pm »

So I figured out you could melt-designate gold nuggets.

20 "native gold bar"s later, I figured out that native gold bars have no smithing option, and are thus useful only for moods.

So my blacksmith goes moody, grabs a bar and some green glass, and gets to work. 1 bar down, 19 to go...
Sell them, or modify one of the existing reactions to convert them into gold.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5995 on: September 14, 2010, 08:07:16 pm »

Something strange has happened. A dwarf has appeared at the same time as the dwarven caravan, but on the opposite side of the map. She isn't moving, her stuffs all forbidden, and her z status just has her physical description the "sturdy creature..." line in it.

The military can target her as if she was a Giant or a monster.

The announcement read: The Soap Maker Thob Domasdeler from Urvad Fath has arrived.

Should I kill her? Am I... am I being invaded by a...Soap Maker? I think I should beware, she may have deadly bubbles...

EDIT: Oh wait, the unit screen marks her as a diplomat. That was odd; I wonder why it announced it weird.

EDIT2: GAH! Late Autumn arrive and the tip of the brook dipping into the forest biome froze over but the rest of the brook didn't. THE ENTIRE BROOK has redirected into my REACTOR CORE! The basement levels flooding down the hall and blocking access to my emergency dam's activation switch!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT3: On the plus side, the immense flow has activated the reactor core, and it is now producing 2000 power: proving that I built it correctly.  :D

EDIT4: Ah, that's over with now. Just a one lone, heroic dwarf waddled through the 2-level water to the emergency dam switch, the rest of the brook froze over. I guess I kind of overreacted. Still, would have been a lot worse, If I hadn't opted to place the Reactor Core control Levers on the far side of a perilous walkway over an elaborate, deep pit. Villainous lair architecture saves the day! Take that OSHA!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:34:26 pm by DrGravitas »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5996 on: September 14, 2010, 08:08:39 pm »

I've read about this happening before. Somehow, a dwarf became a forgotten beast in your world. Just point a catapult at her.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5997 on: September 14, 2010, 08:22:40 pm »

The Dusk Elf caravan leaves, with a profit and with no misadventures, then the very next season their army shows up  to siege me. Along with the werewolves.

There goes my awesome source of animals.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5998 on: September 14, 2010, 10:06:44 pm »

I'm building yeti traps also it is the year 666
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5999 on: September 14, 2010, 10:45:31 pm »

I wonder why they keep dedicating so much manpower towards taking down this one little outpost in the middle of nowhere.

...this one plucky little village on the coast of Armorica.

Seriously though, once Townbrush falls (if that's even possible), you should compile and annotate these posts in a thread of their own.
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 3842