Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127092 times)

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5955 on: September 14, 2010, 06:13:26 am »

Just had the fourth battle for Cloisteredwood, 7 dwarfs were killed, 6 of them soldiers. The courtyard infront of the inner gate is slick with blood. The Swordsdwarfs that held the goblins at the main gate shall never be forgotten.... There's apparently still some Goblins somewhere, as there's still the siege sign. If it doesn't go for a while I'll send out a patrol from the granite tooth.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does anyone know how I can get the dwarfs to clean up the blood outside? I would create an intricate system of pumps if I had a river but I don't :(
If you can't wash it away you'll have to burn it away, but even then it'll probably just teleport into your caverns' water supply.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: September 14, 2010, 06:37:50 am »

Inevitable lag death to 1 FPS is going on, as per the usual end for my fort games, despite killing and caging all I can. Stopped due to slowdown. Seems there's no hope for ever finishing a game until I get money enough to buy a supercomputer and overclock it to handle HFS.

Hope someone optimizes the game a bit to allow for more critters, lest this is going to be it for me. Games turn to laghell just as they are about to get interesting.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: September 14, 2010, 06:41:49 am »

If you can't wash it away you'll have to burn it away, but even then it'll probably just teleport into your caverns' water supply.

How'd you get stone to burn? I have no magma or running water :) If it rains the blood washes off, so I was thinking of getting a load of my murky pools attached via pumps to spray water into the courtyard which should clean it... and any dwarfs that happen to be in the area.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: September 14, 2010, 08:01:18 am »

Operation "Make Slade War Hammer" does not work. Neither, strangely enough, does my reaction to produce slade.

EDIT: Maybe the hotkey's messing it up. Testing with no hotkey.
EDIT2: Fuck, still not working. To the modding forum with me.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:13:33 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

TRoss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: September 14, 2010, 08:23:55 am »

am a new player and have never managed a fortress above 12 dwarves or so.
My newest one has been going quite well. Prepared food and drinks are well stocked. The metal industry is starting up, and I'm making plenty of crafts to trade...
20 migrants?! But I'm not ready!

AHHHHHHH!!!

Fortunately dwarf therapist allows me to organize 20 new miners/haulers while I dig out a proper fortress for a larger population.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: September 14, 2010, 08:44:06 am »

Hope someone
Well, there is only one person capable of that.

optimizes the game a bit to allow for more critters, lest this is going to be it for me. Games turn to laghell just as they are about to get interesting.
Do you know that critters (pathfinding) are not only thing that rapes your CPU? There is also about a zilion stones and other items around with rather ineffective algorthim to handle them. And gazilion jilion endlessly multiplying contaiments...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: September 14, 2010, 08:56:58 am »

Animals, liquid flow...
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5962 on: September 14, 2010, 08:59:19 am »

I've heard hundreds of times that loose stone affects FPS due to pathfinding, but I can find no explanation as to why. Anyone have a link to the science behind why stones - which don't seem to affect your dwarfs in any way except when they need to move them - affect pathfinding?
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: September 14, 2010, 09:01:42 am »

How'd you get stone to burn? I have no magma or running water :) If it rains the blood washes off, so I was thinking of getting a load of my murky pools attached via pumps to spray water into the courtyard which should clean it... and any dwarfs that happen to be in the area.
Oh, I pumped magma 36 levels up to flood my killyard. Took a good long while to set up, but it's managed to stave off FPS death for longer than I normally get.

Pumping water out of murky pools will do a decent job, but you'll need to make sure the water will be flowing in the right direction, else it'll just push all the gore into a corner.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: September 14, 2010, 09:10:22 am »

I've heard hundreds of times that loose stone affects FPS due to pathfinding, but I can find no explanation as to why. Anyone have a link to the science behind why stones - which don't seem to affect your dwarfs in any way except when they need to move them - affect pathfinding?
Because every un-forbidden stone is a potential candidate for every stone based task, thus every stone gets looked at every time a task comes up.

Now, unless you're hollowing out a mountain you probably won't have enough stone that stone in and of itself is the sole cause of double digit FPS loss, but when you consider that the same "look at (almost) everything" logic applies to: stone, cloth, leather, thread, food, seeds, weapons, mechanisms, furniture, metal bars, ore, barrels, bins, coke, tallow, logs, bones, skulls, debris, clothing, &c. it makes a lot more sense why it just slowly grinds away at your FPS even if your population and architecture remain static for quite some time.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: September 14, 2010, 09:15:40 am »

Yeah I'll try it, but I come under goblin attack at least twice a year, and there's one or two ambushes a season. As a challenge I decided to make my fortress very close to a gobbo one, makes for great Fun!

Oh, I pumped magma 36 levels up to flood my killyard. Took a good long while to set up, but it's managed to stave off FPS death for longer than I normally get.

Pumping water out of murky pools will do a decent job, but you'll need to make sure the water will be flowing in the right direction, else it'll just push all the gore into a corner.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 07:48:20 am by Herbiie »
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5966 on: September 14, 2010, 09:20:06 am »

Because every un-forbidden stone is a potential candidate for every stone based task, thus every stone gets looked at every time a task comes up.

Now, unless you're hollowing out a mountain you probably won't have enough stone that stone in and of itself is the sole cause of double digit FPS loss, but when you consider that the same "look at (almost) everything" logic applies to: stone, cloth, leather, thread, food, seeds, weapons, mechanisms, furniture, metal bars, ore, barrels, bins, coke, tallow, logs, bones, skulls, debris, clothing, &c. it makes a lot more sense why it just slowly grinds away at your FPS even if your population and architecture remain static for quite some time.

So, by that logic, a fortress with no stone jobs assigned would show a marked increase in FPS (assuming a very large number of stones)? I might have to do some research on this, as I am intrigued.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: September 14, 2010, 09:47:12 am »

So, by that logic, a fortress with no stone jobs assigned would show a marked increase in FPS (assuming a very large number of stones)? I might have to do some research on this, as I am intrigued.
It takes a lot. Stone on its own you need to vaporize 4-digit-numbers worth to see more than a few points of recovered FPS.

When I finally got my magma scrubber running for my front entrance way I must have vaporized a couple thousand game objects, easily, between crappy weapons, clothing, various body parts (ligaments, skulls, arms, legs) and whatnot but still only recovered ~8 FPS after the pumps were turned back off and the burning stopped. I then dumped 600 longland grass into the incinerator, dumped some superfluous stone, and laid down some traffic areas and recovered another 2.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: September 14, 2010, 10:04:51 am »

Do you know that critters (pathfinding) are not only thing that rapes your CPU? There is also about a zilion stones and other items around with rather ineffective algorthim to handle them. And gazilion jilion endlessly multiplying contaiments...
No, I had not thought of that. What's the best way to get rid of stones and stuff to improve FPS?
Couldn't the game settings be somehow improved to auto-forbid stones if that helps?

Something needs to be done or "winning" the game is going to be impossible for most people. (Not that it already isn't, but due to HFS and not FPS.)

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: September 14, 2010, 10:16:23 am »

I mentioned about seeing my first FBs but not having Fun earlier..
I was moving my magma industry up to the top of the magma pipe and assigned a big room to be mined out. Of course, while I was tending to the goblin ambushers, my miners thought it a good idea to not tell me they were breaching the part of the cavern I hadn't discovered yet to make the room. Through sheer luck I checked upon them just as they were working their way through the cavern, stopped them and got masons to wall it off. Then Vafice, the elephant-tarantula with a shell thing appears.

It climbed up my stairs, after my masons and miners, straight into the bedroom level where the dwarves decided to lead it through the hallways of the sleeping dwarves. This could have destroyed my fort had it actually gone through the bedrooms killing my sleeping dwarves. Fortunately, my 10 warriors actually responded to the kill order. Or rather, one that was pretty much armed with an iron shield and clothes ran straight into it. Eventually, he survived with a broken hand since he was legendary shield user from danger room and 4 others came and started kicking the crap out of it while it's useless boiling breath did nothing.

tl;dr First FB: I win :D
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 3842