Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127307 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5910 on: September 12, 2010, 11:58:27 pm »

Contemplating using the blocks my original (Dwarven Atlantis) Megaproject is creating to pave the way for my "Fortress on stilts" megaproject. It (sadly) cannot drop magma, as I'm above a frozen ocean and doing so would expose and/or destroy a large segment of the below ground fortress. but assuming water falling is Instantaneous it could be used to create lovely still lifes of an invading army though.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: September 13, 2010, 12:11:13 am »

Contemplating using the blocks my original (Dwarven Atlantis) Megaproject is creating to pave the way for my "Fortress on stilts" megaproject. It (sadly) cannot drop magma, as I'm above a frozen ocean and doing so would expose and/or destroy a large segment of the below ground fortress. but assuming water falling is Instantaneous it could be used to create lovely still lifes of an invading army though.

Water, magma, and objects/creatures don't fall instantaneously, it's just blocks of ground caught in cave-ins that do. They fall very quickly however.

A fortress on stilts sound entertaining, were you thinking something like a sky-Venice? Easily defend-able if you don't mind dropping entire city blocks out of the sky whenever something goes horribly wrong on one of them. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5912 on: September 13, 2010, 12:18:24 am »

A fortress on stilts sound entertaining, were you thinking something like a sky-Venice? Easily defend-able if you don't mind dropping entire city blocks out of the sky whenever something goes horribly wrong on one of them. :P

Built a metropolis on a column of supports, several Z-levels high, and then collapse it on a siege, the force should kill everything on the bottom to be Super Effective.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: September 13, 2010, 12:25:53 am »

My issue with Supports is the possibility of something snacking on one of them and suddenly having a city block fall from the sky.

See, What I started with was a series of Storage Silos, and then decided rather than increase the amount of stone I have (about 20K atm, due to having mined an entire layer) I could decrease it by building up. ('d been inching towards an FPS death until I forbade about 90% of the stone on that layer)

Even if Ice isn't instantaneous I'll just be building a Hail cannon, Instead of an ice ray.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:29:11 am by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: September 13, 2010, 12:36:50 am »

My issue with Supports is the possibility of something snacking on one of them and suddenly having a city block fall from the sky.

See, What I started with was a series of Storage Silos, and then decided rather than increase the amount of stone I have (about 20K atm, due to having mined an entire layer) I could decrease it by building up.

Even if Ice isn't instantaneous I'll just be building a Hail cannon, Instead of an ice ray.

I don't think building destroyers can go after supports now, so it shouldn't be a problem.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: September 13, 2010, 12:46:23 am »

Ah, In any case, It'd likely just be modified silos for stilts, smaller of course.

and Just what I needed. A heretofore unnoticed segment of Chalk! YAY! I can finally start steel production.

Edit: ARGH. Naturally, most of it is an aquifer.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:50:10 am by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
  • If we are paranoid, then are we paranoid enough???
    • View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: September 13, 2010, 04:03:06 am »

That's what makes it deadly. The syndromes, like everything else about the beasts, are random. It could be temporary dizziness or immediate and complete necrosis. If a beast's description says to beware its deadly spittle/dust/blood, poisonous bite/sting, noxious secretions, or poisonous vapors/gas, it has a syndrome that it passes through that medium.

i once had my military slay FB, that was pouring noxious secretions. while his body was dragged to a butchery, all fotresss entrance, near above groung meeting hall was covered in secretions and after some time, the meeting area as well.
in couple of months nothing happened (i`ve checked health screen of my military regularly).
several years after, i`ve noticed, that several of my dwarves and 1/3 of livestock have "advanced liver rot". i come to conclusion, thet anyone withoun foot protection was affected by noxious secretions`s sindrome - rot the liver.
God, please, take asp.net give second python!

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: September 13, 2010, 04:19:56 am »

My first really successful fort using the Fortress Defense and Higher Learning mods is slowly crumbling.

it's been years since any caravans have actually made it to the fort, and likewise migrants are totally avoiding the place. My former 79 dwarves is down to 57 though a combination of carelessness at first and later on hilarious bad luck and military sillyness.

The best one was the spearmaster wearing full adamantine getting dropped in one shot by a Fury Archer(Can fly, unremarkable beyond that) during a training session i forgot to cancel. Another good one was Hellfire imps swimming into my magma forges through the volcano. Several mechanics have ignored burrows and job cancellations as well, insisting they just need a moment to finish the next weapon trap, and promptly walking into a wall of various siegers that cut him or her down.

Most Dwarves are still happy, thanks to plenty of booze, well cooked meals, and I guess just plain luck, but i still lose one every now and then to circumstance, It seems without migrants it's only a matter of time until Blendecs and nagas manage to chip away at military dwarves until there are no more to draft.

However the caverns are almost completely safe now. I decided i couldn't handle danger from above and below and am currently working on walling them all off. Cavern 1 is done, Cavern 2 is almost done, and Cavern 3 is being avoided like the plague until the fort attracts some migrants and walled off because of a poisonous mist FB walking around in it that fortunately cannot fly or climb. I don't need Cavern 3 though because there are tons of perfectly safe trees in cavern 1. Oddly Cavern 2 is completely barren of all plant life despite being covered completely in mud.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: September 13, 2010, 04:55:23 am »

Maybe I'll keep going down, I don't know for sure yet.  Anyway the rest isn't that impressive.

Like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sweet!  Any particular inspiration?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #5919 on: September 13, 2010, 05:23:49 am »

Sazirruthösh is not dead yet. On the other hand, my building of a trade depot and a massive bridge from it straight to the map edge may be a somewhat speculative wotcha, since I don't think there are any friendly civilizations left.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: September 13, 2010, 05:54:30 am »

Pinebasements has fared much better than The Tin City and is currently going strong in its 6th year, approaching 3 million Dwarfbucks in created wealth. At present they are reaping the first harvest of their new obsidian farm, dumping vast quantities of gabbro, and deciding between an obsidian tower or magma-wash system for the front gates. The magma-wash may have to take a higher priority since the stuff left behind by the yearly goblin slaughter isn't of any use at this point and it takes almost until the next siege to clean the courtyard, and my cattle stables can provide more than enough bones at 40 head.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: September 13, 2010, 08:06:17 am »

THE HERMITANUS SAGA 1

The past must die for the future to be born. That future is Hermitanus.

Situated in the middle of a densely forested jungle, on the very edge of a flowing stream, Hermitanus was founded by seven dwarves looking for a break from the usual cliffside-crater. They decided, from the very beginning, that Hermitanus would be free from the sprawl and wasted space of the previous fortresses of Smosmosdata. From a central shaft, with a moat designed from the immediate embark, Hermitanus was a lucky village. Copper was the main draw, an enormous vein of the metal discovered early on. The rainforest would supply the wood for the smelting industry, and there was a thick layer of yellow sand with which to create a glassmaking factory.

Unfortunately, they forgot to bring any food, and were starving within a season. The dwarves were forced to scrounge for vermin. Some idiot had made the shady exchange of 500 barrels of booze instead of the more reasonable colony purchase of seeds, food and meat.

Nobody owned up to that mistake.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: September 13, 2010, 08:18:09 am »

Currently putting together the Elven Gate.  It is one tile wide.  As soon as the elven caravan shows up, the drawbridge will go up, leaving the Elven gate as the only entrance into the Fortress.

Hope to have the long, winding Elven path together by next spring.  I am including glass walls, to allow the dwarfs to witness the progress of the elves.  Not sure where to put the viewing gallery yet.

Now. . . back to making upright spikes. . .
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5923 on: September 13, 2010, 09:26:14 am »

I left the fort running while the colossus rampaged throughout. At 5 fps, it takes a long time to wipe out a fortress of 88 dwarfs. I may reclaim, but not sure yet. What's the preferred method for dealing with a surprise titan? I could have yanked the drawbridge, but can they destroy them? And would they ever leave?
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5924 on: September 13, 2010, 09:39:42 am »

I had the booze situation sorted, just sitting down with the liaison to talk about getting the iron I still haven't come across, when goblins ambushed. They took out 10 dwarves, but Armok knows I was having trouble accommodating all of them, and then took off. What? That's all? But before all the bodies were in the ground, the tantrum spiral started, taking out 12 of them before the expedition leader just went stark raving nuts. That's when I decided to send them off and try to put the pieces back together with another team.

When I toured through in Adventurer mode, I found one chink in the defenses, one point where a miner was inexplicably interrupted while digging a slope into a channel. I figured I could get back to it later, then got caught up finishing an accessible, defensible path for caravans and establishing workshops around it. But my adventurer could just walk up the hill, cross the rooftop kennels and down into the upper workshops, completely bypassing all gates. If it weren't for that one tile of slope, the goblins would've had to cross the skeletal horses milling near the merchant entrance, and wouldn't have gotten a sneak attack on my meeting room.
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 3842