Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127687 times)

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5805 on: September 10, 2010, 10:38:45 pm »

Started a new fort in the tundra with a volcano.

I currently have no water and no overground crops. Hope I can find a cavern, and fast...
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: September 10, 2010, 11:21:04 pm »

Ice
--------   = Water
Magma

Do you have an aquifer?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: September 10, 2010, 11:44:26 pm »

Well the rampage of the Forgotten Beast came to an end, since the militia commander finally decided to slay it. He just walked up to it, pulled out his axe, and cut its head off in one hit. Yeah, this guy could have disposed of the beast in seconds yet he decided to hang back and let the new recruits and Captain of the Guard suffer horrible deaths before stepping in. The sad part is that he wasn't even trying to fight the damn thing. He was going to get provisions. The Forgotten Beast just happened to be in front of the food stockpile he was trying to access, so he killed it for the sole purpose of shoving plump helmet roasts into his backpack. I'd demote him, but he's the only solider in the entire fortress. All of the lives of Townbrush rest in his hands.

Armok help them. He's already proving how unreliable he is, as if the Forgotten Beast incident wasn't enough. A zombie sea serpent crawled into the dormitories. I built a damn wall around the thing and the undead can still squirm there way in. Well zombie sea serpents aren't exactly pushovers. The farmer never stood a chance, as his lower body was torn off instantly. So now there's a sea serpent about to crawl into the dinning room to feast on Dwarven flesh, and what is the commander doing?

Drinking. You'd think the terrified screams of the civilians would be enough to motivate him, but he's to busy guzzling beer to fight. I can only hope the sea serpent wanders into the stockpile he's currently sitting in.

EDIT: Another Forgotten Beast came. It's beating the shit out of my last the soldier. The last soldier. The only one that can fight. The last hope of Townbrush is being crushed by a stick insect made out of slime.

It's drafting time!

EDIT 2: Oh, he's killing everyone. They can't even scratch him. They're all going to die. The Fortress is once again descending into chaos.

Note to self; arrogance always leads to misfortune.

EDIT 3: The civilians are swarming the foul creature, but it's hopeless. He is to strong. He's already stuck down 9 dwarves, and I fear that number will keep climbing.

And now another Forgotten Beast showed up  :'(

EDIT 4: NO! The mayor is dead! His mandates were actually reasonable! That's it, I have to face the facts. Dostik is to strong. He can't be defeated. I have to seal off the third cavern layer, to protect the fortress. The Dwarves down there will be doomed......but they were goners anyways. This has to end.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:55:49 am by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: September 11, 2010, 12:39:17 am »

Pray for salvation.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: September 11, 2010, 01:23:07 am »

Well, the abyss has been sealed off. Dostik is trapped down there. However, he brought a huge chunk of the fortress with him. The population dropped from 45 to 29. Plus there are still 3 dwarves trapped down in the abyss with him. I can't risk trying to save them. There only hope would be to somehow live off vermin for an incredibly long period of time. Until Townbrush has a military force capable of taking on Dostik. So their fate is sealed. The outpost liaison is also trapped down there with them.

Townbrush is crippled once again. Production has ground to a halt as a result of key dwarves getting their brains shoved through their skulls. Tantrums are disrupting work. And with no military to speak of, any undead is a huge threat to the fort.

And this isn't even the worst thing to happen to Townbrush.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: September 11, 2010, 01:47:44 am »

Killed by a seige of three squads of bat-riding goblin archers. They descended like a locust swarm, overrunning the cage traps and still kept coming. My two squad military was up to the challenge, and dispatched them in the halls, but not before the damage was done: The tantrum spiral had begun.

With the graveyards full, the hospital overflowing, and the jailhouse a place for murderers to express themselves, the writing was on the wall. 110 dwarves dropped to 75 tantruming dwarves, with berzerkers manufacturing more of their kind, like an evil undead army.

So the book closes on the insane asylum of one fort, to open on fresh ground of a new fort.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: September 11, 2010, 03:40:35 am »

Well, the abyss has been sealed off. Dostik is trapped down there. However, he brought a huge chunk of the fortress with him. The population dropped from 45 to 29. Plus there are still 3 dwarves trapped down in the abyss with him. I can't risk trying to save them. There only hope would be to somehow live off vermin for an incredibly long period of time. Until Townbrush has a military force capable of taking on Dostik. So their fate is sealed. The outpost liaison is also trapped down there with them.

Townbrush is crippled once again. Production has ground to a halt as a result of key dwarves getting their brains shoved through their skulls. Tantrums are disrupting work. And with no military to speak of, any undead is a huge threat to the fort.

And this isn't even the worst thing to happen to Townbrush.

if they are in the caverns, they can also gather herbs and live off them. Then make farms with  the seeds. If there is even one barrel and one stone they can make booze!

EDIT: that outpost liason, though. If they can access the edge of the map, then they can leave that way. But if they're waiting for a meeting...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 05:12:20 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: September 11, 2010, 05:04:02 am »

if there are treeshrooms, the world is at thier fingertips...
This is a blank sig.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: September 11, 2010, 08:15:09 am »

<huge images>

The adamantine vein in the lower right in the first image is the same as the one in the upper left of the second.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

where doing it man

where MAKING THIS HAPPEN

EDIT: It is now the beginning of year two of this fort's life.

EDIT2:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 10:38:41 am by Urist Imiknorris »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: September 11, 2010, 11:25:50 am »

-snip-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: September 11, 2010, 11:33:01 am »

It's on the edge of the map. My [DATA EXPUNGED] is one tile north of my fort...

:'(

<copy, abandon, check>

No, actually. The [DATA EXPUNGED] is four embark tiles south of the eastern end of my site. WHY IS THAT CREAUTRE THERE IT SHOULD NOT EXIST.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:43:09 am by Urist Imiknorris »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: September 11, 2010, 12:37:54 pm »

Oh god, the other Forgotten Beast is on a rampage. It tore through the farms and is already at the top of the underground tunnels. It's impossible to wall it off. It's going to get into the fortress and then go on a rampage. I have to draft everyone again and hope they have more success this time. It's our only chance.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: September 11, 2010, 01:21:30 pm »

Dumped the tundra fortress as I couldn't find the caverns. At all. And there was no ice.

Now, I'm in a rather pleasant area, again with a volcano. The mountain surrounding the volcano is almost completely sand and mud for the first 20 zlevels or so, with only 1 aquifer that I am working on obsidian-breaching this very moment.

I think I'll like this map.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: September 11, 2010, 01:27:24 pm »

Second Siege within two weeks. Haven't even had to rearm my cage traps. Have to deal with 45 goblins and 5 trolls on voracious cave crawlers.

This is two 50 enemy sieges in one season. FML.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: September 11, 2010, 01:34:51 pm »

I'm in a mixed good / evil forest biome. It's pretty neat. Phantom spiders and unicorns.

Speaking of unicorns, I decided that I could use some of them. You know, in a culinary sense.

'Course, I sold my anvil back at the embark screen, and the autumn caravan hasn't yet come, so no hunters, no crossbows, only the axedwarf / woodcutter from the original 7 embark.

Long story short, I have a pair of wrestlers chasing down unicorns, punching them until they vomit and pass out, whereupon the militia captain shows up, cleaves the beast's head off, and the three dwarves run after the next.

The unicorns have yet to fight back. The one that tried, charged and only managed to gore one of the wrestlers' ears. The unicorn promptly started to flee again.
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 3842