Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127738 times)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5775 on: September 10, 2010, 02:45:32 am »

Some of the old soldiers died with honor, but these idiots dove into the ocean and then realized they couldn't get out.
Maybe you should try building a "swimming platform", small ramp area that goes into the water, so anyone who dives in has a way back into your fortress, but with the access from the ramps to your fortress being via floodgates (so you don't have to worry about a gobbo or kobold sneaking around & using it as an access point).

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: September 10, 2010, 03:19:24 am »

I'm starting a new fort, carving out some 10x10 farm plots and irrigating them. It's rather tedious, but it's worth it in the end. :D

But why bother with irrigation when we have perfectly good caverns to work with?

I... I don't know, actually. I just feel like it.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: September 10, 2010, 05:30:44 am »

The goblin outpost liason Amxu Ngomsmatspo from Gingonol has arrived.

wait... wut? Apparently, while the rest of my civ is normal dwarves, my liason is a goblin recruit. The weirdness never ceases. Oh well, at least the megaproject is without issues so far.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

KaunMoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: September 10, 2010, 06:52:40 am »

Can't get my head around how to build pumpstacks and supply them with power for a nice waterfall so I decided to take water straight from the river and drain it down into some cavers. The inhabitants didn't seem to mind. A few of them keep trying to come up and ask for a cup of sugar but are promptly caught in cage traps (except the ones that skip over 50 traps which are greeted by my welcoming party of 5 hammer lords, 5 axe lords and a kitty)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: September 10, 2010, 07:17:36 am »

The only remaining soldier is too busy eating, drinking, and sleeping to help them.

Smartest one of them all, really.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Aik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: September 10, 2010, 08:07:46 am »

My fortress is back in action. After a few seasons with a skeleton crew a huge migrant wave rocked up. Most of them even survived. Quite a few of the old guard also died fighting the kobold ambush so that the new guys could get inside. Pretty crazy how these kobolds are running around with steel swords and shields - although it's our only source of steel these days so I'm not complaining that much. That which does not kill me makes me stronger, and all that.

Unfortunately, both of my forgotten beast slayers died. Accidentally crushed one with the drawbridge :-/ I guess they won't get royal tombs after all.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5781 on: September 10, 2010, 08:31:02 am »

But why bother with irrigation when we have perfectly good caverns to work with?

In all of my DF2010 forts, I've been unable to safely establish farming in the caverns before running out of food. In my most recent fort, I dug directly for them and found nothing but completely flooded caverns and a horribly frustrating mixture of wet stone, warm stone, SMR and no magma. Will be the third fort in a row I've abandoned for the lack of magma. Damned elves.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: September 10, 2010, 09:40:32 am »

Decided to revisit my dolomite tower plan in lieu of my failing internet. I've had to cheat a bit([SPEED:1], removing gobbo brains*) because I'm more interested in getting to the tower built than fighting goblin ambushes. I've got the first level outline built, and most of both the tower site, and pathways to the map edges fully excavated.

*There were two crossbow ambushes, and about 4 snatchers on the map when it was saved. Removing their brains killed them, but caused strange things to happen. Snatchers that were already captured, for example, their stuff teleported to the tile where they fell into the cage trap. Also, after re-adding the brains, looking at the corpses with {k} crashed the game, so I had to remove them again, and then atom-smash the corpses. Hopefully it won't crash again when the next wave of goblins come.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: September 10, 2010, 12:16:37 pm »

After being locked inside for a while (siege + titan outside, fb in caverns that killed my last military) I have finally gotten my new squad of 3 axe dwarfs properly trained, so I decide to show the small siege who's boss (I had also depleted my wood stockpile at this point, so no more barrels!). after lowering the bridges and sending the military outside to await the goblins, I notice the siege have actually left... a season or two ago... so I send them into the caverns to defeat the evil sock weilding fb... who is gone...

So after waiting a bit I set my military back to traning and start putting up more walls aboveground and in the caverns. I also start deforesting the caverns again. Then the fb show up again, still weilding the sock he have stolen from some dwarf and he now stands between roughly half my dwarfs and the fort :(

luckily he is about the same speed as the dwarfs and stops all the time to use his useless spit, so he only beats two kids to death before the military easily takes him out.

upstairs anothe siege have started and it turns out I forgott about some diagonals, so a squad of trolls gets over the wall, where the military slaughters about half and the rest flees into some cage traps. also a master lasher on a bat gets into the fort but runs straight through and into the caverns to be caught in the traps thats supposed to keep cavern creatures out.

Althoug I am safe from the goblins right now and have the caverns to play with, I fear that I am seeing the start of my first tantrum spiral. Already had at least one dwarf killed and another severely beaten by a tantruming dwarf. And just to make things worse, I failed horribly at keeping my dwarfs occupied and friendless while both the outside and caverns was locked off, so all my dwarves are friends with everyone. I would say most have 50 or more friends (out of 77 possible). On the other hand it was awsome seeing that the mayor had a meeting with the dwarf who killed another one after he had calmed down.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: September 10, 2010, 12:29:50 pm »

Allaskubuk (Sealances) and the surrounding lands have been made a barony!

I picked my current mayor.

Tobul Olinom likes microcline, zinc (produced locally), harlequin opal (this might be a problem), the color lilac, bolts, helms, and armor stands.

Purple and regular green, the normal colors of those lines, were both a bit dark on the forums... I didn't do anything specific to get this, but my mayor was in a party the entire time the caravan was here, only talking to the liaison after the caravan left.

Edit: I just queued up 30 statues, hoping my masons would finally make a statue of her. No luck. :(

Edit2: Apparently she's been "utterly traumatized" lately by my amazing pet cemetery. None of the coffins in there are set to allow citizens, much less set up as tombs.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 01:11:11 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: September 10, 2010, 12:37:56 pm »

The goblin outpost liason Amxu Ngomsmatspo from Gingonol has arrived.

wait... wut? Apparently, while the rest of my civ is normal dwarves, my liason is a goblin recruit. The weirdness never ceases. Oh well, at least the megaproject is without issues so far.

This is perfectly normal. When a site is taken over in worldgen battles, the survivors and all their progeny join the conquering civ, thus most civs contain a variety of races. Goblins and Elves, being immortal, easily rise to positions of power because they have so much time to do it in.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

UristMcDwarfenstein

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: September 10, 2010, 01:26:53 pm »

Started taming elephants for war. The elephants apparently decided they'll have the last laugh though as they've started breeding and now I'm getting overrun by elephants. Almost 30 tame elephants at last count.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: September 10, 2010, 02:04:17 pm »

Some of the old soldiers died with honor, but these idiots dove into the ocean and then realized they couldn't get out.
Maybe you should try building a "swimming platform", small ramp area that goes into the water, so anyone who dives in has a way back into your fortress, but with the access from the ramps to your fortress being via floodgates (so you don't have to worry about a gobbo or kobold sneaking around & using it as an access point).

There are ways out of the ocean. It's just that my Dwarves are to busy fighting the zombie fish to swim to them. So by the time they are done fighting, they drown.  Also the problem with installing swimming platforms in the fortress itself is that it just gives the undead another access point. Ever since the zombie whales rampaged through the dining room, I'm trying to limit undead access.

The only remaining soldier is too busy eating, drinking, and sleeping to help them.

Smartest one of them all, really.

Right now he's running around picking up equipment. He's currently throwing on adamantine armor and picking up an adamantine battle axe. Maybe the screams of his copper clad comrades convinced him to spend an extra 10 seconds running to the weapon stockpile rather than scavenge loot off the rotting goblins.

So can one adamantine clad novice take on a bloated, skinless dinosaur that spits frozen goo? Probably not. But I don't really have any other options.

In all of my DF2010 forts, I've been unable to safely establish farming in the caverns before running out of food. In my most recent fort, I dug directly for them and found nothing but completely flooded caverns and a horribly frustrating mixture of wet stone, warm stone, SMR and no magma. Will be the third fort in a row I've abandoned for the lack of magma. Damned elves.

I've never had problems setting up in the caverns. It takes a lot longer to set up good irrigation, even with the ocean serving as an infinite water source. It's usually not hard to find a nice little area and then wall it off. I've never found a magma pipe though. I think those are pretty rare. In fact this is the only fort I've ever actually played enough to access the magma sea.

Edit2: Apparently she's been "utterly traumatized" lately by my amazing pet cemetery. None of the coffins in there are set to allow citizens, much less set up as tombs.

Nobles are weird. My baroness was apparently utterly traumatized by "a lesser's pretentious burial arrangements". This "lesser" was her deceased husband. Of course putting a zombie gorlak in her tomb solved that problem.

Speaking of which, I used to think she was getting promoted posthumously to the position of count/duke/ etc., but apparently she isn't. My new engraver just made an engraving of her being removed from the position of baron. The dwarves in the picture were refusing her, implying they took her out of power. I think he needs a history lesson though, since she didn't get removed by the dwarves. A darnen shoved a spear through her skull.

On second though, he can engrave whatever he wants so long as it doesn't have Dwarves being killed. The old engraver left us with enough demoralizing images of Shuturn the Ogre beating dwarves to death with a backpack.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5788 on: September 10, 2010, 02:21:11 pm »

I've never had problems setting up in the caverns. It takes a lot longer to set up good irrigation, even with the ocean serving as an infinite water source. It's usually not hard to find a nice little area and then wall it off. I've never found a magma pipe though. I think those are pretty rare. In fact this is the only fort I've ever actually played enough to access the magma sea.

Good irrigation (IMHO) is super easy. One soil layer (usually I embark on soil) and a water source is all you need. Few floodgates and some mechanisms and I'm ready to go. Digging, however, 10-60 z-levels down, getting lucky enough to breach the caverns, having the caverns not be flooded (which my last fort's were), surviving any baddies, walling off an area, then setting up the farms (and having to deal with hauling up and down those 10-60 z-levels) seems harder to me. This is, of course, assuming you embark on a soil layer. If you don't have any surface water, then yes - it's much simpler to find the caverns and set up there.

Maybe it's just a matter of preference? Hard = dwarfy, after all.  :D
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: September 10, 2010, 02:34:13 pm »

Good irrigation (IMHO) is super easy. One soil layer (usually I embark on soil) and a water source is all you need. Few floodgates and some mechanisms and I'm ready to go. Digging, however, 10-60 z-levels down, getting lucky enough to breach the caverns, having the caverns not be flooded (which my last fort's were), surviving any baddies, walling off an area, then setting up the farms (and having to deal with hauling up and down those 10-60 z-levels) seems harder to me. This is, of course, assuming you embark on a soil layer. If you don't have any surface water, then yes - it's much simpler to find the caverns and set up there.

Maybe it's just a matter of preference? Hard = dwarfy, after all.  :D

All you have to do to set up in the caverns though is dig. You seem to think that it's hard to find the caverns. I've never had trouble piercing any layer of the caverns. Odds are you'll hit them by accident, and if not a handful of long, narrow shafts that can be dug out in less than a minute will solve that problem. The it's just a matter of finding a nice spot, dig a new tunnel to it, and your done. Walls really don't need to be set up right away. The majority of first layer cavern dwellers are weak, and they may not even attack your dwarves.

Though I guess it is just a matter of preference. I just don't like pulling one of my masons over to the side to build floodgates and hatches, then wait for a dwarf to finish linking them up. In the first year it's important for my masons to be working constantly to expand the fort, so irrigation can actually delay this process significantly. By the way, I've never seen a flooded cavern (excluding the ones I flooded through my own stupidity). Are you sure they are flooded? They might just have a lot of water in them. I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be any land.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 3842