Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127864 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5760 on: September 09, 2010, 02:41:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is an attempt to make plump helmet farm gone horribly wrong. At first it was a 7x7 square. They were filled up to 3/7 almost instantly. Then i tried digging drainage channels. There were little effect (my dwarves becoming novice swimmers). I grossly underestimated the rain- on this embarkit rains 24/7, 7 days a weekthe whole year. I finally constructed floor above the lake, though with well-timed merchant caravans, black bear attacks and water freezing and unfreezing it took too long and expanded reservoir was full once more. Even when water at last was 1/7 it showed no sign of drying. Then there were more expansions of reservoir and now it seems plump helmet farm will be finished.

But the goddamn rain isn't stopping.

water locks. that is all.
This is a blank sig.

SandyCaesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5761 on: September 09, 2010, 03:54:29 pm »

Fortress Shadegranite is currently undergoing a MASSIVE goblinite/humanite melting operation. It seems that a few years ago a human caravan ran straight into a goblin ambush, and instead of blaming the gobbos they decided on a full-blown siege operation on my fort. Worse, TWO goblin ambush squads decided it would be a good time to visit, at the same time as the siege, after having made their peace with the humans of course.

All in all, it was a good thing I had three near-legendary ballista operators pointing their pieces down the entry corridors, and that's not even counting the Goblin Grinders, the Atom Smashers, the cage and weapon traps, the hordes of conscripted marksmen on the second floor, the legendary miners with steel picks and full steel plate (don't have access to bluemetal yet)...

Currently, the captured gobbos are serving as moving targets for the archery range. The humans were smarter and decided to pack up after 50% casualties.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: September 09, 2010, 07:49:19 pm »

Got a HM cook in a migrant wave. He has now hit legendary, and has made hundreds of *plump helmet roasts*.

Smelting of sphalerite and various other ores continues. My smelters have hit maximum clutter level..... I think I should do something about that. Time to train my smiths.

Oh, and I just offloaded a bunch of sub-quality green glass corkscrews onto some merchants.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: September 09, 2010, 09:49:04 pm »

I think the dwarves of Anvilmaster were inspired by the name of the fortress and they steadily supply steel weapons and armors for the military. Since the start of the steel industry the fortress is in a economic boom. From 100k of created wealth to nearly 600k in less than 6 months.

During the last ''assault'' of thieves a kobold flew, another one was killed and we captured 5 snatchers. I haven't see any ambush for now, maybe because my fortress is near a T junction of a river and a stream. Only a quarter of the map has access to my base 10 months of the year and traders and migrants appear only on that quarter.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5764 on: September 09, 2010, 10:01:59 pm »

I'm starting a new fort, carving out some 10x10 farm plots and irrigating them. It's rather tedious, but it's worth it in the end. :D
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: September 09, 2010, 10:05:46 pm »

During the last ''assault'' of thieves a kobold flew

Flew as in ran or flew as in drawbridge?
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5766 on: September 09, 2010, 10:22:46 pm »

During the last ''assault'' of thieves a kobold flew

Flew as in ran or flew as in drawbridge?

He ran away. Though, it would have been fun to watch and Fun for my militia captain.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5767 on: September 09, 2010, 10:27:30 pm »

My mason mass-produced enough tables, so now I have him making statues. I think he's deranged... so far, he's made statues of the fort's founding, my single militiaman surrounded by gauntlets, the creation of a couple artifacts, a dwarf being killed by a random mountain titan, that same dwarf having his eyelid smashed, and my chef creating some masterful roasts. All of these appear multiple times except the roasts.

Oh, and I just learned that my civ has no leaders.

And so far, no encounters with any hostiles. Boooorrinng, I want my artifact weapon trap to have something to smash.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5768 on: September 09, 2010, 10:31:07 pm »

I'm starting a new fort, carving out some 10x10 farm plots and irrigating them. It's rather tedious, but it's worth it in the end. :D

But why bother with irrigation when we have perfectly good caverns to work with?

Speaking of the caverns, I'm attempting to drain some water out of the first layer by having it go off. All I have to do is a carve a passage that connects the flooded chamber to another one that extends to the end. I'll either succeed or end up flooding part of the fortress again. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Besides, Townbrush can handle a disaster right now. With a recent migrant wave boosting the pop up to 42, Townbrush is starting to progress well. The death of the Goblin's general means they probably won't attack for a while, and the Darnen don't attack very often either. One of the many Forgotten Beasts down in the caverns decided to attack, but it apparently sucked and was killed by a single new-born octopud. Probably because it was made out of mud. Point is, Townbrush can handle some flooding without it causing everyone to go berserk. We're no longer teetering on the brink of destruction.

The Mandrill shakes The Puppy around by the head!
The head is ripped away and remains in The Mandrill's grip!
Avuz Gikutrigòth, Puppy (Tame) has been struck down.

I love this game.  I don't know why I've never embarked on a jungle before.

That does remind me. One problem I've had recently is that zombies keep killing all of my guard animals.

I went through around 6 of them in one month. Though I recently acquired many animals from the Elves, so I have many replacements.

Townbrush Fun Fact: I've been solving my prisoner problem by pitting them in the magma sea. However, Darnen can fly, so this has mixed results on them. Usually they take a short dip in the magma, start to melt, then fly out dripping ichor and probably screaming before they eventually collapse. Though the Dwarves don't seem bothered by the melting, flying bugmen.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 11:10:53 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5769 on: September 09, 2010, 10:37:12 pm »

Just started a new fort, 1st level is gonna be a farm I drained all the water, made mud but forgot that those underground water reverse refill after rain.. now constructing floodgates so it doesn't flood again. Gotta wait even longer now until it all evaporates so I can farm. 2nd level is some workshops and storage, making tables, barrels, thrones, and doors at the moment.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: September 09, 2010, 10:44:17 pm »

3 soldiers. 3 soldiers was all it took to fend off over 100 goblins and darnen. They alone saved Townbrush. They beat back the siege. They slew the general leading the goblins. They struck down many Forgotten beasts. They were the heroes of Townbrush, the glue that held this fortress together and kept it from becoming a wreck.

And all 3 of them just drowned fighting zombie bluefish. >:(
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

iron_general

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5771 on: September 09, 2010, 10:48:33 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5772 on: September 09, 2010, 10:50:29 pm »

I salute both your efforts. Townbrush's soldiers died with honor, and the depths shall again be conquered. A good day.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5773 on: September 09, 2010, 11:00:07 pm »

I salute both your efforts. Townbrush's soldiers died with honor, and the depths shall again be conquered. A good day.

Some of the old soldiers died with honor, but these idiots dove into the ocean and then realized they couldn't get out.

Oh well, I just need to get some more adamantine. That stuff makes your military invincible. These guys weren't even experienced. They just had tons of adamantine on. Problem is most of the adamantine is exhausted. There's another vein visible, but I can see that it goes straight into the magma sea. It's basically guaranteed to connect to the circus, so I'll have to be careful.

On a side note, I always buy blood from caravans for no reason other than some strange obligation to do so. Recently I acquired a barrel of acorn fly ichor. I wonder what poor bastard wasted his time catching thousands of acron flies, and then squeezed the juice out of them until he had filled an entire barrel.

EDIT: Ain't that just like Dwarf Fortress. Makes me think I have every thing under control, then it pulls the string. A Forgotten Beast showed up, which wouldn't be a big deal if my military didn't consist of a bunch of weak migrants that just arrrived. This Beast didn't want to hang out with the other ones in the flooded tunnels, apparently that's not the cool thing to do now. Instead, he made a dash straight for the fortress. After terrorizing a woodcutter that eventually escaped, he started heading towards the stairs. That's when the brave new militia arrived.

Or some of it. The idiots apparently decided to charge in one at a time. They also decided to ignore all of the shiny adamantine and steel equipment in favor of scavenging armor and weapons of the dead invaders. They looked at all the various types of metal and thought "hey, let's go with copper. I see this working out well". So now I have a skinless dinosaur chewing on 4 crippled dwarves. The only remaining soldier is too busy eating, drinking, and sleeping to help them. This will not end well.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 12:30:06 am by Internet Kraken »
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5774 on: September 10, 2010, 01:23:53 am »

After the fall of my previous fort, I felt it was time for a change of scenery and stumbled upon a volcano with flux.  I thought we'd be screwed because of a lack of water...only to find a small pool at the very top of the mountain to tap.  So, we built our fort at the pinnacle and are digging down; I still have no source of water due to the climate, but I figure we'll be capable of getting it from the caverns if needed once I have the fort up and running.

There's that and then there's absolutely absurd amounts of minerals on the map, including but not limited to 95,000 tetrahedrite and 57,000 native gold (I believe that's equivalent to a couple of layers of pure ores...hematite and galena clock in at around 30,000 each).  The only drawback is a limited supply of cassiterite (about as much as raw adamantine, ironically), but making steel will be no problem at all so that'll mostly be a for-fun stone to produce bronze crafts and statues.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a good 10,000 gems on this map too based on the totals listed in Prospector. 
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 3842