Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127938 times)

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5745 on: September 08, 2010, 10:14:19 pm »

Laboredanus had it's first megabeast attack, a titan named Cerol. Cerol MUTILATED the merchants who were en route to the trading post (they probably could've arrived in time had the wagons not got stuck in the forest). He made his final mistake of entering my legendary FOYER OF DOOM, whereupon he was dashed to smithereens one step in.

It's titan bone trinkets for everybody!
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: September 08, 2010, 10:21:50 pm »

I had to lock a small child in a workshop because she demanded uncut gems, silk, and glass.

It will take months for her to starve
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

m1k3y4e7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: September 08, 2010, 10:32:56 pm »

I myself am currently expieriencing a simultaneous catsplosion, elephantsplosion, and llamasplosion. I have many thousands of various roasts, and hundreds of uncooked meat filling my several food stockpiles. I am so backlogged on barrels that I have not been able to produce booze in two seasons, which is making the dwarves antsy.
If I had a monkey, I would borrow my moms sewing machine and make my monkey a little monkey suit. Then if anyone said "Thats not a real monkey, it's just a monkey suit, I can see the zipper", I could say "I bet you fifty dollars it is a real monkey" and when they said "that seems like a reasonable bet, you are on", my monkey would take off the monkey suit and they would have to pay me fifty dollars.

Poliphorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: September 08, 2010, 10:54:41 pm »

Ringforged was attacked by an ettin. Said ettin then charged at and knocked down one of my swordsdwarves who then, miraculously, proceeded to breathe fire all over the ettin.

...What?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: September 08, 2010, 11:34:15 pm »

I found out why I have so much gold. Apparently if a map is deep enough, the game will run out of rock strata to place, and the last layer will progress all the rest of the way down to the magma sea. In my case, I have a diorite layer going from ≈z-63 to z-134. That's seventy-one layers of a gold-bearing stone with (IIRC) nothing unique to it, so it generates huge amounts of what it's layer type contains. Specifically, gold and orthoclase. I have ≈630000 of the latter.

What should I do with it?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5750 on: September 09, 2010, 12:01:35 am »

I found out why I have so much gold. Apparently if a map is deep enough, the game will run out of rock strata to place, and the last layer will progress all the rest of the way down to the magma sea. In my case, I have a diorite layer going from ≈z-63 to z-134. That's seventy-one layers of a gold-bearing stone with (IIRC) nothing unique to it, so it generates huge amounts of what it's layer type contains. Specifically, gold and orthoclase. I have ≈630000 of the latter.

A hallway of golden statues, filled with traps.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: September 09, 2010, 12:43:08 am »

Build a lake, Dump 95% of your native gold in, as rocks/ores not bars or blocks.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: September 09, 2010, 02:08:16 am »

My old fort has met its end at the hand of its own Axelord, who I appointed as captain of the guard to wreak revenge on those who were spamming me with "Cancels Job X, Tantruming" messages. A few minutes later, the dude has killed over half my population and named his axe something peaceful. Wacko.

My super-soldier went insane and was killed by a speardwarf. Whoopsie.

So yeah, that fort's gone. Genned a new world - hopefully I get a few titans/FBs this time. Oh, and it has a metric crapton of volcanoes as usual.

Found an embark with sand, a volcano, contact with all civs, and periodic freezing. Good for anything I might use it for.... Can you say "Goblin Icecubes"?
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: September 09, 2010, 02:18:05 am »

Ringforged was attacked by an ettin. Said ettin then charged at and knocked down one of my swordsdwarves who then, miraculously, proceeded to breathe fire all over the ettin.

...What?
Are you running genesis mod?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: September 09, 2010, 07:57:12 am »

I'm asking about the orthoclase.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: September 09, 2010, 08:38:11 am »

I found out why I have so much gold. Apparenytly if a map is deep enough, the game will run out of rock strata to place, and the last layer will progress all the rest of the way down to the magma sea. In my case, I have a diorite layer going from ≈z-63 to z-134. That's seventy-one layers of a gold-bearing stone with (IIRC) nothing unique to it, so it generates huge amounts of what it's layer type contains. Specifically, gold and orthoclase. I have ≈630000 of the latter.

I'm asking about the orthoclase.

Make Fort Knox. Only yellow. Fill it with gold bars in gold bins. Then challenge the Green Lantern Corps.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: September 09, 2010, 10:01:45 am »

I'm thinking of paving the surface. It would take 36864 gold, plus however many tiles of mountainside I dig out to make it look better. I can definitely afford it.

Valguris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: September 09, 2010, 10:06:43 am »

Things are getting more interesting in Furnacewild. Goblin ambush in summer, that was unexpected. I lost 2 experienced hammerdwarves, one had his head chopped off by goblin swordsman, the other got shot in head by human crossbowman :(.
My militia commander bashed goblin pikeman jamming the skull through the brain. Yes, jamming skull THROUGH BRAIN. I imagine this as she striked head from below, by neck or lower jaw and moved upward first tearing the brain and than having enough force to jam the skull. Yummy! The *silver war hammer* has lodged firmly in the wound.
Soon human caravan with human diplomat arrived. Diplomat instantly got turned into a pincushion. Goblins managed to kill merchant's guards and a few merchants themselves before getting fend off. Humans proceeded to unload their goods, but when i came back to depot, they disappeared. Browsing log there was no message of them packing back or leaving.

And I managed to catch a pair of giant eagles! almost... they are ZOMBIE giant eagles. :( Guess zombies don't breed. Still I remember one or two LIVING giant eagles coming to my site. Hoping for the best!

It took half year for competent strand extractor to extract 1 adamantine strand :(. Now he's working on 2nd.
There is very little progress on making magma forges. And cold fusion device. Aaaand exterior fortress walls.

Magma_science

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Human wrestler!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5758 on: September 09, 2010, 01:13:55 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is an attempt to make plump helmet farm gone horribly wrong. At first it was a 7x7 square. They were filled up to 3/7 almost instantly. Then i tried digging drainage channels. There were little effect (my dwarves becoming novice swimmers). I grossly underestimated the rain- on this embarkit rains 24/7, 7 days a weekthe whole year. I finally constructed floor above the lake, though with well-timed merchant caravans, black bear attacks and water freezing and unfreezing it took too long and expanded reservoir was full once more. Even when water at last was 1/7 it showed no sign of drying. Then there were more expansions of reservoir and now it seems plump helmet farm will be finished.

But the goddamn rain isn't stopping.

Syff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: September 09, 2010, 02:29:36 pm »

The Mandrill shakes The Puppy around by the head!
The head is ripped away and remains in The Mandrill's grip!
Avuz Gikutrigòth, Puppy (Tame) has been struck down.

I love this game.  I don't know why I've never embarked on a jungle before.
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 3842