Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128018 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5730 on: September 08, 2010, 12:58:03 pm »

You somehow got uberdwarfs, I'd unflood the fort and try to save them after they survived all that, but that's just me. :D

Send them down to conquer hell. :D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 01:06:38 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: September 08, 2010, 01:15:08 pm »

The magma sea is currently slowly flowing into the remainder of the HFS. Whoopee doo.

Bluemetal mining continues, and I'm (slowly) training up a weaponsmith and an armorsmith to make the members of my military who haven't become attached to every piece of armor they've ever worn some epic stuff.

Oh yeah, and my military went cavernslaughtering to appease my boredom. Not an injury among the lot of them, and a whole lot of dead cave critters.

For the record: mayor, 80+ citizens, 800k+ total wealth, and STILL no titans or FBs. Ironically, this world was supposed to be crawling with them. Maybe they're all hiding in the first cavern that I still haven't found....
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: September 08, 2010, 01:39:21 pm »

Learned two three four vaulable lessons with my current fort:

A: Entirely trap based defenses from above ground sieges are funny, but create so many hauling jobs from cages and reloading and body parts that 54 haulers are actually falling behind in work rather than catching up. I'm about to deactivate the 16 military and make less than vital legendary people like the leatherworker and glassmaker haul crap just because.

B: Armor Stands and Weapon Racks are totally useless outside shutting up nobles and setting a barracks. The only place dwarves will actually store owned clothes is a cabinet, and non-bag containers are only useful in the hospital(and shutting up nobles).

C: 5 Growers can work about 80% as effectively as 40 if you keep the farm size reasonable and set it so only farmers harvest. You lose some at first but they skill up pretty fast and you end up having to turn your farms off half the year because you ran out of space to make more stockpiles without having to make EVEN MORE WORK for your haulers that are so far behind you wonder if anything will ever get done.

D: Creating a sealed up(including roof) above ground refuse stockpile with two butcher's shops and two tanner's shops works surprisingly well at making meat out of various above and below ground cave creatures' corpses(especially some FBs), however you end up with so many bones you have no clue what to do with them, since they're mostly useless for weapons/armor. So i made a craftsdwarf workshop dedicated to decorating crap with bones, and it's gone less than terrible but not amazing or anything.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #5733 on: September 08, 2010, 01:40:46 pm »

Sazirruthösh lives again! It is also apparently the capital of dwarven civilization, since I genned a high-savagery world with a lot of starting titans. There are three goblin civilizations and two human ones remaining, and one of the goblin civs is really, really big.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: September 08, 2010, 02:16:18 pm »

EDIT 2: The siege is being lead by the goblin general, who is actually a dwarf. Odd.

S/he was kidnapped as a child and raised as a Goblin.

I know. Most of the ambushes has been led by Dwarves. I just didn't realize that slaves could actually ascend to one the highest positions in Goblin society.

Doesn't matter now though, since he's dead. OR at least I think he is since the Goblin civilization no longer has a general. My military dominated the siege. Not because they are skilled, but rather because I just realized how powerful adamantine really is. Almost every single attack was deflected because of the adamantine, allowing the Dwarves to effortlessly cut through the horde of goblins. The only injuries they sustained were on parts of their bodies that didn't have adamantine (one of them is now missing an arm). The only casualty was a new recruit, probably because he wasn't wearing adamantine. Right now my military is cleaning up the remnants of the siege, which consist of a troll squad so it shouldn't be much of a threat.

So Townbrush managed to survive. We'll probably have another age of prosperity until a Forgotten Beast with deadly dust comes and ruins everything. Speaking of which, there are tons of them in the caverns now. At least 8. They all refuse to approach the fortress. The flood water is apparently messing with their pathing. Which means as soon as the waters subside they are all going to rush the fort.

EDIT: I never get a break. Some zombie baracudas just came into the fortress via the newly constructed rooms. Now they're interrupting work everywhere. And my military isn't doing a damn thing. Two of them are resting in bed, while the third is bashing a troll with his shield. And there's still some rampaging horses running around in the underbelly of the Fortress.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:31:09 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: September 08, 2010, 02:58:19 pm »

C: 5 Growers can work about 80% as effectively as 40 if you keep the farm size reasonable and set it so only farmers harvest. You lose some at first but they skill up pretty fast and you end up having to turn your farms off half the year because you ran out of space to make more stockpiles without having to make EVEN MORE WORK for your haulers that are so far behind you wonder if anything will ever get done.

Define "reasonable" please?

'cos I'm trying to work out whether I should build 20, 34, 41, or 48 tile farms (the central tile of each will be seed stockpile for what it grows).

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5736 on: September 08, 2010, 03:14:49 pm »

I've easily run 100 dorf forts from a 25-tile farm. I always had more than enough food (I would buy out most caravans too). My problem was (and still is) the lack of barrels.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: September 08, 2010, 03:24:52 pm »

Ah. Interesting. thank you.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5738 on: September 08, 2010, 03:31:44 pm »

Please note, I am very much a n00b with DF, so take my advice with a grain of (rock salt block). I do agree with the usage of as few farmers as possible, as they do produce epic amounts of food later on from the farms. The 100 dorf fort I mentioned was absolutely swimming in food (primarily plump helmets, but still) with only 2 near-legendary growers.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: September 08, 2010, 03:34:01 pm »

Just got back into DF. I'm liking the awesome Lazy Newb Pack :D saves me a lot of hassle and the Ironhand tileset is just heaven.

Im in the process of relearning the Power system in DF and rebuilding powered traps.

At the moment Im making Pressurised Water Wall Cannons which have multiple firing points and can be fired independantly.

6 x waterwheels hooked up to 2xScrewpumps (Clockwise pump) which pump into a sealed wall chamber.

The wall chamber is 4 wide at the base with the higher Zlevels with a 2tile gap between the walls, at intervals on the highest Z level of the Pressure Chamber Wall are hatches which can be "popped" by one of dozens of levers. Which will hopefully launch water outwards. Mostly intended to be a nonviolent way of repelling enemies. Its one of my challenges this time around, try to survive as many sieges as possible without using traps (constructable traps, not makeshift ones like above) , excessive sealing and no military. Should be fun.

If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5740 on: September 08, 2010, 03:57:29 pm »

by one of dozens of levers

Sounds like Fun!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: September 08, 2010, 04:57:13 pm »

New site. Pocket world, gobbos and elves died out in year one, so now, year 3, is when the dwarves make themselves legendary.

The long story: DF Prospector shows 334599 native gold, that's more gold than I have slade, and my HFS is nineteen z-levels high. Also ≈8250 adamantine

Short version: I have ten times more gold than you.

Also, the entire northern border of my HFS is glowing eerily.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: September 08, 2010, 05:03:05 pm »

My current fort(Valleylake)'s civ HAS ACCESS TO VALLEY HERBS!
MONEY TIME!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: September 08, 2010, 07:29:01 pm »

Even with meddling in the raws, still no new Foxes born. I noticed, through looking at Runesmith, that all the foxes (except the one I recently purchased from an Elven caravan) are have the following checked flags:
- Roaming wilderness population source
- Roaming wilderness population source -- not a map feature

Only the animals whom I've captured off the map ("naturally") and tamed have those tags. While the second seems to have to do with being tamed, I can't help but wonder if they might be a part of the problem. I already have one male (the purchased one) without those tags so I runesmithed one female (natural capture) to not have those flags as well. See if that produces young.

Also, the FOX Head development is slowing down as I muddle about trying to decide how to progress with the muzzle and face.

Finally, a Giant made an appearance on my map. Did a terrible thing to a chained war dog:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The giant also did some serious damage to one of my speardwarfs before the rest of the military beat, stabbed, and cut the giant to a gruesome, mangled death. Seriously, there wasn't a part on it that wasn't marked red-mangled before it finally died.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: September 08, 2010, 08:36:55 pm »

My haulers found a GCS. Looks like I get to have a bit of tantrummy Fun.

I had to kill the GCS, though. I really should trap-load the caverns.

Edit: The cave life is becoming braver. A troll "stumbled" into one of my "put these at the cavern entrance in case stuff comes that wants to kill me" cage traps.

Edit again: Lol. The only dwarves that don't have a flashing red arrow are my army people and Urist McKickassMason who killed 26 steam demons.

Oh, and I'm training an bluemetal/artifact supersoldier. Right now, he's wearing my only two wieldable artifacts (a leather headscarf and a bluemetal crossbow), as well as (mostly) full bluemetal. He will be training soon, and eventually will be kicking some insane dwarf/cave critter ass.

But for now, he has to sit in the danger room training Shield, Armor, and Hammerdwarf.

Oh, and my military's had to strike down a bunch of dwarves who went totally nuts.

Another edit: OH MY GOSH. If an epileptic loaded my game of DF at this point, they would die of heart attack. So many flashing arrows and exclamation marks....

And my super-soldier dwarf can't get any bolts because my bonecrafter went melancholy.

THIS IS WHY YOU KEEP YOUR DWARVES FROM BECOMING FRIENDS.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:57:26 pm by TherosPherae »
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 3842