Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128015 times)

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5715 on: September 07, 2010, 10:13:18 pm »

Flooded the world with magma, although the magma still hasn't reached the entrance to my fort. The stuff flows slowly, even when being pumped out of a volcano at max speed.

Military is made up of 4 legendary dwarves - 3 spear, 1 axe. So far, there's been nothing for them to kill, aside from sending them exploring in the second cavern.

Speaking of which, I managed to breach the second cavern before the first. Blarg.

Drilling into the center of the earth for funmetal will begin... soon. I NEED A FB ATTACK OR SOMETHING, DANGET!
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: September 07, 2010, 10:34:56 pm »

I'm pretty sure Townbrush is doomed. The Darnen just launched a massive ambush that might as well be a siege. There are over 50 crossbow men out there being led by a single swordmaster. They also brought along a war Jaguar kill squad (which confused me since that arrived before any of them), and at least a dozen of them are mounted on horses. I can't even seal Townbrush up since they will just fly over the wall. So I pulled the zombie apocalypse lever. The horde of zombies was immediately cut down by a volley of bolts. Some of them are still fighting though, mainly just scaring away the Darnen horde. My only hope is that they will leave after running out of ammo.

EDIT: And the goblins just launched a siege as well. I'm pretty sure they're allied with the Darnen, so no hope of them killing each other. So now I'm being sieged by two factions at the same time. My military consist of 4 novice recruits suffering from cave blob blisters. If I somehow survive this I'll be amazed.

EDIT 2: The siege is being lead by the goblin general, who is actually a dwarf. Odd.

EDIT 3: My military, against my orders, is charging out into to the battlefield. They are doing surprisingly well, considering there lack of training. I suppose adamantine makes a huge difference. Also apparently everyone in my fort is a moron since even the guys who have no job refuse to pull the levers.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:42:46 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: September 07, 2010, 11:04:47 pm »

Accidentally busted open HFS while mining for funmetal.

The mason I used to seal off the break walled himself in on the wrong side.

Thinking "Poor Rocky, he'll be remembered well.", I go and make mining designations for more clownite from a different route.

I then look at the combat reports to see how my mason died, and actually see that all the steam clowns' attacks either missed or bounced off his pig tail fiber cloak.

So I'm waiting to see if he manages to kill them. If he does, he's getting himself a full funmetal room with masterwork EVERYTHING. And he'll be renamed to Urist McNorris - the first dwarf in my fort to gain a name other than their profession. And he'll get the first masterwork funmetal equipment that comes out of my magma forge.

Aaaaand now I'm getting a swathe of cancellation messages because my new funmetal tunnel goes right over the magma sea.

Edit: I forgot, I messed with this world a bit - there's only 1 type of clown. So it looks like Urist McNorris's odds are pretty good... if he doesn't die of thirst first....
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 11:08:09 pm by TherosPherae »
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: September 07, 2010, 11:08:01 pm »

Accidentally busted open HFS while mining for funmetal.

The mason I used to seal off the break walled himself in on the wrong side.

Thinking "Poor Rocky, he'll be remembered well.", I go and make mining designations for more clownite from a different route.

I then look at the combat reports to see how my mason died, and actually see that all the steam clowns' attacks either missed or bounced off his pig tail fiber cloak.

So I'm waiting to see if he manages to kill them. If he does, he's getting himself a full funmetal room with masterwork EVERYTHING. And he'll be renamed to Urist McNorris - the first dwarf in my fort to gain a name other than their profession. And he'll get the first masterwork funmetal equipment that comes out of my magma forge.

Aaaaand now I'm getting a swathe of cancellation messages because my new funmetal tunnel goes right over the magma sea.
Steam clowns are very ineffective when attacking, apparently.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #5719 on: September 07, 2010, 11:24:33 pm »

Friendlyfire has gotten astonishingly dull.  In spite of 111 squishy targets and 11 million dorfbux of wealth to lust after, no Goblin or Kobold seems to have the guts to approach it.  Probably because of the trap hall they'd have to traverse to get there.  Or maybe they heard a rumor about the masterwork funmetal statue depicting a Goblin prisoner going splat off the execution tower and lost their nerve, I don't know.
Sanity is for the weak.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: September 07, 2010, 11:34:43 pm »

Rocky the Mason has killed about a page worth of Steam Clowns. I think it's time for my military to help him out, as he is starting to get thirsty. How he's getting thirsty with all that steam there, I don't know.

Should I send in military help now, or wait until they get full clownite?

Edit: Nevermind that question; I let the 4-dwarf army loose on them before clownite. A few minutes of fighting later.... and all the steam critters are dead. Urist McNorrisish the Dehydrated Dwarf can now go get a drink without being spooked.

And now that I have nothing to worry about from HFS.... Time for ALL THE CLOWNITE I COULD EVER DREAM OF. :D:D:D:D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:06:35 am by TherosPherae »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: September 08, 2010, 01:46:53 am »

... You killed hell?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #5722 on: September 08, 2010, 02:27:29 am »

EDIT 2: The siege is being lead by the goblin general, who is actually a dwarf. Odd.

S/he was kidnapped as a child and raised as a Goblin.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: September 08, 2010, 02:29:39 am »

One of the weird ironic bits of Dwarf Fortress is the tendency of kidnapped dwarves to be HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL within the goblin armies.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: September 08, 2010, 02:31:51 am »

I finally struck the caverns, 7 years into my fort. I've just been so busy doing things on the surface that I never really went looking for them. I decided my militia commander needs an adamantine axe though, so cavern hunting it is.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: September 08, 2010, 02:34:15 am »

And now that I have nothing to worry about from HFS.... Time for ALL THE CLOWNITE I COULD EVER DREAM OF. :D:D:D:D

Create a clownite outpost/fortress in the circus tent to keep the stragglers from... I don't know, steam cleaning your floors? Removing wallpaper? Causing your dwarves to have wrinkle-free outfits?

Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!

Aik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: September 08, 2010, 03:29:46 am »

Magma accidents, forgotten beasts, and constant ambushes. I'm down to 20 dwarves and it looks like we're heading into another tantrum spiral.

The magma accident was me mining into obsidian thinking 'pfft, we're probably just above it or it's some weird problem. No way there'd be magma all the way up here'.
Well, if I'd had that thought one z-level higher it would have been true. Unfortunately, there was a high-up magma pipe there that's now heading into the caverns.

I decided that the magma in the caverns needed to be walled off to avoid having the entire second cavern become obsidian (although maybe that wouldn't be the worst of things, really).
Two of the forgotten beasts in the second cavern come up together - one made of steam the other a gigantic tick with feathers. Several battles with my mostly untrained militia later and they die. It seems I'm only getting the lame forgotten beasts.

A caravan! Open the gates!
Kobold bowmen shoot us up.

So yes. 20 dwarves, and no immigration waves for a while. The last one landed in a four-group ambush and was pretty much completely wiped out.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: September 08, 2010, 05:19:50 am »

I know I posted here not long ago, but the stuff of legends just occurred.

First, a human diplomat showed up. Unfortunately, he was a wombat demon law-giver, and he chose to negotiate with deadly spittle to the face. I sent my military, including my fantastically epic commander with twenty-eight notable kills under his belt, to deal with him. As soon as they're beyond the safety of the gatehouse, a goblin siege shows up. A dozen archers and another dozen swordsmen, all riding giant olms.

Now, I've got two rows of serrated iron saw blade traps guarding my gatehouse, which means the place is pretty much perpetually bathed in blood and body parts. The goblins charge, and I notice they brought trolls with as well. The human law-giver kills all six trolls single-handed, kills one of my newer recruits, and knocks my commander unconscious. The goblins bring him down, along with the human caravan guards, with a hail of bronze and silver arrows. Unfortunatly, this leaves me with a hammerdwarf, a swordsdwarf, and a couple of traps between me and extinction. The goblins press through my traps, which jam under the massive number of flying body parts. There's still over a dozen of the green buggers, plus their mounts. my dwarves are running for cover, and I'm getting ready to abandon.

Stop. Hammer time. My hammerdwarf turns around, and kills three giant olms, and eight goblins, forcing the entire siege back away from the fortress, crushing the runners as they go. There's blood and guts everywhere, but we live. My workers are busy throwing the severed limbs into the volcano now. I think this is the most fun I've ever had with this game.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5728 on: September 08, 2010, 08:07:17 am »

Currently searching for accessible magma in a brand new fort. So far, I've found several caverns, lots of damp stone, some SMR, and lots of "warm damp stone". Can't seem to actually find any magma though. :(
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

TheDrunknBunny

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: September 08, 2010, 12:56:44 pm »

My FPS bottomed out on my most recent fort, so I breached HFS to go out in a glorious death.  My miner from my original seven wasn't informed of my plan, and proceeded to single handedly maul anything that climbed up.  So, I flooded my fort, and after 2 seasons of my dwarves being trapped in 7/7 water, they're just now starving to death, not a single drowning victim among the lot of them.
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 3842