Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128311 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5685 on: September 07, 2010, 02:54:59 am »

I just lost a founder to a mood.  A legendary miner at that.  He needed silk cloth and I forgot to buy some the last time the dwarven caravan showed up.  At least it gave me an excuse to build a fancy tomb for him.  I walled off the entrance and carved a fortification into it so when any adventurers show up they'll be able to see inside but won't be able to enter.

My weapon traps are performing admirably.  They've churned up whole sieges of humans, war bears and war jaguars.  There are so many corpses in my refuse pile that I decided to start training a bone carver from scratch.  He's up to adequate.  Man it takes a lot to train these dwarves to do anything now.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: September 07, 2010, 03:44:29 am »

A thief has stolen a microcline blocks!
A thief has stolen a microcline blocks!

Somewhere out there, a mother kobold is going to have to explain the difference between microcline and clownite to her children.  She'll probably cry herself to sleep that night.

Oh my gosh, I feel so sad. D:
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: September 07, 2010, 03:58:59 am »

Finally got my Philosopher and Dungeon Keeper, so I've decided that they are going to be a pair of wacky sitcom roommates, and I've decided to force them to share the same bed. Hijinks will ensue, likely.

I had a lovely little goblin siege, with about 15 goblins attacking. Half of them were pummeled by my hilarious system of traps, the other half were devoured by zombie wolves, and the lone crossbowman was like "fuck this" and discretely left after a little deliberation.

Zombie wolves are like my own personal army.
Good sir, I would just like to say I find you hilarious.

YOU SHALL BE SPARED.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: September 07, 2010, 04:04:59 am »

I just lost three hours of work around the new floor of the dwarven condo, the crypts in the necropolis and a fine new ring of defensive walls outside the first one with a moat and a fine drawbridge, because the game freezed.

TheDrunknBunny

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: September 07, 2010, 04:12:37 am »

After a goblin ambush at the start of 1053, the dwarves of Minespear were collecting their fallen members, Megaman the swordsman who dodged off our bridge into the Pit Of Unfinished Construction, and a novice bonecarver who was collecting wood named Fred.  With the turn of Spring the rest of the goblin force appeared, surrounding Dakka the miner from the Original 7.  As luck would have it, Crew Member #6, a peasant from the most recent wave of immigrants who was drafted into the military before he reached the fortress proper, was on his way to collect the corpse of Fred.  Enraged by his lack of name and seeing an opportunity to make a name for himself, he charged at the group of 6 with naught but his steel gauntlets and iron short sword.  Within seconds two of the goblins were deprived of their heads, another had BOTH lungs pierced, and another had both hands removed and got one step away before his head was forcefully removed from the rest of his body.  The remaining goblins scattered before the mighty Crew Member #6 had an opportunity to add body parts to the field.

Before the alerts had truly taken hold, Crew Member #6 defeated the third goblin ambush against Minespear, earning himself the name Render.

Edit: Going through the unit list after the fact, there's a dead Forgotten Beast who's corpse I cannot find.  I like to think he imploded from fear of Render.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:15:55 am by TheDrunknBunny »

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: September 07, 2010, 04:40:24 am »

Just discovered a good thing about the three hours of game lost: this time there were no child among the immigrants, so theassault of goblin snatchers wasn't triggered. It means another calm season that will let me complete the new fortifications and train the army. Fair enough.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: September 07, 2010, 05:24:59 am »

Sent my troops down to kill the fb that was holding up progress and they kicked his ass. Then I sent them after some trogs that killed a few civilians. They were doing well, but then my marksdwarf started to lose his fight. As the trog strangled him for about 10 pages of battle spam, 4 other dwarves stood there and watched it happen. They didn't lift a finger until the marksdwarf was dead. I guess they didn't like him or something.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5692 on: September 07, 2010, 05:37:25 am »

I guess they didn't like him or something.
That, or he said "I'm oka-*Ggrglrgl*
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: September 07, 2010, 05:58:06 am »

I've figured the goblin attack pattern  :D 2 ambushed every season. Is it possible to drag thieves to a pit without having to put their cage next to it?

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: September 07, 2010, 07:02:40 am »

I've figured the goblin attack pattern  :D 2 ambushed every season. Is it possible to drag thieves to a pit without having to put their cage next to it?

Yes, but you'll want to make sure they've been disarmed first.

...On second thought, don't. Then post the results in the facepalm thread. :P

Aik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5695 on: September 07, 2010, 07:03:55 am »

I survived a tantrum spiral caused by daring to fight goblins with the military (TPK). We're running low on dwarves, but things are back on track. The drawbridge to the fort has been rebuilt for the nth time (idiots destroying the lever).

I'm preparing a magma cannon so that I can live in peace. ... although thinking about it, a wider moat would probably work just as well.
... but we'll fill it with magma anyway, so it's all good.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: September 07, 2010, 08:28:59 am »

A pack of migrants showed up and I ignored them, until a master thief made off with one child (most of one, anyway--for some reason he decided to chop her right hand off first).  Then two hammer squads ambushed me--meh, who cares, they're just mooks--wait, when did that HM weaponsmith show up?!  Crap!  He's actually useful!!  Cue drafting migrants into squads which are told to flee or march towards certain death...

There was a novice miller in the wave.  I was only paying attention to the smith, but then... I noticed the corpses.  The miller had torn apart two wolves and a hammerman with his bare hands, was in the process of mutilating yet another wolf, and had even taken some shots at the babysnatcher before he'd even been drafted.  He came away with only a bruised arm and leg.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: September 07, 2010, 08:41:33 am »

I screwed up Gemworks due to my own stupidity (blocked off my entrance with pressurized water), and a stray giant cave swallow mount kept me permanently under siege. So I dug into hell, and my adamant-clad military utterly destroyed the demons.  So much for going out with a bang.

On the up side, I have a nice prototype for fort's auto-corpse-and-gear-disposing entryway.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: September 07, 2010, 10:04:57 am »

I am in mid-spring of year 33 (second year after embark) with only 40% dead titans (80% is default).  My first FB arrived on first layer of caverns and is only a large herbavore made of mud.  My embark was the only volcanoe on map and it is sinister.  The other half of my 2x2 embark is mirthful.  I have unicorns and undead goats on surface plus loads of migrating undead in caverns.  I am watching the FB explore the dangers and I am slowly developing my fort's industry.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: September 07, 2010, 11:01:15 am »

I've embarked in a barren waste of a location. I wasn't actually watching the biome, I just saw a river junction with high cliffs and decided it would be fun to play with a really high waterfall. I immediately dug to cavern level and lost a miner and woodcutter to cavern beasties. Luckily migrants started flooding in immediately instead of waiting until after the caravan. I've dug out a bigish pillar in the caverns to hold bedrooms and dining rooms, and walled off a large compound in the caverns. Farms have been started, enough cave-wood has been found to make beds and some bins. The 5 deaths that have happened so far let me trade for food from the caravan without actually producing anything, preowned clothes sell well.

My central staircase actually managed to pierce adamantium on the way down, so as soon as my metalworkers are practiced up some nice armor can be made. Lava smelters and forges are up and ready over the magma sea all that's needed is a bunch of junkmetal to practice on. It seems that my cavern fort is really rolling, now I just need to trap the heck out of the surface for when the goblins appear and concentrate on making an army of bright blue dwarves.
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 3842