Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128310 times)

Valguris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5670 on: September 06, 2010, 01:39:49 pm »

I'm finally designing my magma pumps to power magma forges. Also designed *cold fusion* machine to power everything, using water from the bottom cavern lake (the one, that is actually sitting on top of magma sea).
Early spring some migrants arrived. I turned most of them into haulers since my fort is half-paralyzed with all the workshops *CLT*. One is competent strand extractor, and so is useful now, just when I mined some adamantine. Rest of them drafted.
So when I was waiting for elven caravan I forbade everything outside fortress. Everyspring's festival soon started. This time around 25 goblins (axemen and lashers, + a few human swordsmen) arrived before caravan and promptly killed all elves but a diplomat. Unfortunately all stuff elves were carrying ended up near map edge, far from entrance to my fort, so it wil take a lot of hauler's time to bring it inside. But hey, they brought me Tiger woman herbalist! Novice herbalist and bone setter, but she refuses to do any work :(.
Surprisingly, my military (22 dwarves) proved to be effective and fend off goblins with just a minor injury to one recruit, who was healed soon. One of militia captains refused to bring his weapon and was bashing goblins with his *iron shield*. Only dwarf casualty is a doctor - I don't know what was he doing outside. Oh, and I lost a bunch of animals, including a few wardogs. Now I got 3 unhappy soldiers. I don't know how to cheer them up, they seem not to eat in legendary dining room, nor notice tastefully arranged statues and splendid bridges and roads on battlefield.

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: September 06, 2010, 01:48:29 pm »

I just breached hell.  Whilst doing this I accidentally hit magma too, and the Magma Sea is draining into hell.  So far nothing has come out of hell, but I have one Adamantine armoured and armed squad waiting.  Not that it will help.
Diggy diggy hole.

Tonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: September 06, 2010, 01:54:33 pm »

Entrance to my Fort Knifeobscure is a bridge over a ravine.  I channeled some foes into a tunnel below ground level and filled it with water up to 7/7.  Had the darndest time trying to drown them.  So I opened the floodgate that dumps the water into the ravine, and it swept the little dickenses out.  I have a fortification that should prevent that from happening, but there they are in the river at bottom of the ravine, little broken legs from the fall, not drowning and waiting for winter to freeze them.  Which is pretty awesome.  But I want to actually drown some of them next time.

endorfin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: September 06, 2010, 03:57:56 pm »

First goblin ambush after a new embark.  Things had been quiet, so I'd managed to set up a small military (3 axes, 6 crossbows), equip them with steel and get them training.  Utterly failed to get the bowdorfs to fire a shot in anger, but the commander of the axe squad singlehandedly obliterated the 5 goblins.  No injuries on our side.  I was proud.

Now a new wave of immigrants has come.  I'll set half of them training for next time.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: September 06, 2010, 05:39:23 pm »

Just quite liked this engraving. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is what happened to the last gibberling beasty that attacked Racelash laddy.  Were the mud and ichor stained caverns not sign enough?

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: September 06, 2010, 09:48:31 pm »

The tragic mini-tale of Asom the Leatherworker:

Asom was arrested for failure to produce requested goods by the mayor, and sentenced to 100 days in jail. On the same day he was arrested, he entered a fey mood. "No wait," he pleaded, "I will make something fantastic for the mayor!" But his pleas fell on deaf ears; it was already too late, he had failed the mayor. He was chained in the dungeon, where he died a slow and miserable death from melancholy.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 09:51:39 pm by AngleWyrm »

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: September 06, 2010, 10:34:49 pm »

Finally got my Philosopher and Dungeon Keeper, so I've decided that they are going to be a pair of wacky sitcom roommates, and I've decided to force them to share the same bed. Hijinks will ensue, likely.

I had a lovely little goblin siege, with about 15 goblins attacking. Half of them were pummeled by my hilarious system of traps, the other half were devoured by zombie wolves, and the lone crossbowman was like "fuck this" and discretely left after a little deliberation.

Zombie wolves are like my own personal army.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: September 06, 2010, 10:36:44 pm »

Finally got my Philosopher and Dungeon Keeper, so I've decided that they are going to be a pair of wacky sitcom roommates, and I've decided to force them to share the same bed. Hijinks will ensue, likely.

I had a lovely little goblin siege, with about 15 goblins attacking. Half of them were pummeled by my hilarious system of traps, the other half were devoured by zombie wolves, and the lone crossbowman was like "fuck this" and discretely left after a little deliberation.

Zombie wolves are like my own personal army.
Good sir, I would just like to say I find you hilarious.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: September 06, 2010, 10:38:32 pm »

I am slowly building a "Screw-the-World" lever. Now if only my miners would stop cavein killing themselves at the mouth of the volcano, maybe, just maybe, I could finish it before the traders leave.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: September 06, 2010, 10:50:59 pm »

The "zombie apocalypse" trap is progressing well. Dozens of cages holding zombie lesser kraken, crundles, and trogs have been placed outside and linked to a single lever. The cherry on top is a caged Giant. Hopefully they will spill plenty of goblin blood, enough to convince the goblins that Townbrush isn't worth the effort.

Speaking of goblins, they've begun attacking once again. The Goblin ambushes effortlessly cut down the Elven caravan, but this month the humans caravan guards drove them off. The military isn't in much shape to fight, so this is a good thing. A lot of people are suffering from blisters. Some digger killed a cave blob and now he's dragging cave blob fluid across the fort, spreading infection to everyone.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: September 06, 2010, 11:06:46 pm »

After about 2 years, finally, some migrants have arrived despite the danger. Refilled my military ranks and things are actually getting done again. Pretty soon it will be time to kick that fb out of my caverns. Both of them.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Aik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: September 06, 2010, 11:20:04 pm »

Least terrifying forgotten beast ever. I haven't had much experience with them so was quite alarmed when it showed up - especially with it being a blob of water. Inorganic forgotten beats are meant to be terrifying, right?
Well, it starts off reasonably well. Kills the mason who was walling us off from the underwater lake by knocking him off into the water. Then it starts making its way up the disused pumpstack. My militia is pitiful, but they move to defend the living area.

Then Urist McThresher bumps into it and kills it with a few punches.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: September 06, 2010, 11:51:46 pm »

A thief has stolen a microcline blocks!
A thief has stolen a microcline blocks!

Somewhere out there, a mother kobold is going to have to explain the difference between microcline and clownite to her children.  She'll probably cry herself to sleep that night.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: September 07, 2010, 12:18:13 am »

I've been busy locking up new immigrant dwarfs that have been having strange moods, asking for things I have no means of getting! How am I suppose to get sand on top of a mountain?

At least they were friendless, and no one suffered Bad Thoughts at their slow deaths by starvation.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #5684 on: September 07, 2010, 01:49:34 am »

I've been busy locking up new immigrant dwarfs that have been having strange moods, asking for things I have no means of getting! How am I suppose to get sand on top of a mountain?

If you're playing the 2010 version, you can buy it from merchants.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 3842