Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128781 times)

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5625 on: September 05, 2010, 12:34:52 pm »

got rid of my lifestock :P FAST

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 12:40:49 pm by sjaakwortel »
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #5626 on: September 05, 2010, 12:52:51 pm »

you should have kept one of each sex of each of the unusual animal, if just so you can have diversity in the meals.Except cats. They should always die.
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: September 05, 2010, 12:57:16 pm »

I have :P, this is about half of it.
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: September 05, 2010, 12:58:02 pm »

nooo! the raccoon?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: September 05, 2010, 01:52:10 pm »

Restarted due to being overrun by Orcs and within 2 minutes one of my Miners gets himself crushed under a cavein.  Doh.
Diggy diggy hole.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: September 05, 2010, 02:04:21 pm »

Hmmm, I'm always making block just because it's easier to make block than dig out more storage for stone, and as long as you have a fairly decent operation for block construction, you can usually keep up with mining and keep your stone stockpile down to size. As amazing quantum stockpiling is, it requires a lot of dwarves to move the stone I have sitting around. It skills masons, removes stone, and works everywhere stone does.

However, I've never noticed a difference in the time it takes to make something out of raw vs blocks.

Currently slaughtering kittens by the truckload. For a while I was just shoving them into a cage, but I decided to slaughter them now. Crap ton of kittens. At least 100, maybe more. I hope the humans like cat bone crafts.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: September 05, 2010, 02:26:52 pm »

My last fortress died a FPS-based death.

I genned a new world with lots of titan and LOTS of volcanoes. I also lowered the requirements for having a titan show up.

Time for some Fun.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: September 05, 2010, 02:41:49 pm »

I'm thinking it may almost be easier to train up a military of decent strength and take the First cavern level by force, wall up the edges, and flood IT, rather than building my artificial cavern.

This fort is nearing FPS death due to stone and population. I think I'll have to abandon the original settlement area and move everything below the permafrost level to allow for less cramped (and thus higher FPS due to less pathing issues) quarters.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: September 05, 2010, 02:48:40 pm »

I genned a new world with lots of titan and LOTS of volcanoes. I also lowered the requirements for having a titan show up.

Time for some Fun.
Funny, that's what I do too now!
For added fun, I used Deon's Genesis mod (a crapload of different races), genned with 100 civs, a shitload of titans, low requirements and embarked on year 2... Should get a few of them very soon!

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: September 05, 2010, 02:49:16 pm »

Time for some Fun.
Funny, that's what I do too now!
For added fun, I used Deon's Genesis mod (a crapload of different races), genned with 100 civs, a shitload of titans, low requirements and embarked on year 2... Should get a few of them very soon! (I know I'm getting an awful lot of ambushes and a half-hearted siege)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: September 05, 2010, 02:52:31 pm »

I was testing my earth benders for my avatar mod (work in progress) by making the mountain entity refer to them instead of dwarves. Got about a year in fine, then found out the hard way that I forgot to make my master earthbenders immune to the syndrome breath attack they use to simulate internal injury from their earth attacks. On the plus side, the wolves they went to kill are dead, but all but three of my ten master benders just died from their own attacks. Those that didn't die were all drinking at the time. Go figure.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: September 05, 2010, 03:43:04 pm »

It is far faster to actually build the wall with blocks, so even untrained masons throw walls up quickly

I've never seen masons put up walls faster when using blocks, mainly because I don't think their masonry skill has any effect on the speed of wall construction.
Your're right. SKill does not matter. But I can guarantee you that blocks do matter. It takes, in my experience, about a tenth of the time per segment.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: September 05, 2010, 04:12:53 pm »

Life in my new fort is going well - just got autumn of the 1st year, and already have a bit of a metal industry going. Hooray for volcanoes.

Now to wait for a Titan to show up...
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: September 05, 2010, 04:28:45 pm »

My engraver just decorated my dining hall with images of a battle between elves and goblins. And the elves are winning. I think I need to go drown my engraver.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #5639 on: September 05, 2010, 04:42:09 pm »

just breached into candy floss and am currently taming and warring a variety of elephants. just for the lulz i butchered one of them, and as their skin was taken to the tanners I looked at it and it looked as if it was extremely cluttered. are elephant skins that big?
Look at what a totally original signature this is.
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 3842