Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128827 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5610 on: September 04, 2010, 10:02:46 pm »

I... just accidentally breached HFS And all but two children are, well, dead.
Right now the clowns are all focused on my bedrooms and killing the wildlife in the  caverns. This would be good... if i had any non-children dwarfs to seal them down there.
Also, the vein was hollow all the way up at the third cavern level, with only two z-levels of non hollow vein.
At this point, really, i suggest using DF therapist to allow labors for children. Really, at the moment it's not cheating, but rather kids actually getting off their asses and struggling to survive.
At the time of posting that, one was struck with melancholy and the other's spine was broken.
Said melancholy one did manage to defeat a clown without a scratch(It's attacks kept glancing off the dwarf's leather cloak)
Hmmm... so ultimate sadness cancels (yet originates from) hatred of millions of years?
Interesting...

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #5611 on: September 04, 2010, 11:00:54 pm »

Project Coppertop goes into standby mode and the dorfs perform final cleanups and preparations for the great moment.

Meanwhile, my new magma reservoir, something like 50x40 and up five Z-levels, slowly fills with magma.  This shall be my final attempt to flood the lower tunnels once and for all and power the forges at the bottom of my dug-out inverted pyramid.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: September 05, 2010, 12:26:16 am »

It is far faster to actually build the wall with blocks, so even untrained masons throw walls up quickly
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: September 05, 2010, 12:39:35 am »

Well...before accidentally cutting the power to my computer and losing about 2 hours of game time, I had actually started losing some dwarves to ambushes.  It seems one dwarven child decided it would be a good idea to wander around outside for a while during an ambush.  In a vain attempt to try to save him I sent out my axedwarves to take care of the goblins.  The child died and I lost one of my axedwarves but the goblins were taken care of.  Unfortunately the axedwarf that died ended up in the semi-moat in front of my fortress.  Given this particular dwarf's contributions to the defense of my fortress, I didn't care to leave him down there.  So I devised a way to drain the moat.

This is where the real trouble began.  Due to a good deal of the combat taking place on or in close proximity to the bridge over the moat, there was a great deal of blood and gore in the moat.  Since the channeled out area was technically part of my fortress, at least as far as the game was concerned, my dwarves decided this was an area that needed a good deal of cleaning.  Obviously this prompted many dwarves to periodically wander outside to get into the moat to clean it.  And of course, an unarmed dwarf wandering around outside during an ambush is a dead dwarf.

However in the end I didn't really lose that many dwarves.  I think there were a total of 5 including the child and the axedwarf that were killed before I devised a way to block off access to the moat.  It was at that point that a mysterious force in the shape of a foot decided to cycle the power to my computer.  Guess those dwarves get a second chance.  First thing I'm doing is blocking off access to the moat and any child caught outside during an ambush is on his own.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: September 05, 2010, 02:12:12 am »

Helmssinged has hit a rough patch.  One of the many forgotten beasts roaming the caverns turned out to be a flying one and due to an oversight managed to get into the central stairwell.  It tore up a war jaguar but was dispatched promptly by the two axedwarves.  Unfortunately, one of them got forgotten beast spit right in the eyes and has gone blind.  Moreover, the centralized location of the battle left a lot of blood that caused nerve damage to a number of the dwarves and animals before it was cleaned up.  As for the blind dwarf, I don't know how effective she'll be in future battles without her eyes, but I've already prepared a mausoleum for her.  She is a legendary axedwarf, fighter, and shield user, so at least she might be able to teach new recruits when they grow up.  Despite her loss of sight, she is ecstatic.

The one prolific family had their eighth child, pushing the population up to 20.  The fort is now a hamlet.  All the residents have at the minimum fine quarters, private dining rooms, and offices all with numerous masterful engravings.

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: September 05, 2010, 06:47:08 am »

My doctor decided to take over a clothier's shop and make a legendary sock. He was possessed, so I'm not exactly happy about it. All it'll do is bring more Potash Makers to my fortress.

I don't think it's very comfortable, either.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: September 05, 2010, 07:01:31 am »

Well, I've embarked in some Evil tropical forest. Not much so far, but a troop of gorillas has wandered on and a grimeling is sort of milling about one of the murky pools at the edge of the screen.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: September 05, 2010, 07:30:46 am »

Is Clown the word for the Fun beings now?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: September 05, 2010, 09:48:56 am »

Is Clown the word for the Fun beings now?
Clown (for a long while now) is the word for a specific type of Fun. The kind that comes out of the Funhouse.

Cue the Calliope
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:53:45 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: September 05, 2010, 10:25:50 am »

Speaking of clowns...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 10:45:55 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: September 05, 2010, 11:10:18 am »

You delved too greedily. And too deep.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: September 05, 2010, 11:30:30 am »

It is far faster to actually build the wall with blocks, so even untrained masons throw walls up quickly

I've never seen masons put up walls faster when using blocks, mainly because I don't think their masonry skill has any effect on the speed of wall construction.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #5622 on: September 05, 2010, 12:01:12 pm »

Sazirruthösh is in its first few weeks, as I start my first long-term 31.xx fort. What will the future hold? Only time will tell.

I do have an awesome entryway planned, though.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: September 05, 2010, 12:02:43 pm »

I've never seen masons put up walls faster when using blocks, mainly because I don't think their masonry skill has any effect on the speed of wall construction.

It seems to me that the masons always get the walls done more single-mindedly, if they are working against the forces of distraction (aka. not being scared by groundhogs, etc.). But that could just be imagination. They certainly don't seem to get it done faster.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5624 on: September 05, 2010, 12:16:55 pm »

Since it seems I started this little discussion over rock vs. block, let me please clarify that I'm only doing it because it's harder and more time consuming - thus dwarfy. The initial defensive walls are up (found out my moat freezes in the winter), so the elves will have to go through the traps (with one artifact spiked iron ball up front) to get to me. Which they will, since I'm 100+ trees over my limit. Oops.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 3842