Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129032 times)

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5565 on: September 03, 2010, 01:15:10 pm »

I opened up the 3rd level of the caverns and was preparing a few projects but then a giant beakless swift showed up up(beware its poison dust!) and is sitting right in front of my cavern entrance. to all three caverns. My dwarves can't beat him so right now I'm trying to come up with a plan so i can get back to work. Meanwhile, a little closer to the surface, some jackass dropped a shoe in the doorway to my dungeon and everyone refuses to move it. So I can't close the door, which means I can't open the cages. GRRRRR!
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5566 on: September 03, 2010, 01:23:40 pm »

Started my first "now I know how most of DF2010 works" fort last night. So far the moat is dug and filled, irrigation is up, farming is up, booze making is working, bedrooms are being dug - and no one has died. Something must be wrong.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #5567 on: September 03, 2010, 02:01:25 pm »

I've decided to actually MAKE a megaproject, rather than merely conceive them in my head. My plan is to make a massive toilet out of marble and microcline, with a working flush system and U-bend. If that works I'm gonna turn the entire map into a massive bathroom with a -something- plated bath which will have hot (magma) and cold (water) taps.

Oh, and did I mention that the toilet will have a trade depot in the centre?.
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: September 03, 2010, 02:26:43 pm »

Started my first "now I know how most of DF2010 works" fort last night. So far the moat is dug and filled, irrigation is up, farming is up, booze making is working, bedrooms are being dug - and no one has died. Something must be wrong.

A vile force of darkness has arrived!
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5569 on: September 03, 2010, 02:36:03 pm »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Yeah, thankfully it's only the first year, as my defenses are lacking non-existent. Made just enough crafts to buy an anvil and some mood materials. As soon as the bedroom dig produces enough kaolinite, the block production will start, which will lead to the above-ground defenses.

Scrippy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: September 03, 2010, 02:44:01 pm »

Why do people build things out of blocks instead of just raw stone?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: September 03, 2010, 02:58:28 pm »

Because blocks have a higher value when used in architecture. I don't bother with it though, as I think it is just a waste of time. If I was building everything with blocks everything would be much slower.

Anyways, Townbrush is still barely scrapping by. Most of the work is being dedicated to keeping the fortress from falling apart, and even that isn't working to well since most of the cage traps are still unloaded, dead Dwarves are strewn throughout the fortress, and the number of bodies piled up at the entrance is becoming absurd. So then the liaison comes, and sees this mess of a Fortress. He sees crippled Dwarves lying at the entrance begging for food, skeletons shoved into corners, and several whale carcasses clogging the main road (I guess the Dwarves just crawl through them to get by).

Apparently, my liaison thinks these are the qualities of a grand fortress. Townbrush has officially become a county. Even though we don't have a count. Maybe he just went to my baroness's tomb and promoted her posthumously. Then again I don't need a noble demanding stuff I can't possibly provided, so that's probably for the best.

I seem to be sitting on a fair amount of kaolinite, so I'm going to try to make a blood red fort.

That's a great idea, since everything in your fort is going to be stained red with blood anyways.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:02:07 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5572 on: September 03, 2010, 03:01:02 pm »

I've been playing DF for a while now (that is not meant as a statement of skill) and have never built anything out of blocks. So, I see it as a challenge. I'm going to build a "classical" style "castle" inside my moat with four small towers at the corners, and thick, tall walls between. I seem to be sitting on a fair amount of kaolinite, so I'm going to try to make a blood red fort.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: September 03, 2010, 03:31:44 pm »

. . . by Armok's beard. . .

I just got my first Bronze colossus. this will be Fun.

Now lets see if my military is worth anything! I have a lot of iron weapons, which will be nigh useless, but thankfully I also made a ton out of bronze. at least THAT won't get a negative for being weaker. Right as I was starting a Megaconstruction too. those civilians are doomed unless they flee back to the keep asap.

Edit: It's named Iseth Splattercut, the Jaw of Domination. I'm so screwed. at least everyone managed to make it to the keep
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:34:11 pm by lanceleoghauni »
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: September 03, 2010, 03:42:57 pm »

. . . by Armok's beard. . .

I just got my first Bronze colossus. this will be Fun.

Now lets see if my military is worth anything! I have a lot of iron weapons, which will be nigh useless, but thankfully I also made a ton out of bronze. at least THAT won't get a negative for being weaker. Right as I was starting a Megaconstruction too. those civilians are doomed unless they flee back to the keep asap.

Edit: It's named Iseth Splattercut, the Jaw of Domination. I'm so screwed. at least everyone managed to make it to the keep

You would be if Bronze Colossus weren't negated by a single cage trap.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: September 03, 2010, 03:44:55 pm »

Reaaaaaaaaaaaly now. I've never run into one. he shall have to be put on display. *goes to make some nice metal cages*

I almost want to mod it to make it tameable. then make a War Bronze Colossus
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:52:36 pm by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: September 03, 2010, 04:24:04 pm »

Not much progress, but I've built over a lake beneath the FOX Head to preserve it. Also placed a new Trade Depot there!

What's that, Trade-elves? 'It looks like a sacrificial altar?' NO! no! no, no, no, noooo... mmm...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Had a bit of trouble when I deconstructed the original, though. I waited until the Dwarven Merchants were leaving on their way to order the deconstruction. However, this apparently bugged it. The merchants stopped moving the moment the order went out and wouldn't start moving again even after cancelling the order. They finally started moving after I reordered it deconstructed and so I tried to stop the deconstruction again.

However, it had already partially commenced during that time and the whole thing broke up.

The merchants seemed fine and kept on leaving, and I started looking through the junk to see what I would have hauled back to the fortress when I noticed... All the merchant's stuff was there too: all mine.  :o Hope they don't declare war on me now...

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: September 03, 2010, 04:41:53 pm »

Three Forgotten Beasts in two years.  Bear in mind these are the first two years after the one in which my fort was founded...however, they were easy to kill, so no big deal.  The second one wiped out the military, though...but a big, mostly useless immigration wave helped alleviate that problem.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: September 03, 2010, 04:43:24 pm »

Reaaaaaaaaaaaly now. I've never run into one. he shall have to be put on display. *goes to make some nice metal cages*

I almost want to mod it to make it tameable. then make a War Bronze Colossus

Yeah, it's one of the things I dislike about DF at the moment. Cage traps either always capture a creature, or they never do. I think a Bronze Colossus should be a major threat,  one that isn't defeated by a simple cage trap. However, they also shouldn't be able to stroll past all your traps without suffering a scratch.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: September 03, 2010, 04:49:27 pm »

at the moment I've just got my fort sealed up. once the Dwarves get here I think I'll help the Guard defeat them with my small military.

*Mayor facepalms*

Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 3842