Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129301 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5490 on: August 31, 2010, 08:47:58 pm »

I'm hesitant to say there is some hope again, but there might be. There's one small, secluded area in the abyss. It's high up, so it will take a long time for it to be flooded. If Rigoth can work quick enough, she can seal it off and preserve it. The cavern is taking a long time to flood, so she's probably going to starve to death before the waters reach her. She'll be a hero to the fortress if she can seal that area off.

So here's the situation; all mining has ground to halt due to flooding. All metalsmithing has ground to a halt due to a lack of fuel and raw materials. All tree cutting has ground to a halt due to flooding. All underground farming has ground to a halt due to flooding. All work in general has ground to a halt due to significant portions of the population being killed of by flooding. I don't think things can get much worse.

:(
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5491 on: August 31, 2010, 09:12:39 pm »

only tip i can supply... if there is just one dwarf left near an able booze & food pile, seal them in there with a pickaxe and have him/her wait it out. t is a good idea to do this with a  dwarf if:
(s)he are happy
has crafting skills (can build tables & chairs to dine in for happines)
little to no friends.
a bed.

if you manage to get him/her to survive hermitage until the migrants think 'safety' and start ariving again, then you are awesome.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: August 31, 2010, 09:15:12 pm »

Burneddyes is doing well - we just had a cyclops show up and, after murdering a couple of stupid cats, ran straight into a cage trap.

Now, what to do with him...
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: August 31, 2010, 09:17:06 pm »

I'm hesitant to say there is some hope again, but there might be. There's one small, secluded area in the abyss. It's high up, so it will take a long time for it to be flooded. If Rigoth can work quick enough, she can seal it off and preserve it. The cavern is taking a long time to flood, so she's probably going to starve to death before the waters reach her. She'll be a hero to the fortress if she can seal that area off.

So here's the situation; all mining has ground to halt due to flooding. All metalsmithing has ground to a halt due to a lack of fuel and raw materials. All tree cutting has ground to a halt due to flooding. All underground farming has ground to a halt due to flooding. All work in general has ground to a halt due to significant portions of the population being killed of by flooding. I don't think things can get much worse.

The only way you can solve this is with an elaborate drowning trap.  Use a bridge above the flooded Abyss. 
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: August 31, 2010, 10:06:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We now return you to our regularly-scheduled succession game already in progress.
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: August 31, 2010, 10:37:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We now return you to our regularly-scheduled succession game already in progress.
Out of curiousity, on what magnitude is its value?

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: August 31, 2010, 10:57:03 pm »

17,641,200 dorfbux.
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: August 31, 2010, 11:25:39 pm »

17,641,200 dorfbux.

Alright, now make it the centerpiece of a legendary zoo.  Fill it with captured megabeasts.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: August 31, 2010, 11:41:17 pm »

So. I just took a peek into the workshop of my gem setter to see what he's been doing with all my green glass...

And found a green glass gem worth 13k dwarfbux. I looked at it further, and found it encrusted with gems of almost every type I've uncovered in this fort, and a few that I traded for. It also has some of the oddest images on it ever, including, but not limited to:
  • My bookkeeper/manager "devouring" a piece of cheese in star sapphire
  • Two fuchsia brutes
  • The rise and fall of Carp the expedition leader

I swear, the thing has so many spikes gemmed onto it that any kobold that tries to take it will gets his hands impaled.

Besides my green glass gem of ultimate win, the fort is looking pretty good. Got my smithy making steel trap-axes nonstop, mechanic is training his ass away in the workshop, as are the masons and my carpenter. Haulers are bored, as my goods stockpile only handles stuff that's exceptional or better. The 4-man hammerdwarf army is currently training away in the Hallway of Much Danger...

Soon, I will set up a firing squad and have them turn the hostiles that blunder into the cage traps into pincushions. The first to meet this fate will be the Goblin Master Thief I caught trying to sneak in. After that comes the cyclops.
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: August 31, 2010, 11:49:49 pm »

I just got extremely lucky with a scorpion forgotten beast. Only one dwarf died, no wounded dwarves, and that dwarf that died didn't really have any combat experience so she was expendable. Still, it was a shame as fighting the FB got her into an elite wrestler for some reason before she died.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: September 01, 2010, 12:51:39 am »

I've got two squads of three training before I hit the first winter. The first squad is led and taught by the swordsdwarf/Proficient Teacher "Sigurdr" Somethingorother, and they're doing quite well. The other squad is spending most of their time staring at the ground thinking how awesome it would be if they were the other squad.

Basically, I'm trying to accelerate Squad 2's training by having them chase after camels with training spears.

rmunn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: September 01, 2010, 12:55:56 am »

The only way you can solve this is with an elaborate drowning trap.  Use a bridge above the flooded Abyss.

Like a bridge over troubled water...
Meet the seven year-old girl Lokum Ishemavuz. Her hobbies include taking care of her pet vulture, playing in graveyards, and killing people before they have a chance to scream.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: September 01, 2010, 01:17:30 am »

Finally getting some ambushes.  Two popped up at the same time and my axedwarves were ready and waiting.  The first group of ambushers were all markslins.  I had my axedwarves situated in such a way that any ranged attackers couldn't fire on them until they were very close.  Unfortunately my axedwarves had only barely adequate combat skills so there were a few injuries.  But in the end the markslins were all chopped up nice and neat.  The second group of ambushers must have taken a big hit to their morale after that because as soon as they saw the gore they took off.  A couple of stragglers didn't quite make it.  I have a feeling they won't be attacking again any time soon.

For the first time I decided to go ahead and get a hospital going since most of my fortress is already running pretty efficiently.  After some reading up on the wiki I managed to get all the bare necessities organized and the three dwarves that were injured during the fighting are well on their way to recovery.  One got beat up a little more than the others.  Apparently the silver bolts the goblins were using somehow managed to penetrate his bronze chain leggings and got to the bone.  He took another bad one to the arm and the chest.  His arm and lung appear to be recovering fine but his leg is going to take a little more time.  Even so he's in good spirits, still doing his side job of strand extraction with little impact on his performance with an "ecstatic" mood.  I guess that's what happens when you give all your military dwarves their own grand bedroom.

On a side note I started this fortress after dabbling in a little modding.  Just for kicks I added another plant to add a little more...flavor...to the game.  Crunch berry wine, anyone?

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: September 01, 2010, 01:31:58 am »

On a side note I started this fortress after dabbling in a little modding.  Just for kicks I added another plant to add a little more...flavor...to the game.  Crunch berry wine, anyone?

Aye aye, Cap'n Crunch! (It had to be said.)

Aaaanyways, I just fought off this fort's first gobbo siege. Besides the bait hunter they killed to be noticed, nobody died except a bunch of goblins. I am now having my dwarves throw most of the goblinite into the magma dump, except the metal bits.

Oh, and I caught another goblin thief that decided to come along with the ambush and wander directly into a cage trap. More training for the military, I guess...

nucleus222

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: September 01, 2010, 03:13:27 am »

Thought i would build a pit to try and throw gobbo's down i mis calculated and my 3 legendary miners fell down the pit instead. the are recovering in the hospital but i doubt they will dig again. I am impressed with how well the hospitals are working.  Also i have been slack and started building defences to late and a goblin ambush has arrived. will be interesting to see if i survive. if not at least i had FUN....
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 3842