Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129619 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5445 on: August 30, 2010, 06:07:57 pm »

It's becoming increasingly hard to manage Townbrush as more Dwarves begin to tantrum or go insane. I really need an immigration wave, since we're running out of Dwarves in almost every profession. Doctors, Farmers, Forge Masters, even Masons are in short supply. I don't understand why nobody is coming to Townbrush. Does the death rate of your fortress actually affect immigration?

Townbrush fun fact; There are exactly 10 tame animals still living in the fortress.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5446 on: August 30, 2010, 06:11:18 pm »

I think that was poetic license.

Although you can make a [N]ote of things or something, but it's not really the same. I sometimes use it to label my taverns and such, or if I've got a very specific stockpile. I always end up with at least one tavern called "The Bloody Marmot" for some reason. That name tickles me.

Back then, I don't think the [N]ote feature was implemented yet. Fun with succession forts and levers!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5447 on: August 30, 2010, 07:09:26 pm »

Although you can make a [N]ote of things or something, but it's not really the same. I sometimes use it to label my taverns and such, or if I've got a very specific stockpile. I always end up with at least one tavern called "The Bloody Marmot" for some reason. That name tickles me.

Back then, I don't think the [N]ote feature was implemented yet. Fun with succession forts and levers!

I am ashamed to admit that I was not a dwarf back in those days, however I felt that should be pointed out since the person who brought it up wanted to know how to do it.

In other news, a seven year fortress just fell to a combination of flooding, fps death, tantrums, goblins, and forgotten beasts. I'm not sure if I want to try and wait for the next version to come out yet though. Seems like it's getting close. Hmm.... decisions, decisions.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5448 on: August 30, 2010, 07:29:53 pm »

I am ashamed to admit that I was not a dwarf back in those days, however I felt that should be pointed out since the person who brought it up wanted to know how to do it.

Oh, definitely. I was mostly just trying to convey my enthusiasm over the [N]otes feature. In my forts it has saved so many dwarven lives from player carelessnes. As well as the ability to Name taverns, of course. ;)

In other news, a seven year fortress just fell to a combination of flooding, fps death, tantrums, goblins, and forgotten beasts. I'm not sure if I want to try and wait for the next version to come out yet though. Seems like it's getting close. Hmm.... decisions, decisions.

You should just create a fort named "The Bloody Marmot". Devote it to Alcohol production, and fancy foodstuffs, like Dragon Tartare. Turn all stone to mugs. That sounds like a good short-lived challenge fort, eh?

In my fort, there is no Bloody Marmot, yet. I really like the name, however. It has a certain panache. Right now there's barely a drinking hall! Too busy convincing dwarves  to go sneaking along the partially completed outside walls to stealth-build wall-segments (suspend-resume-suspend-resume) without getting scared off by the siegers outside. (yay pathing restrictions!)

Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5449 on: August 30, 2010, 07:45:45 pm »

You should just create a fort named "The Bloody Marmot". Devote it to Alcohol production, and fancy foodstuffs, like Dragon Tartare. Turn all stone to mugs. That sounds like a good short-lived challenge fort, eh?

In my fort, there is no Bloody Marmot, yet. I really like the name, however. It has a certain panache. Right now there's barely a drinking hall! Too busy convincing dwarves  to go sneaking along the partially completed outside walls to stealth-build wall-segments (suspend-resume-suspend-resume) without getting scared off by the siegers outside. (yay pathing restrictions!)

Hmm..  maybe I'll do that.

I like the name too, obviously. I came up with it after a hoary marmot stumbled into my as-of-then unwalled fortress, and got killed by an off-duty military dwarf that had just finished drinking. bastard got hit once, ran around like crazy, scaring dwarves outside and bleeding all over the place. damn near the whole first floor and part of the cellar were bloodsoaked before he finally got a bad case of death.

One of my own neuroses is I can't have just a dining hall, I have to build a tavern with rooms upstairs, a under/ground floor with tables and chairs (arranged as per my whim, sometimes in rows, sometimes in squares, sometimes in dodecagons, etc.), and a cellar with food and drink storage. Usually there's a kitchen in the back, and sometimes a butcher shop, though not often. After the marmot incident I started naming them, though "The Bloody Marmot" kind of stuck.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5450 on: August 30, 2010, 07:50:08 pm »

Another setback for the FOX Head Magma pump stack(s.) I built the Magma Stack backwards.  :P
Had to reverse both the stacks. Fortunately, that wasn't even half the masonry built around the things so it didn't eat too much time. The FOX Head itself is proving perplexing to plan. Not sure how to move forward with the rest of the head, let alone the ears...

The Fox population remains stagnate. I am unwilling to kill any of them as I already have far too much mean and skins from the constant kitten killing. It would be a shame to waste the Foxes.

Finally, while I continue work on the pump, a child became possessed with the idea of creating a plain cow bone shield. What he lacked in skill, design, or any sort of detail, he more than made up with what could be my favorite name for an item ever: The Boredom of Conflagration! So perfectly appropriate for the Dwarves!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5451 on: August 30, 2010, 07:50:56 pm »

I usually try for more of a "Fine Dining Establishment", High quality tables, statues everywhere, a fountain... The raw ingredients are imported to the storage near the kitchen in back, butchered elsewhere, and a there's always a huge stockpile of booze in the "wine cellar". Other times I'll let it be a buffet, with stockpiles of all the food along the walls.

I'm with you on the "Tables and chairs arranged according to my whim", but I hadn't thought of making it a tavern, with the rooms upstairs. I like it.
[/quote]

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5452 on: August 30, 2010, 07:57:25 pm »

It's mostly for show, but the food preparers tend to use them from time to time, so sometimes I just assign them to them. I usually have more than one tavern, the first one starting out as the housing and all that for the starting seven, if I can get it up before more migrants arrive. Then I make more as the population demands and materials are harvested and they progressively get larger and fancier. Plus it lets me create a "Tavern street" or a "red light district", which I find amusing. I also usually have a much larger dining hall underground for the unwashed masses along with small booze/food stockpiles with a couple tables and chairs and sometimes beds placed strategically to prevent workmen from traveling halfway across the map to get a drink, only to get back to work and be thirsty again.

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5453 on: August 30, 2010, 08:00:20 pm »

I built a pure gold well in the caves where bad things spawn. I'm in a freezing biome, we have no water anywhere else. Behind the sacred well is a pure gold door and a few silver statues, and behind the door is a small island I built to starve my migrants to death. Titans just loooooooooove to break down my door and crush my statues. I've had 3 of them and they all entered my fortress trough my migrant island, always breaking the door on the way.

One of my current titans is made of lava and won't get out of my lake. He's turning it all to steam, lowering the water level dramatically  :(

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5454 on: August 30, 2010, 08:40:03 pm »

Dammit, now I'm stuck on the idea of upgrading my booze stockpiles to places you'd actually like to drink in. Or at least, places dwarves would actually like to drink in. Too bad I have another project to work on first...

Beardless cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: taken by strange mood.
Beardless has been possessed!

Beardless has claimed a Modder's Workstation!
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5455 on: August 30, 2010, 08:40:21 pm »

Townbrush is still in danger of falling apart, but the mood problem has been resolved. None of the Dwarves are unahappy now, the artifact dinning tables and beds apparently pushing out the painful memories of Darnen decapitating their friends. However there is still a shortage of workers in every profession. I had to draft my last mason has a solider since he's to only one with any developed fighting skills. Hopefully the swimming chamber will be completed before he inevitably falls into the ocean.

More zombie whales have come, and they are swimming straight towards the fortress. Apparently the failure of their friends hasn't deterred them. And because we lack masons, the wall around the dormitory was never completed. Not sure how I'm going to resolve this problem. I'm also worried about the goblins launching a siege or ambush (or worst, the Darnen), since the Elven caravan will arrive soon. I just need to keep this fortress going until the next wave of migrants show up. Then I can get some real work done.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5456 on: August 30, 2010, 08:44:01 pm »

Dammit, now I'm stuck on the idea of upgrading my booze stockpiles to places you'd actually like to drink in. Or at least, places dwarves would actually like to drink in.

My work here is done, I think. For now.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5457 on: August 30, 2010, 09:42:31 pm »

Argh. These damn Zombie whales are interrupting work again. I orderer my new Captain of the Guard to kill them, but he's to busy throwing people into jail to pick up his crossbow.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5458 on: August 30, 2010, 11:34:40 pm »

Argh. These damn Zombie whales are interrupting work again. I orderer my new Captain of the Guard to kill them, but he's to busy throwing people into jail to pick up his crossbow.

Whether your fortress survives or not, I'd like to applaud your dedication and devotion to it. You've been braving some rough times where other dwarves would have simply abandoned. You've earned your beard sir.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5459 on: August 31, 2010, 12:01:42 am »

I've been abandoning forts left and right due to the mighty FPS monster.

So.... I got bored, a decided to gen a world with 100 volcanoes.

I know at least 2 are in the Arctic area.

TIME FOR SOME FUN.

And thus started Beervessel.

Edit: And thus Beervessel quickly ended. Magma and ice generates a LOT of fun.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:20:08 am by TherosPherae »
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 3842