Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129820 times)

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5400 on: August 29, 2010, 02:06:45 am »

I started up my new fortress next to a lake and a river. Great location, beautiful scenery, lots of fish, good natural defense. Only problem? Dwarves are built like freakin rocks. I've lost 4 to the river/lake so far and it's only been 1 year. There was almost a fifth death when the leader decided to hold a meeting on the iced over lake. Well of course the lake thawed and both him and the liaison sunk to the bottom. I thought he was a goner but he hopped out and seems to be ok if a little damp for the experience. Now I'm nervous as hell about having this much water on my map. Other than that things have been going very well in this fort.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5401 on: August 29, 2010, 05:38:58 am »

Sieges! Everywhere! I have 5 civs besieging my poor fort (Genesis Mod)! At Once!*
A year on, their Alligator Mounts started having BABIES! As are the elephants, and horses**. Half of the villains are archers, I have a moat, but the wall wasn't completed before this happened, so interrupt-spam is nonstop on the surface. Buzzards and vultures circle overhead, knowing that the surface is lost to us.

*(well, some cycle in/out, but there's been 5 at once)
**The war Jaguars don't breed, due to their wartraining.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5402 on: August 29, 2010, 07:28:52 am »

Sieges! Everywhere! I have 5 civs besieging my poor fort (Genesis Mod)! At Once!*
A year on, their Alligator Mounts started having BABIES! As are the elephants, and horses**. Half of the villains are archers, I have a moat, but the wall wasn't completed before this happened, so interrupt-spam is nonstop on the surface. Buzzards and vultures circle overhead, knowing that the surface is lost to us.

Deal with them like a dwarf. Tunnel and cave-in the entire earth from underneath them.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: August 29, 2010, 09:39:14 am »

Deal with them like a dwarf. Tunnel and cave-in the entire earth from underneath them.
Better yet, fill the tunnels with magma before you remove supports/sacrifice dorfs.

Hertzyscowicz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: August 29, 2010, 10:26:07 am »

I just had a visiting human caravan arrive with a bone doctor in tow. The doc dropped by to compliment me on my fortress and was on his way.

Then I had a major goblin ambush, and before my military got their act together, the goblins were at the gates, and the gallant caravan guards (all three of them) charged this vile threat to all that is good and routed most of them. Then, my military got it's act together and charged forth to beat the snot out of the stragglers with their shields.

EDIT: Wait, didn't Toady already fix the nonlethal blunt weapons thing? Because there's one remaining goblin thief, and he's getting it pretty bad, but still alive.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 10:34:13 am by Hertzyscowicz »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5405 on: August 29, 2010, 11:54:11 am »

A real blunt weapon can break bones and cause artery to open killing the victims.  Shields aren't real weapon.  While they can break something now and then I imagine they aren't strong enough to do it reliably, which is what killing something with blunts rely on. 

I'm sure it will die eventually...

EDIT: Wow how can I make such a weird post...I wasn't even drunk.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 03:12:59 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: August 29, 2010, 12:35:13 pm »

Just killed a Bronze collossus, my macedwarf kept glancing aways, but my Best exedwarf came abd after 62 pages of denting , he just cut his head off. He then named his axe Erordir, the Infinite Incineration. I'm proud of the little guy

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5407 on: August 29, 2010, 12:53:00 pm »

A very odd thing happened today in Spikeiron.

Years ago, while I was completing the curtain bridge wall sealing off the map edge, a few gazelles managed to wander inside the protected area.  One hit a cage trap.  I put it in the animal stockpile and forgot about it - I wasn't interested in micromanaging meat production at the moment, and a single fisherdwarf working the ocean was providing all the food my dwarves needed.

Years passed while the dwarves smelt iron and steel and mass-produced steel spikes for the defense array.  Then I saw a message, Urist McCook cancels Render fat:  Needs unrotten glob.  Further investigation reveals the raw meat stockpile was full of gazelle parts and the animal stockpile was empty.

It appears that the gazelle died of old age in its cage and was then automatically butchered.  I didn't even know that was possible.  I would wonder that it somehow escaped or was let free, but there are no combat reports of anyone fighting it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: August 29, 2010, 01:17:24 pm »

Well, I decided to have some fun with elephants and I  modded them to be embarkable pets which also catch vermin (no more fear of mice ;) )  Well, apparently cats "I adopt you" mentality is associated with the vermin catcher tag.  Or my dwarf who likes elephants for their strength can just adopt animals without me okaying it.  Now my elephants which are a power of ten larger than normal and have ten tusks are preventing me from setting up an early animal defense force because my farmer decides he needs four pet elephants. >_>
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5409 on: August 29, 2010, 01:24:31 pm »

I lost another militia commander. Another Forgotten Beast showed up (I think this is the 16th one, but I've lost count). I sent the remenants of the military to fight it. The militia commander attacked it by himself, resulting in horrible injuries. The beast broke most of his organs, tore of several limbs, and tossed him around before he finally bled to death. Fortunately the rest of the military killed it with only minor injuries to one dwarf sustained. This is the fifth time I've had to replace the militia commander.

Also the entire fortress is in a panic because of a zombie whale. The whale isn't actually attacking them, its just hanging out bellow the fortress attacking the flesh ball ocean explorer. Because everyone in the fortress is a moron, they see this as a reason to run around screaming rather than get work done.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5410 on: August 29, 2010, 01:36:16 pm »

Military training continues in Controlledfountain, as does the smithing of armor for the military to use.

Oh yeah, I had an ocean titan show up and show me a chink in my fortress wall. The stupid massive-tick thing only managed to minorly injure a couple of dogs before my 3-Swordmaster squad destroyed it. It is now being butchered in my *CLT* butcher shop, and probably will be for the next decade or so.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: August 29, 2010, 02:10:35 pm »

Just finished making a mini-fort to protect my fisher dwarfs from nasties, the only way to get to it is via my main fortress, so if I get besieged it can do some damage to any Goblins who come near it, and they can't get in unless they over run my fortress.

It has it's own well, food store, ammo store, weapon store, and even armour store, with a mess hall & bed rooms assigned to the garrison, so they never have to leave (Infact they can't because I've locked the door, & will only unlock it for a food resupply! though I might if this carries on get a farmer in with them & a small farm to keep them there forever!)

Bottom Level:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Middle Floor:
Top Floor:
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5412 on: August 29, 2010, 02:48:24 pm »

I really advise you to wall around that pond and put a big roof over the whole thing. If you get attacked by fliers, your fisherdwarves will be in a bit of a tough spot.

Oh! Also, titans can sometimes fly and breath water, so if one of those shows up you're screwed.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5413 on: August 29, 2010, 03:00:50 pm »

Well, the veins of hematite and limonite and coal I was following have officially run dry, and I'm worried that I might not be able to find more to restart up my steel industry. Also, my former militia commander started throwing tantrums after she murdered her husband and child for some reason, and now I'm wondering if I can get rid of her before her jail sentence lets up. If possible, I'd like to avoid the unhappy thoughts involved with just sending in my military to kill her while she's chained up. It would be even better if I could get her to calm down, but I don't think that's possible at this point because she holed herself up in her bedroom and attacked anybody who tried to come in to bury the bodies, and she only calmed down when they started rotting. Now, she won't stop throwing tantrums repeatedly. So I'm guessing she has PTSD from being in the military for a couple months. Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out how to manage my food stockpiles so that the dwarves will actually get the damn food off the fields. I think my problem might be related to me using more fields than my fort needs.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: August 29, 2010, 05:08:15 pm »

Started the fort with a "very rarely sick, very agile, quite quick to heal and tough" dwarf who is now the leader of my military and kitted up from head to toe in fort-made steel armor, most of it superior quality.

Unfortunately, she won't pick her mace back up.  I've figured out why she dropped it--apparently the game forbids weapons as combat drops if they become lodged in an enemy--and even though it's unforbidden and chilling in a stockpile now, she won't pick it back up.  Argh.  Tried removing the weapom from the uniform and re-adding it, activating her squad and stationing them by the stockpile, but no dice.  >_<

Maybe she'll pick it up once I get the barracks up.  Sigh.

ETA:  Nope.  But re-assigning the uniform (m-e-U) works.  HAH!  TAKE THAT, OBSCURE AND OBTUSE MILITARY SYSTEM!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:17:57 pm by melomel »
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 3842