Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129860 times)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5385 on: August 28, 2010, 01:13:36 pm »

Well, I just started a new fort, and I kind of cheated by having the starting points set up to 10000. But I don't have to worry about kobolds and vultures for now because I started off with 60 wardogs. 30 males, and 30 females. I'm kind of worried about all the puppies screwing up my FPS later on. The entire area around my wagon is smeared with vulture blood and there's like 2 dozen vulture corpses lying around. I just wish I could figure out how to get them to deal with the herd of hippos and the crocodile. If only I could have started off with giant eagles.

I'm pretty sure the won't be any puppies until some of your adult dogs die off, the population limit for each species of pet is ostensibly 50.

no more pregnancies will happen for that species until their population drops below that.

Actually, Fall just rolled in, and I have a ton of females giving birth to litters of puppies.
Won't be the last time I'm wrong about something.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5386 on: August 28, 2010, 01:18:26 pm »

Cage the puppies. Just shove them all into a cage.

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: August 28, 2010, 01:49:03 pm »

Yet another vile force of darkness has arrived. Apparently there was a flaw in my defenses. About 20 goblins with crossbows climbed on my roof and began shooting everyone who stepped outside, which was about half my dwarves. So I'm down to 46 dwarves, half of which are bleeding to death outside my front door, and the other half are getting pissed. I fear this may be the end of Strongpaint.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: August 28, 2010, 02:37:57 pm »

My first fort where I worked out how to get the military to kill things got screwe over by some glitch which meant I couldn't mine, cut trees and all my stone was considered economic for some reason.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: August 28, 2010, 04:53:31 pm »

Sending Hammer Lords to kill Creeping eyes was pretty much the ultimate stalemate.

The hammer Lords crippled all of them easily, but couldn't get any kills. The Creeping eyes couldn't touch them.

Was really boring until the Axe Lords got there.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: August 28, 2010, 04:57:24 pm »

Cage the puppies. Just shove them all into a cage.

When my fortress has a pet problem, I just shove the baby animals into the magma pit. Reduces clutter on my already bloated units screen in addition to solving the pet problem.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: August 28, 2010, 08:47:14 pm »

There's something a little bit heartbreaking about a jaunty little puppy valiantly baiting 25 goblins into a minefield - run, brave puppy!  Good boy!  Awwww they splashed you.  Well there will be shoes waiting for you to chew up in puppy heaven!

Here's some easy to please nobles: the Baroness says no exporting of maces, and the mayor wants two quivers.  I hear and obey!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 09:02:31 pm by FleshForge »

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: August 28, 2010, 10:01:15 pm »

I just made an altar of sacrifice to Armok.It has steel spikes, some fortifications around it,2 holes that lead into a volcano (so the blood goes into the magma) and a fully engraved volcano (only one level of it is engraved)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: August 29, 2010, 12:11:45 am »

Well, I'm pretty mad right now. Another Forgotten Beast appeared in the caverns. Nothing surprising or dangerous about that. I send my military to go kill it. It manages to strike down a fisher dwarf before they arrived, but that's not to surprising. However when they began fighting I noticed a problem. This creature would let out huge bursts of frozen extract, and when it did this everything (inculding itself) would be knocked around the cavern. I don;t mean a few feet either. They could be flung several yards by this blast. Since I spend spare tiem modding creatures, I quickly realized the Forgotten Beast had an [UNDIRECTED_DUST] attack. I'm shocked Toady actually put this in the game since it's so buggy. The physics involving dust is screwy, so for some reason it blows back everything it touches.

The fight quickly went south. The military commander charged at the beast. He was knocked back. He charged at it again, only to be knocked back once more. Only this time he was blown over a cliff and fell several z level, dying instantly upon impact. The beast had killed my favorite warrior without even touching him. My hammerlord was in the same blast, but he was crippled rather than killed. So this beast took out my two best warriors in addition to the last soldier of the second militia squad. All because it used a buggy physics attack the harmed itself. The rest of the military managed to slay it because it had also been seriously wounded by its own stupid dust.

EDIT: Ugh. Both my new milita commander and the hammer lord died from their injuries. These Dwarves have been training for years, and all of 3 of them were wielders of artifact weapons. That's a serious blow to my military's strength.

I don't know who I'm going to replace the captain with. Probably who ever manged to slay the beast. Aside from this, Townbrush is actually doing okay. The outpost liason (who somehow survived a goblin ambush and a repeating spike trap by himself) promoted us to a barony. He was bleeding heavily and missing a finger though, so I imagine it was an awkward meeting. Normally I make myself the baron, but I died so I made my former wife the baroness instead. She is the only one of the original seven that is still alive as well, so it is fitting. So far she has been easily pleased and all her mandates have been tolerable. Hopefully she won't have an unfortunate accident like the former mayor did.

Also continuing in the trend of pathetic replacements, the Captain of the Guard was torn apart by a horde of zombie lesser kraken. I'll have to wait for migrants to replace him, so nobody has any relevant skills whatsoever.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:20:57 am by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: August 29, 2010, 12:22:34 am »

eeeheheheheheheahahahahahahahaha!

The first pump stack was completed and tested! (with a couple buckets of water.)

However, this pump stack only moves from an elevated reservoir to the mouth leading outside. The second pump stack will lead from the volcano magma to the reservoir. Why 2 stacks? Because I want a third stack for pumping water from the nearby brook! Both magma stack and water stack will empty into the reservoir where it can be pumped by the main stack to outside. Plus, I like over-complicating things. That's why each stack is composed of layers of two side-by-side pumps!  Better yet, the Magma stack has to be split into 2 sections to fit around the reservoir due to aesthetic concerns, so it is infact 2 separate stacks for a total of 3 pump stacks with at least 1 more planned!

Why? Because if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing!  :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:25:07 am by DrGravitas »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: August 29, 2010, 12:31:57 am »

Why? Because if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing!  :D

Verily, this man understands the dwarven spirit.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: August 29, 2010, 12:36:56 am »

Just started my military. 3 raw recruits in full steel plate mail. I just wish that they would pick up the damn training axes rather than the steel ones like they should be according to their uniforms...

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: August 29, 2010, 01:28:34 am »

Actually, you're better off giving them their normal weapons - sparring is harmless now.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: August 29, 2010, 01:45:16 am »

Is that true? I can set my dwarves to spar with their normal weapons and not have to worry about them all dying horribly?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: August 29, 2010, 01:58:30 am »

Is that true? I can set my dwarves to spar with their normal weapons and not have to worry about them all dying horribly?

My military has been sparring for years with steel battle axes. I haven't add a single injury come up as a result (excluding the idiots dodging into the ocean when the barracks was above ground). Though all this training hasn't done a damn thing to improve their intelligence. Two of my soldiers (one beign an axelord) dived into the ocean to fight lesser krakens, forgetting that they don't know how to swim. They died shortly after the battle. I really need to find a way to train them in swimming.

Also one of my cooks was hit by a fey mood. I haven't received  a good artifact in years though, so I'm not expecting much. Though odds are he will use adamantine in it just like the past few moods have so it will be valuable anyways.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 3842