Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129873 times)

wisemanofhyrule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5370 on: August 27, 2010, 09:51:54 pm »

Hey, I'm new to Dwarf Fortress. I learned from the play-along guide(gotta love that). Im currently using the DF2010 mayday tileset. Just started my first embark. I just have a couple of questions, What is HFS? What are some key minerals to look for?

Thanks,
Wisemanofhyrule

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5371 on: August 27, 2010, 09:56:29 pm »

Hey, I'm new to Dwarf Fortress. I learned from the play-along guide(gotta love that). Im currently using the DF2010 mayday tileset. Just started my first embark. I just have a couple of questions, What is HFS? What are some key minerals to look for?

Thanks,
Wisemanofhyrule
EVERYWHERE
not kidding.

doomdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: August 27, 2010, 10:09:17 pm »

Wisemanofhyrule, I'm probably about as experienced as you are right now, but I might as well try to help. HFS = Hidden Fun Stuff, which is:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You probably want to dig iron ores right now, along with coal. As to the topic of this thread, my fort is currently trying to get some magma smelters/forges/glass furnaces going, I forgot about diagonals while pumping magma (killing only a peasant, but blocking access to the pump), and my marksdwarf military refuses to train. Unless I get a building destroyer, trap-immune megabeast, I'll be safe for a while, though. Also, does anyone know how to remove a section of a staircase without walling off the whole thing?

wisemanofhyrule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: August 27, 2010, 10:14:05 pm »

Thanks Doom, more updates later(I need more than one miner :( takes too long[she seems to refuse to dig])

Edit:Facepalm-I told the miner to dig in an unaccessible place(forgot to connect the rooms)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:26:59 pm by wisemanofhyrule »

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: August 27, 2010, 10:25:59 pm »

Thanks Doom, more updates later(I need more than one miner :( takes too long[she seems to refuse to dig])

Make sure she still have her pick, or that she can reach what you designated.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5375 on: August 27, 2010, 10:39:59 pm »

Sealances Tower
Warning: Large images w/spoilers

Spoiler: Ground Floor (click to show/hide)

Sealances Tower ground floor. This is the trade entrance and back road. North is to the upper left in this image.

From mostly left to right:

The wooden building to the left is an inn for humans. Well, more like a dwarven interpretation of a human inn. There's quite a few things done differently. The floor is stone. The entrance is 5 gold blocks and an engraved claystone tile. :) The black obsidian tiles to the right is room for a trade depot to be built there, if the one in the fort becomes unavailable. Clear Glass doors should be shown but for some reason are invisible.

The black building to the right of it is the dwarven bunker. Like a no-frills inn for dwarfs. Connects to the main fort by a bridge. The small room that is connected is a food and storage area. It has another reason too. Hard to tell but there is a set of ramps that lead to the next floor up. Both this and the human inn have, or will have, 'bunker' sections that can be secured.

The walled-off valley is the refuse area.

And on the right is the main fort's first above-ground floor. The metallic floor tiles are electrum, while the ramps are rose gold. The grassy areas to the right and left of the ramp are gardens and above-ground farms, while the muddy sand areas to the right and left are simulated caverns made from muddied sand on which underground plant life has been allowed to grow. Behind the ramp is the ground-floor meeting area. What looks like holes in the floors are ramps down. Originally the walls of the meeting area were red sand but that was removed and replaced with obsidian blocks. Behind that is a hospital, and to the left are smoke-exhausting workshops and workshops that would need ventilation, and to the right, mostly off-screen, is an indoor refuse pit.

Spoiler: Another ground floor? (click to show/hide)

Sealances Tower second ground floor.

This is the... er, second ground floor.

In the inn, the thing that looks like a fridge is a platinum support block. Here you can see clear glass windows and, ugh, wooden furniture. There's also more rather nice inn rooms.

The dwarven bunker reveals a few secrets here. First is the overpass which leads to a second well. The second is that the walls on the first level allow the outer drawbridge to be blocked off, sealing the structure from within. Stone block stockpiles provide the resources necessary close by. The inner drawbridge, the one leading to the fort, can also be sealed.

In the background you can see stone chimneys for the rooms which need ventilation. (I know the game doesn't track that for workshops yet.)

In the main fort is the trade depot. The whole structure hovers slightly, held up by the ramps. Behind the trade depot you can see the main gate, always closed, and a mini-moat.

Spoiler: Second floor (click to show/hide)

Sealances Tower second floor

Skipping a floor here.

This shot shows the whole inn. The white roof panels are clear glass. :D

You can also see how the offices in the tower look. Each floor is for a different mini-noble. 8 floors like this have been completed, plus 2 dining room floors. Construction of floors 10 and up are on hold, awaiting other nobility. Not shown in the offices are the customized booze stockpiles for each dwarf. All together they get an office, a dining room, and a statue room/lobby. For floors above the dining hall I'll do 1 floor per room type for whatever ubernoble comes my way.

However, our fortress mascot seems to have some sort of population plateau. Not a single pup in a little over a year. Every one of them has grown to adulthood. Is there some sort of maximum?

There is a max population for each tamed animal, I forget where it's set though.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

wisemanofhyrule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5376 on: August 27, 2010, 10:51:59 pm »

It seems that Dwarf Therapist and dwarf visualizer do not seem to work with most recent mayday tile set(does not recognize Df, not even vanilla df 2010_, anyone know a solution to this?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 12:26:47 am by wisemanofhyrule »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5377 on: August 28, 2010, 02:26:04 am »

1053 saw the arrival of goblins in thier first real siege. this conincided with the human law giver and legendary hammerman showing up, so i suspect treachery - anyway, to prevent them getting a bit pissed at me i protected him as he ran through the carnage later on without as much as making any effort to help. 12 of them rocked up - 10 hammergobs, 2 speargobs, one mounted on a giant rat, which turned into a pincushin for wodd and bone bolts. my marksdwarves spotted them while on duty in thier firing tower, yet as they spammed all my copper and sliver bolts away on firing practice (despite only having wood and bone set for traning... grr) they could do little to the main body of the enemy force. so sod it said i, and rushed them with my moderatley skilled 30 melee dwarves with about 50 assorted war animals, in copper armor plus a few traded bits with whatever melee weapons they want. it was carnage. 2 of mine dead, goblin guts everywhere. 2 cougars,  2 dogs, and 2 dogs mercy killed as thier guts hang out. the healthcare system went into full swing to deal with the wounded, and its sweet, even if plaster powder seemed to be forgotten by my docs, and that patiens appeared to walk off before being fully treated - with luck they will die and natural selection will have occured. one of the dead was a squad comander, which is annoying as his war cheetas and war dogs now hang around where he ws killed as i can not reassign them. members of his squad keep returning to the spot as if it was a meeting area - spooky. assigning half of them was acually quite a pain - seems interesting animals i have traded from the elves do not apear in my animls z-list... i presume this this is eiather a) they lack the pet tag or b)as i traded for them instead of catching and taming them myslef... seeing as i lack a dungeon master i cant check this just yet. anyway, as the carnage was being cleaned up i breached cavern 1, which seemed devoid of life so far. plenty of fungi, underground bushes, ore, gems etc and a nice big lake though. currently upgrading to bronze armor and recycling the copper to more bolts.

TLDR: some stuff happened. dwarves are dumb when choosing bolts. eleven animals are annoying to work with. cavern 1 is boring.
This is a blank sig.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: August 28, 2010, 09:06:18 am »

atm, NOTHING is going on in my fortress. Everyone is depressingly happy. There's no goblin Civs. The zombies that inhabit the nearby chasm aren't coming above ground (I'm attempting to flood them out though).

Only thing that's happened so far is that some zombie mountain goats tried to eat one of my champions, who slaughtered 12 of them... oh and I starved some migrants to death because I didn't have the room or food for them :)
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5379 on: August 28, 2010, 12:06:42 pm »

Well, I just started a new fort, and I kind of cheated by having the starting points set up to 10000. But I don't have to worry about kobolds and vultures for now because I started off with 60 wardogs. 30 males, and 30 females. I'm kind of worried about all the puppies screwing up my FPS later on. The entire area around my wagon is smeared with vulture blood and there's like 2 dozen vulture corpses lying around. I just wish I could figure out how to get them to deal with the herd of hippos and the crocodile. If only I could have started off with giant eagles.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5380 on: August 28, 2010, 12:13:47 pm »

Built a small keep out of ice to guard my trade entrance. need to produce some traps, but after that it should be good.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5381 on: August 28, 2010, 12:22:11 pm »

I was in the middle of a siege, with my drawbridge raised and 42 goblins sitting outside. I had no real military, but I had to get rid of them somehow. I pull the lever twice to lower and raise my drawbridge quickly, hoping to lure the goblins into my traps. It works, but after it closes again, I notice that one of my miners (who happens to be carrying her baby) chose this moment to run outside for some stupid reason. I tell her to fight the goblins until I can open the bridge again. She kills a few with her pick, but sadly her baby was struck down by a goblin maceman. The mother then enters a martial trance, and cuts the murderer into pieces with her pick.

I manage to get her back inside, but about ten goblins make it past my traps. Luckily, the human caravan was inside my walls, and their archers killed any goblins that made it in. At this point the remaining goblins retreat.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: August 28, 2010, 12:29:47 pm »

Well, I just started a new fort, and I kind of cheated by having the starting points set up to 10000. But I don't have to worry about kobolds and vultures for now because I started off with 60 wardogs. 30 males, and 30 females. I'm kind of worried about all the puppies screwing up my FPS later on. The entire area around my wagon is smeared with vulture blood and there's like 2 dozen vulture corpses lying around. I just wish I could figure out how to get them to deal with the herd of hippos and the crocodile. If only I could have started off with giant eagles.

I'm pretty sure the won't be any puppies until some of your adult dogs die off, the population limit for each species of pet is ostensibly 50.

no more pregnancies will happen for that species until their population drops below that.

MechaGodzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5383 on: August 28, 2010, 01:00:30 pm »

Currently on level 9 of my glass tower fortress, and a combo of FPS and general dwarf stupidity is slowing the glass block production to a crawl ><

Just as Im starting the jail/FB-storage and handling wing (complete with self-destruct/ jailbreak lever). Next on the list are the residential pillars.

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5384 on: August 28, 2010, 01:10:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure the won't be any puppies until some of your adult dogs die off, the population limit for each species of pet is ostensibly 50.

no more pregnancies will happen for that species until their population drops below that.

Actually, Fall just rolled in, and I have a ton of females giving birth to litters of puppies.
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 3842