Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129970 times)

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5355 on: August 27, 2010, 01:15:39 pm »

Spikestake has been abandoned due to my "dump-in-magma-to-sacrifice-to-Armok" platform crashing the game when I finally dropped it.

A pity, too, I wanted to watch that useless migrant and rhesus macaque squad die a broiling death. Or watch the dragon I threw in there too eat them all.

Oh well, time to gen a new world and embark on yet another volcano. Hopefully, this one will have a lake or something.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: August 27, 2010, 01:56:39 pm »

Burying 6 Urists that felt the need to warn the Ettin that attacked. The first one got ripped to pieces and the other 5 got beaten to death with a pair of trousers and a cloak.

Humorously, the first 10 serrated steel disc trap shredded him instantly into about 5 pieces.

Just think, they could have just sat back a few seconds and everything would have been fine. Oh well, migrants are free, right?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

ASCIIFish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: August 27, 2010, 02:12:35 pm »

The fortress "workedwasp" has fallen to a human siege. Supplies were running low so I had to make a move. I positioned my troops just beyond the caged entrance corridor and lowered the drawbridge. The humans leisurely strolled through all my traps, killed my troops effortlessly, and then killed everyone else. I really wasn't expecting them all to get past the cage traps. I thought at most 3 or 4 would only get through. I'll have to remember that for next time.

Human sieges are tricky. If their liaison previously has seen your traps, sieges will know they exist and happily bypass them. Apparently dismantling the trap and rebuilding it will reset this.

Speaking of human sieges, my 21 year old fortress 'Scarfences' is in lockdown due to a human siege. Since they know of my cage traps, i've resorted to locking them out while i build new traps.
Currently building two entrances, one that has 6 goblin shredders, and one for dumping the invaders in lava. Also making/gathering obsidian for a minor megaproject i got planned (gonna build a large ANDROID statue).

Speaking of Obsidian, i got so dissappointed when the steam lifted in my first cast, and i realized that obsidian is a dull grey color. I could have sworn it was supposed to be dark green....so i rawmodded it dark green :)
<*///><

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: August 27, 2010, 02:36:13 pm »

Speaking of Obsidian, i got so dissappointed when the steam lifted in my first cast, and i realized that obsidian is a dull grey color. I could have sworn it was supposed to be dark green....so i rawmodded it dark green :)

Huh.

Obsidian.

The only dark green mineral I know of is Olivine.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: August 27, 2010, 03:03:16 pm »

I'm currently building a gigantic tower that is going to stretch right out of the various cavern systems! Once I'm finished working on the foundation I'm going to hollow out the area around the tower and create a chasm to allow all of the underground creatures to come to the surface.

Ceaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: August 27, 2010, 03:10:45 pm »

A herd(?) of dralthas wandered into my top cavern last season, the next time I checked all but one had left.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: August 27, 2010, 04:20:12 pm »

Figured out what was wrong with my pump stack (thanks MechaGodzilla and Beeskee!) All I had to do was disassemble all the screw pumps and rebuild them (now with a hole below them) from the bottom up.

I had previously tried building them over a hole in the floor and failed. Turns out I needed another machine beneath it to register as a support (I guess?) before it would let me build over the hole. Furthermore, carving a hole in the floor after the pump was built didn't update the pump's information and allow it to work. So, in conclusion, the pumps in the pump stack must be built in a specific order.

Also noted earlier that windmills and gear assemblies must be built in a certain order to actually register as transferring power connections. Ugh, I'm going to have to be very careful in building the other pump stacks to ensure these machines don't start flooding the world with magma before I can setup the stop lever...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:15:24 pm by DrGravitas »

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: August 27, 2010, 06:58:41 pm »

Ffff there is an epidemic happening in my fortress. It travels via body fluids and seems to induce bleeding. The pets bleed out to death making my dwarves all emo, and is making an increasingly large number of my workforce bedridden. FFFfff

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: August 27, 2010, 07:08:14 pm »

Ffff there is an epidemic happening in my fortress. It travels via body fluids and seems to induce bleeding. The pets bleed out to death making my dwarves all emo, and is making an increasingly large number of my workforce bedridden. FFFfff

I didn't think epidemics were communicable, yet. Perhaps they merely pass FB blood-stains around?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: August 27, 2010, 07:11:34 pm »

I just hoarded off a goblin siege... By only having a lever pulled repeatedly(Okay one goblin was killed otherwise). It was  connected to a bridge over a moat. You do the math on how the goblins died.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: August 27, 2010, 07:23:03 pm »

Glad I could help. :) I've only done a few pump stacks, and always from the bottom up, so I never noticed the order requirement.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: August 27, 2010, 07:34:16 pm »

I didn't think epidemics were communicable, yet. Perhaps they merely pass FB blood-stains around?
My theory is that since it travels by blood, some war dogs caught it. They're more vulnerable to disease in general, it seems, so they began bleeding out. Their syndromed blood infected everything that passed over it barefoot or something. Since the syndrome-inducing FB was made entirely out of crystal glass and did not seem to have any blood of which to speak of, I don't think his blood is directly causing this.

MechaGodzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: August 27, 2010, 08:22:40 pm »

Figured out what was wrong with my pump stack (thanks MechaGodzilla and Beeskee!) All I had to do was disassemble all the screw pumps and rebuild them (now with a hole below them) from the bottom up.

I had previously tried building them over a hole in the floor and failed. Turns out I needed another machine beneath it to register as a support (I guess?) before it would let me build over the hole. Furthermore, carving a hole in the floor after the pump was built didn't update the pump's information and allow it to work. So, in conclusion, the pumps in the pump stack must be built in a specific order.

Also noted earlier that windmills and gear assemblies must be built in a certain order to actually register as transferring power connections. Ugh, I'm going to have to be very careful in building the other pump stacks to ensure these machines don't start flooding the world with magma before I can setup the stop lever...

Yup yup! Glad to help!
I build alot of them, as my forts tend to fail in one way or another before I get them just so.
Ya always gotta build from the bottom up, or at least designate them to be built from the bottom up. The way my dwarves end up building sometimes winds me up with a stack of ten resting on an incomplete one ><
Just be sure to take your time and let em build up to a certain point before adding new stuff! ^^
Shutoff levers are always nice to have handy too

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: August 27, 2010, 09:44:55 pm »

Pump stacks are moving along quite nicely now. The FOX Head is proceeding, albeit slowly.

However, our fortress mascot seems to have some sort of population plateau. Not a single pup in a little over a year. Every one of them has grown to adulthood. Is there some sort of maximum? There's a population tag in the raw files, but it's 10:20 and I think it applies to the wildlife appearance on the map. There must be some way to spur further populations...

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: August 27, 2010, 09:50:42 pm »

Butcher them. Make full fox bone armor. Perform rituals. Or you could try caging some, and seeing if the remaining population makes more foxlings.
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 3842