Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6130194 times)

MechaGodzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5295 on: August 25, 2010, 10:40:47 pm »

Think about it: how well do you think an aluminum sword would work?

Logic??
In my Dwarf Fortress!?

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: August 25, 2010, 10:54:55 pm »

Although I'm not absolutely certain how specific variable affect certain weapon qualities (the wiki needs work regarding material science), I believe that aluminum is worse than silver as a material for an edged weapon.

And that's pretty bad.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5297 on: August 25, 2010, 11:00:33 pm »

Well I just learned an important lesson; never attack your own civilizations merchants. Because if you do, every Dwarf in your Fortress will start killing each other and lead to a mass death. I can;t figure out what the hell is going on. All I know is that my Dwarves are killing each other. I can't tell who is allied with who, if there even are allies. I'm not sure who I should be trying to save. Everyone is dying. The population has plummeted from 55 to 27, and it will surely continue to drop. My axelord, once the glorious champion of the Fortress, has been slaying innocent civilians, children, and even his fellow soldiers. Most of the Dwarves are either ecstatic or miserable. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!

I'm going to continue watching the train wreck and see what happens. Maybe the carnage will stop eventually. I'm debating whether to save scum, try and piece the fortress back together, or just give up on Townbrush completely.
Battle Royale
what happened there is that you made your civ hostile to itself. which basically means it's a free for all.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: August 25, 2010, 11:04:15 pm »

Although I'm not absolutely certain how specific variable affect certain weapon qualities (the wiki needs work regarding material science), I believe that aluminum is worse than silver as a material for an edged weapon.

And that's pretty bad.
Actually, I believe a aluminum sword would be second to an adamantine, do to it being so light.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5299 on: August 25, 2010, 11:09:16 pm »

And that's pretty bad.
Actually, I believe a aluminum sword would be second to an adamantine, do to it being so light.
actually, all that does is make it one of the worst blunt weapons in the game.
compare to a baloon sword.

MechaGodzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: August 25, 2010, 11:09:50 pm »

But adamantine is said to be far harder than even steel. (adamantine stems from greek, i believe, for diamond or diamond-like)
Aluminum, on the other hand is very malleable and bends very easily.

And here I am bringing logic into DF myself xD

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5301 on: August 25, 2010, 11:16:37 pm »

yesh, but i wasn't pointing out addamantite's  weight as much as i was pointing out that aliminum is not a metal for weaponry, at all

MechaGodzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: August 25, 2010, 11:32:44 pm »

Oh ya ya. Wasnt arguing with ya!
Heh. was responding to fivex's post. It gave me the "There was a new post" message, but I just went on clicking.

Sorry for the mix-up
^^;

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5303 on: August 25, 2010, 11:36:09 pm »

Oh, it's okay with me.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: August 25, 2010, 11:38:39 pm »

Well I just learned an important lesson; never attack your own civilizations merchants. Because if you do, every Dwarf in your Fortress will start killing each other and lead to a mass death. I can;t figure out what the hell is going on. All I know is that my Dwarves are killing each other. I can't tell who is allied with who, if there even are allies. I'm not sure who I should be trying to save. Everyone is dying. The population has plummeted from 55 to 27, and it will surely continue to drop. My axelord, once the glorious champion of the Fortress, has been slaying innocent civilians, children, and even his fellow soldiers. Most of the Dwarves are either ecstatic or miserable. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!

I'm going to continue watching the train wreck and see what happens. Maybe the carnage will stop eventually. I'm debating whether to save scum, try and piece the fortress back together, or just give up on Townbrush completely.
Battle Royale
what happened there is that you made your civ hostile to itself. which basically means it's a free for all.

I see. I'll have to keep that in mind in the future. My game crashed though, so I reverted to a save prior to the mass death. My mayor celebrated his return to the living by mandating the construction of more aluminum goods  >:(
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5305 on: August 25, 2010, 11:42:53 pm »

huh... one of these days, their gonna start mandating the creation of adamantite warhammers...
oh the humanity...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: August 25, 2010, 11:59:14 pm »

My one noble was mandating the construction of goods that CAN'T be produced, you know, hfs special.

That's how I got that miner killed, couldn't produce the goods, couldn't come up with a way to kill that noble. He was the mayor at the time, so there really wasn't much I could have done but kill him, and piss everyone off, or let someone go to jail. The miner was in no danger of dieing at the time, that only became a possibility when I had to let him off the leash because he wasn't being given water.

I hate the nobles.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: August 26, 2010, 12:04:22 am »

huh... one of these days, their gonna start mandating the creation of adamantite warhammers...
oh the humanity...

He can go ahead and mandate adamantine anything. I have plenty of it. But there ain't a single aluminum ore to be found. And with only one digger still living, I'm not exactly in the best position to randomly dig around in search of it.

I could arrange an "accident" but this guy is pretty much friends with everyone in the fort. Still, if he jails my legendary metalsmith again I can't be held responsible for what I do to him.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5308 on: August 26, 2010, 12:05:13 am »

My one noble was mandating the construction of goods that CAN'T be produced, you know, hfs special.

That's how I got that miner killed, couldn't produce the goods, couldn't come up with a way to kill that noble. He was the mayor at the time, so there really wasn't much I could have done but kill him, and piss everyone off, or let someone go to jail. The miner was in no danger of dieing at the time, that only became a possibility when I had to let him off the leash because he wasn't being given water.

I hate the nobles.
problably a quote from the ones who considered watering him:"WHERES MAH BUCKIT" if that was your problem, then you have no water sources, otherwise not enough idlers.

P.S. lock the hammerer in a room, problem averted, just (d)ump items in through a hole in the ceiling. or make the hammerer somehow get an adamantite war hammer, seeing how everyone claims to have so much of it. just forbid his hammer in the stocks menu.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 12:10:08 am by iceball3 »

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: August 26, 2010, 12:07:08 am »

Calamity and Chaos! A pair of ambushes killed a couple fisherdwarves, then they proceeded to pick off dozens of dwarves that emerged to try and cart the corpses away. The ensuing debacle sent 3/4 of the entire population of 128 dwarves into mad rampages and screaming riots. The fort dropped to a population of around 80. Hate-filled masses pillaged their own encampment, killing fellow dwarves, destroying the stills, the trade depot, and tearing down the defensive cages.

I gave them a while to calm down, but they weren't having any of that. Fistfights, property destruction, and further deaths continued. So I left them to their fate, the loonatic fringe.
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 3842