Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6130196 times)

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5280 on: August 25, 2010, 05:24:17 pm »

Well, I was going well in building my above ground ice-fort. Then an ambush happened. Not a problem, the only dwarf outside was right next to the stairwell to the inside, well behind a 10-z deep layer of traps. Or so I thought. At this point, the dwarf in question gets scared by the sight of the goblin swordsman and, instead of hopping one tile to the left and disappearing down to safety, he runs out, across the roof, down the ramp and across the 10 tiles of traps. Before he's finished this delightful, Darwin award winning performance, six other dwarfs hear the alarm bells of the ambush ringing and decide that they too must find out what all the fuss is about, also running out into the ambush squads... Good golly.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: August 25, 2010, 05:25:30 pm »

Townbrush has once again fallen into chaos, though by this point I shouldn't be surprised. This time it's due to a Forgotten Beast. They seem to have replaced Ogres as Townbrush's number 1 enemy. A Forgotten Beast has spawned on the lowest level, and is currently chasing my a hauler and my legendary Engraver, who I really don't want to lose. However the Forgotten Beast has apparently snacked on to many Dwarves so he needs to stop chasing them every few steps and take a breather. This gives my military a chance of making it to his location before he can catch the fleeing Dwarves. Unfortunately escape is impossible for them, since they made the mistake of running towards the adamantine mines. Soon they will hit a dead end and meet a gruesome fate unless my military can save them.

The end of August is also rapidly approaching so I'm worried about keeping my military down in the caverns to long. On top of this all, I had to relieve my Captain of the Guard of his duties. Sensory nerve damaged he received from a Goblin lasher has rendered his hands useless, and he can no longer wield a crossbow or tame an animal. So it is with heavy heart that I stripped him of his rank and replaced him with some unskilled peasant who only got the job because he was the next best animal trainer. I can't bring myself to take away his room either, since I feel like he has earned it.

EDIT: The Engraver managed to outwit the Forgotten Beast and run past it. The hauler just ran further into the mines and hit the dead end, pretty much sealing his fate. Though he might survive still, since this is apparently the laziest FB ever. He barely puts any effort into the chase, which is why the Engraver was able to run around him. Hopefully his fighting skills are on par with his running.

EDIT 2: Crisis averted. Though there never really was one, since this Forgotten Beast was utterly pathetic. The hauler managed to flee from it without the aid of the military. The Beasts response was to chase hi for a few seconds, then lie down to rest. Only to be greeted with an iron war hammer bashing his skull open. I can't believe I was worried about this thing.

EDIT 3: I hate my Mayor so much. He keeps mandating aluminum items when there isn't any aluminum to be found.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:43:32 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: August 25, 2010, 06:15:36 pm »

I was attacked by Dugu the ocean titan. Three-eyed bee thing with a shell, flew in through my farm entrances. Casualties of a couple dogs, a stupid mechanic, and I'm pretty sure a hunter will die in the hospital.

In other news, I am killing any and all tame animals in my fort to conserve FPS, as well as giving my troops a chance at the killshot on the next titan that decides to show up.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: August 25, 2010, 06:28:09 pm »

Well the new Captain of the Guards glorious reign lasted all of 10 days. The fool lost his very first battle against a zombie ocean sunfish. He shot at it from afar, but then it crawled onto the fort and began to approach him. So he dodged straight into the ocean *sigh*. I thought I was done losing Dwarves to the great blue expanse. Well the sunfish followed him and then ripped off his head before he could even drown to death. I'm not even going to bother replacing him right now. Nobody else in the Fortress has any skill when it comes to animal training or archery, so I'm sure any replacement I got would just do worse. I really need some new migrants. We're down to 55 dwarves.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: August 25, 2010, 06:46:51 pm »

You know what, I think the fortifications I put in actually block the view of the waterfall, I don't see messages about it any more in anyone's thoughts report.  That kinda ruins that concept :/  Back to the drawing board!

edit: occurs to me that glass blocks probably fix this.

A dwarf is only made happy by waterfalls that splash down on him. Merely seeing water fall without feeling it would get a rise from them. This is why dwarves will frequently be ecstatic shortly before they drown to death in flooding forts.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: August 25, 2010, 07:00:18 pm »

"An ambush! Curse them!"

Cue 40some terrified civilians cowering in the dining hall and 9 unarmored soldiers against a force of 10 well-trained, well-armed goblin invaders. Did I mention most of the military has training weapons? Yeah, I'm screwed.

MechaGodzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: August 25, 2010, 07:03:12 pm »

Hunting a nice GCS in my first level caverns. I have plans for a trap for it, hopefully should work :D

If it works, then Ill have a silk farm in no time!!

EDIT::  DOH!! didnt think hed react that fast ><
One dog bit the dust, and Urist McMinerguy just got webbed and got caught in the trap that was SUPPOSED to catch the spider... ><
Time to re-think the system....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 07:16:57 pm by MechaGodzilla »

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: August 25, 2010, 07:30:38 pm »

62 Foxes and counting.

As for the lava-spewing foxface, the FOX Head Project is proceeding nicely, if a bit slowly. Barring a few touch-ups and fill-ins the entire lower jaw is complete. Theoretically, it should be able to host magma from this point on. However, certain safety measures aren't installed yet to allow for the streamlining of the production flow building on the aesthetics of the FOX Head. That is to say, it won't be ready 'til it looks like a Fox.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Due to the sheer number of migrants, mostly assigned to masonry, I'm stepping up the time tables for the first pump stack. The wall/floors (not the pumps themselves) will be completed in tandem with the continuing work on the FOX Head. The pump stack will be located over a special, small reservoir designed around cacheing liquids to even the flow of the primary workhorse pump stacks. Further, it creates a junction where I will be able to shift between the lava from the volcano and a planned reservoir of water based out of a brook. The water will be used for speeding up reset of the outside world and as an emergency device should the primary magma pump stack get out of control and shower the fortress with fiery death. This water system is tentatively planned and may not be implemented...

MechaGodzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: August 25, 2010, 07:48:12 pm »

Failed to catch the spider :<
He proceeded to kill one miner and then run off the edge of the map before I could do anything.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: August 25, 2010, 09:54:46 pm »

Well I just learned an important lesson; never attack your own civilizations merchants. Because if you do, every Dwarf in your Fortress will start killing each other and lead to a mass death. I can;t figure out what the hell is going on. All I know is that my Dwarves are killing each other. I can't tell who is allied with who, if there even are allies. I'm not sure who I should be trying to save. Everyone is dying. The population has plummeted from 55 to 27, and it will surely continue to drop. My axelord, once the glorious champion of the Fortress, has been slaying innocent civilians, children, and even his fellow soldiers. Most of the Dwarves are either ecstatic or miserable. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!

I'm going to continue watching the train wreck and see what happens. Maybe the carnage will stop eventually. I'm debating whether to save scum, try and piece the fortress back together, or just give up on Townbrush completely.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: August 25, 2010, 10:09:33 pm »

→ Savescum
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: August 25, 2010, 10:13:14 pm »

Had my smithy go fey on me and make an aluminum short sword. The thing is worth a ton. Could someone tell me how effective it would be in the hands of a soldier?

Oh, and my massive stockpile of massiveness is full again. MOAR BINS TO MAKE.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

MechaGodzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: August 25, 2010, 10:17:32 pm »

Had my smithy go fey on me and make an aluminum short sword. The thing is worth a ton. Could someone tell me how effective it would be in the hands of a soldier?

Oh, and my massive stockpile of massiveness is full again. MOAR BINS TO MAKE.

I dont think it'd work well at all. I think that its lacking damage data in the raws or something. (someone more knowledgable could prolly tell ya better)
Im pretty sure that you just got a shiny decoration and a Legendary Weaponsmith.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: August 25, 2010, 10:19:54 pm »

Think about it: how well do you think an aluminum sword would work?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: August 25, 2010, 10:32:25 pm »

Spoiler: Welcome to Townbrush (click to show/hide)
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 3842