Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6130272 times)

Dahenk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5265 on: August 25, 2010, 08:59:02 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh god no, the tails.. they're so straight!! All of them!

what's he gonna do? fart on me?

oh wait.. he's gigantic..

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: August 25, 2010, 09:03:07 am »

Dear god. Truly this is the most evil creature to ever walk the earth. They will deceive Dwarves with their resemblance to food, only to devour them instead!

I find it weird thought that none of the zombie plump helmet men have any injuries. I haven't seen any other zombie creatures like that.

The princess is in another fortress!

*laugh*

Oh gods, I would totally sig that if I would have space.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Ristola

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: August 25, 2010, 09:05:27 am »

I figured this was the thread I was looking for when telling about projects and such that you're doing with your fort.

Anyway, some time ago I got the idea that instead of making a fort underground or in a mountain, I was to create an above-ground, walled village where everything is above ground apart from obviously the mines to get stone and basements for the different buildings. Even many storied housing above ground.
And since that, it seems to be the thing that appeals mostly to me so whenever I make a new fortress, I make it above ground. It's quite a challenge, but very satisfying.

Here's my latest one; fort Hairywhipped. I started yesterday.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bzanrw8adl7zrz8

The link contains a .rar with two exported pictures. One from the sky and one on main ground.
Mind you that I'm not even nearly finished and there's a lot to do yet, but the basic walls and drawbridge are ready and I'm trying to create some military defense now.

Dahenk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: August 25, 2010, 09:15:09 am »

The link contains a .rar with two exported pictures.
Post the pictures in spoilers instead, or link to them. That way we don't have to download dodgy filenames such as "Hairywhipped.rar"
and the pictures won't take up any thread-space cause you have to click them to open the picture.

Ristola

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: August 25, 2010, 09:20:09 am »

Post the pictures in spoilers instead, or link to them. That way we don't have to download dodgy filenames such as "Hairywhipped.rar"
and the pictures won't take up any thread-space cause you have to click them to open the picture.
Oh, alright. Sorry about that.

Here:

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: August 25, 2010, 09:43:22 am »

May I suggest also making some Stonesense screenies & posting them in the Stonesense thread? 'cos I've only ever used graphical tilesets & can't understand those maps.

Also Stonesense screenies are purty...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: August 25, 2010, 01:20:48 pm »

Silly folks and their graphic tiles addictions :P

It looks very nice.  My surface fortresses tend to run out of available space behind the walls, you look like you won't be having that problem.

If you are going to place archers on those walls though I would suggest not giving them much room to move around.  Marksdwarves take station orders as a vague suggestion lately, and will mill around anywhere within 3 tiles of their station that they are capable of reaching, this can include the wrong side of the wall and the roof of interior structures.  Major pain in the ass for marksdwarves, which won't do a thing to help your fortress defense unless they are more than 1 tile away from the defensive fortifications.  Just a friendly heads up.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:25:57 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RustyTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: August 25, 2010, 01:26:31 pm »

THIS POST CONTAINS

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: August 25, 2010, 01:39:01 pm »

THIS POST CONTAINS

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: August 25, 2010, 02:08:27 pm »

I seem to have accidentally set up a Blooderfall ... I built a well room at the base of a waterfall, and large fish keep nosediving off the falls (13 levels down) and leaving bloody corpses at the bottom, so as the water comes down, it splashes up their blood to the room level.  Really has the kids entranced!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: August 25, 2010, 02:13:41 pm »

I seem to have accidentally set up a Blooderfall ... I built a well room at the base of a waterfall, and large fish keep nosediving off the falls (13 levels down) and leaving bloody corpses at the bottom, so as the water comes down, it splashes up their blood to the room level.  Really has the kids entranced!

Schematics. Now.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: August 25, 2010, 03:21:06 pm »

For once my military has actually proven to be incredibly useful. Years of training has turned my dwarves into a true force to be reckoned with. They have slain over 10 forgotten beasts now, and any other threat to the fortress is easily dispatched by them. They managed to repel 2 ambushes without any injuries as well. One of the Dwarves is such a badass that he usually kills all of the undead by himself since he moves so fast.

At the end of autumn I'm just going to station these guys near the area the liason usually comes from in an effort to protect him. I'm confident they can fight of any goblin ambushes with minimal injuries, especially when they all 10 of them are fighting together.

Townbrush has come a long way, so I figured I'd upload an image of the main floor of the fort for anyone that is curious.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: August 25, 2010, 03:24:51 pm »

OH MY ARMOK!

The dwarven caravan actually came! And they're close enough to the entrance that they probably won't die! (on their way in, at least)

In other news, I accidentally got a miner killed. He was ordered to 80 days in jail, but nobody would bring him water so I was forced to destroy his chains so he could go get a drink. At this point the expedition leader/mayor came and literally shredded him.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:26:49 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: August 25, 2010, 03:42:35 pm »

Schematics. Now.

The actual map can be obtained in the Cookbook thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64032.msg1511600#msg1511600

Here's a pic of the room and the floor below - there's a roof overhead sealing it all up.  The walls facing the waterfall have been carved into fortifications.  Note the little red 1 in the spray :)

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: August 25, 2010, 04:09:47 pm »

You know what, I think the fortifications I put in actually block the view of the waterfall, I don't see messages about it any more in anyone's thoughts report.  That kinda ruins that concept :/  Back to the drawing board!

edit: occurs to me that glass blocks probably fix this.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 04:22:07 pm by FleshForge »
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 3842