Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6130340 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5250 on: August 24, 2010, 11:41:01 pm »

Do cats not give meat any more?

Kittens are too small to give anything useful.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5251 on: August 24, 2010, 11:41:44 pm »

I butchered full-grown cats and only got a skull.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Tywuzhere

• Bay Watcher
  • We Fell Asleep: Abdomen/Thorax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5252 on: August 25, 2010, 12:02:44 am »

Winter's hit my fortress.
So, my water source has frozen over, and I'm currently digging to find an underground cavern, in hopes of finding a new water source since my carpenter is too lazy to craft barrels, which I so desperately need to brew some beer...

I have a possessed weaponsmith, which has yielded three very high end weapons...

Oh, and I just installed Ironhand's tileset, I love it.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5253 on: August 25, 2010, 12:25:41 am »

Recently got another wave of useless migrants. Decided to recruit them for when I get bored enough to crack open some caverns and dig up some FBs.

Until then, all industries are thriving. I'm waiting on my smelters to produce enough bismuth bronze for me to make armor for said useless migrants.

Construction shall soon begins on a critter-killer I have planned out.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

randompeep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5254 on: August 25, 2010, 12:32:54 am »

We started with some sort of distant cave-in sounding thing was going off. I couldn't see it, so we generally ignored it.

Later, in the winter, my miners were digging the main staircase down to the first cavern. It's Z-30, and I'm thinking "where the hell is this thing?" (Of course, later I would see that this embark has -160 levels, but never mind that!) Finally I punch out a hole into the cavern at -34.

Then I find a deep pit. From the bottom. And that reveals a bit of cavern level 1 as well.

I've been dodging caverns for 12-Z levels, at one point with 2 tiles between fort and cavern, without ever knowing it. The deep pit is directly under my fort.

Also, there's some jewels, native gold, GCS, ... wait, GCS?! Get that wall up now!!one!
Oh, fun times.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5255 on: August 25, 2010, 12:50:50 am »

I've been dodging caverns for 12-Z levels, at one point with 2 tiles between fort and cavern, without ever knowing it. The deep pit is directly under my fort.

Same here--I first hit dwarfspace at -38, layer three.  Missed the first cavern ecosystems and a couple of animalman colonies, and, if z-stocks is telling the truth, a GSC.  I'm not sure how I did it, but it was what I was aiming for, more separation between the underground biomes.

Also, there's some jewels, native gold, GCS, ... wait, GCS?! Get that wall cage trap up now!!one!
Oh, fun times.

;P
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5256 on: August 25, 2010, 12:53:23 am »

A pack of Rhesus Macaques just tried to raid my fort. They all ran into my cage traps at the entrance.

Funny thing is, the cage traps are in a 3x2 formation. All 5 of them ran in. Stupid monkeys are soon to become a zoo exhibit.

Or I might build an animal pen until they breed out of control, then quash them with a cavein. Or launch them into a wall. Or drop them into magma. Or.... the possibilities are endless.

Oh, and I recently discovered this fort has little to no iron. Fun times are ahead.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: August 25, 2010, 12:54:29 am »

More ambushes, same scenario actually as last year's, but with a better outcome. there were three squads, one at the north bridge, all caught in the cage traps, one at the south bridge, locked out, along with the elves, whom they've killed, and one cobald axeman squad at the west gates, 6 of which were captured, 10 locked out, and several more killed, the only losses being an idiot weaver and several war animals. Not sure why the squad was so huge, 10-15 is the normal size of a besieging platoon, ambushes are usually only 5-8.

We haven't gotten SHIT done economically or architecturally. I've mostly been trying to satiate the need for bins, building a spike-trap training room, and building up the walls. The latter being almost impossible with the goblins AND cobalds hanging around outside scaring the crap out of my workers.

There haven't been any more mandrill attacks lately... a sad thing really.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5258 on: August 25, 2010, 01:10:05 am »

My FPs was starting to lag noticeably. It wasn't terrible, but I wanted to improve it. The cause was pretty easy to identify. We've lost several cooks, including the legendary butcher that was beaten to death due to her tantrum over the stolen plump helmet roasts. This has caused the Octopre population to go unchecked, resulting in  many young octopuds scurrying around the fortress, draining FPS. Since we have plenty of food, I've decided to use more drastic measures to reduce the population. I have ordered many octopuds to be dumped into the magma sea. There has already been a noticeable increase in FPS as a result. I've also decided to mine out a small chunk of adamantine. I doubt this will have any consequences, since I haven't dug out much yet.

Summer just started, so autumn won't for a long time. However, I'm already worried about the potential for a Goblin/Darnen ambush. The outpost liason was decapitated last year due to ambush, and I want to prevent this from happening. No ideas spring to mind though.

EDIT: Some of my soldiers have the thought "Was attacked by the dead recently". I like that Dwarf Fortress has little details like this.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:32:55 am by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5259 on: August 25, 2010, 01:27:44 am »

War with the cobalds has ended! Peace at last! Their diplomat was almost killed by an ambush on his way in...

Unfortunately for their captured soldiers, their civ counts them as dead upon being captured, and thus they will still end up stark naked in our arena, along with the goblins.

The unfortunate part for me is, the cobald civ was broken when I genned this world and so they don't actually send trade caravans, just liaisons, so now the only way I can get steel or bronze armor of the appropriate size is through making it myself or the dwarf caravans, which are extremely unlikely to actually make it inside. I've been completely cut off from the mountainhomes for 5 years, anyway, here's to hermitage!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: August 25, 2010, 01:56:23 am »

I have two of the unluckiest dwarves ever.

The same dwarf that got a scar on his cheek and upper leg from an earlier ambush got a finger smashed by a goblin thief, who then proceeded to break the right upper arm of the other dwarf that got his leg cut open previously.  Plus, everything is frozen, so i'm gonna have to risk opening up a path to the caverns (where there are currently THREE fb's wandering around) to get some water for them...
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: August 25, 2010, 01:58:40 am »

Dear god. Truly this is the most evil creature to ever walk the earth. They will deceive Dwarves with their resemblance to food, only to devour them instead!

I find it weird thought that none of the zombie plump helmet men have any injuries. I haven't seen any other zombie creatures like that.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: August 25, 2010, 02:46:00 am »

Dear god. Truly this is the most evil creature to ever walk the earth. They will deceive Dwarves with their resemblance to food, only to devour them instead!

I find it weird thought that none of the zombie plump helmet men have any injuries. I haven't seen any other zombie creatures like that.

The princess is in another fortress!
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: August 25, 2010, 03:07:40 am »

Well, I show up, do the usual dig 10 levels deep, hit cavern at 7. Otherwise everything is going fine. I thought i walled it all off, but apparently there was an open spot left in one area, so all my dwarves are up on the surface and on z -1 moving food in and a GCS bursts in and rips a guy to shreds.

I get the miners together and they tear it apart surprisingly fast, but the damage is already done. Everyone goes from "meh" to "oh god this sucks", someone goes berserk and kills someone else before getting killed, so on and so forth, i gave up when i had two severly wounded guys taking turns tantruming and destroying stuff.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: August 25, 2010, 06:00:01 am »

Zombie Deer invasion, forcing all of my dwarves underground while they ripped apart my Hallway-O-Guard-Dogs. I've never seen so many zombie deer.

So, they all are underground, with no fresh water, and plenty of wounds. I decide to build a quick aquaduct to the nearby river so as to alleviate the problem. Unfortunately, a weird situation involving a forgotten aquaduct channel led to the seal in my well-room being broken, and everything starting to flood from underneath. I have the dwarves floor the cistern extremely quickly, and after that's finished, everything seems to be going fine, except that ZOMBIE CARP are now in the cistern. The pressure builds and the well becomes a geyser of water, out of which zombie carp start to shoot out and into what was going to be a rather elegant meeting hall.

A few dwarves die due to the zombie-carp-cannon, and some walls are hastily constructed, and now everybody is freaking out because the fortress is now in it's tantrum-death-spiral.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 3842