Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6130436 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5235 on: August 24, 2010, 05:33:20 pm »

MANDRILL ARENA

!!MANDRILL!! ARENA
Magma 1/7
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: August 24, 2010, 05:52:08 pm »

MANDRILL ARENA

!!MANDRILL!! ARENA
Magma 1/7

I now know what I am going to do with all the groundhogs that keep wandering into my traps.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: August 24, 2010, 06:09:45 pm »

Townbrush has descended into chaos once again. A series of unfortunate events involving Forgotten Beasts and zombie fish has led to a dozen deaths in rapid succession.

I decided it was time to preform a cleansing of the caverns. I removed the barrier on the second cavern with the intent of having my military kill all 3 of the Forgotten Beats lurking within it. They immediately disposed of the first one, but the other 3 were hiding in the shadows. However another Forgotten beast appeared in the 3rd cavern layer, proudly announcing its presence by crushing a hauler. I sent my military down to deal with him, but the other 2 FB decided to come out in the open. They attacked some haulers and diggers, killing them all. My military spent the next few months scrambling up and down the stairs, killing undead and FB. During this time an ambush occurred on the surface. However my trap defense worked wonderfully, killing most of the goblins. This didn't save the Outpost Liason though, who spawned in the middle of a goblin squad and was decapitated.

The undead have also become a lot more active again. A zombie manta ray crawled into the bedroom and crushed a mason to death.  I've been having my Guard Captain shoot any undead that approach the fortress as a precaution now. I also flushed a brave flesh ball explorer into the ocean to serve as a distraction. Currently it is being attacked by a zombie whale shark, which is unable to kill it. Also both of my idiot doctors decided to go on break, leading to many cripples dying of thirst, including myself. Obviously I wasn't to thrilled about that. This also reduces the number of original founders down to 2. I really need some new migrants to balance out all these deaths. Considering how they were willing to visit Townbrush during the Ogre invasion, I don't know why they are staying away now.

The only positive thing that happened recently was that a forge master went fey and produced a highly valuable adamantine crown.

EDIT: Just had my first magma related death in DF (yay?). I was channeling tiles over the magma sea to create an incineration pit, when my digger made a mistake and fell in due to a cavern collapse. The result of this is pretty obvious. He was also one of the starting seven. So now there is only one.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:24:35 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: August 24, 2010, 06:22:47 pm »

I didn't like the fact that I had to build my irrigation in a soil layer, so I decided to dig out the soil and replace it with Adamantine floors and walls.  Much more dwarfy.
Diggy diggy hole.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: August 24, 2010, 06:26:50 pm »

I'm currently having my army of hauler/engravers smooth and engrave the entire bedroom/hospital/office level. Once they're done with that, it'll be on to the stockpile level.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: August 24, 2010, 06:39:19 pm »

57 Foxes.

Making adjustments the mouth of the FOX Head before moving on the skull portion. The cheeks didn't look quite the right proportions.

Also, two artifacts. A Perfect red tourmaline, encrusted with red tourmaline and a copper pick. Yes, a copper pick. It's worth 36480 and is decorated with an image of some dwarf named Uvash Armorrim, being surrounded by lizards. It's called Evenmatches. So impressive.  ::)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EpicPhayl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: August 24, 2010, 07:08:00 pm »

Considering war with the elves after they duped me into buying a camel under the guise of it being a giant jaguar.

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: August 24, 2010, 07:31:26 pm »

I'm building a solid gold tower on the roof of my fort. There's no real reason for it, I just needed something to do.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: August 24, 2010, 07:43:17 pm »

The glassmaking industry has started with 1 dwarf whom I nicknamed "Glassy."

I do the EXACT same thing for my chief glassmaker!

Also, new fort had two of my 7 die to stupid cave-ins (dammit urist channel properly!) but managed to baricade myself in before the goats got too feisty. Also turns out my river acts as a natural moat, completely bisecting the map. Need to bridge tat because my migrants keep coming on the opposite side.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: August 24, 2010, 09:05:13 pm »

Had a forgotten beast find its way into my fort when I thought I had walled off every possible route inside only to find that it FLYS and thats how it got in.

Anyway, it had one of thoose unknown breath weapons that incapacitated almost 50% of my dwarfs TOTAL. At this point thats something like 15-20 dwarfs all paralyzed/KOed (dont really know what happened they just stopped moving). Well my military manage to kill it at the cost of all three of their lives (my starting 3 miner dwarfs who had level 4 in both axes and shields who acted as my early military when not mining) and the lives of several less important dwarfs.

Unfortunatly one of these deaths was my medical dwarf. So now I had to replace him with a skilled bone doctor but had no skill in diagnosing. With my hospital overflowing with paralyzed dwarfs and an unskilled medic running around doing next to nothing, the tantrum spiral started.

Since the three miners who died were founders, almost everyone was friends with them and some dwarfs took it pretty hard. I was really worried that the tantruming dwarfs would hurt or kill someone valuable but everything looked like it would turn around. I had a legendary dining room and several well made platinum statues.

Then the unthinkable happens.... in a fit of rage SOMEONE CUTS OFF THE LEG (most dwarfs have axes to mass chop trees) OF MY LEGENDARY (mooded) ARMORSMITH!!!!! He survived actually but now lies comatose in the hospital and I fear he will never walk or do his duty again. He was taken care of by the medical staff who has some skill after diagnosing all the paralyzed dwarfs but I have little hope that he will actually take advantage of the dozens of crutches stored in my hospital storage units and become that super valuable dwarf again.

Fortuantly I got at least 5 complete suits of exceptional/masterful steel armor out of him before his "accident" and several other bits and pecies of steel armor made.

alas para yoric we hardly knew yea
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

Dahenk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: August 24, 2010, 09:58:47 pm »

Building a circular shaped arena over magma.

There will be pressure plates on the edges (unlikely to step on, but still possible) that will open the cage to a giant =)

Other plates will open holes in the floor making it possible to dodge into magma.

None of the migrants that i nicknamed "Gladiator01", "Gladiator02" are suspecting anything.. They even help with the construction

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: August 24, 2010, 10:21:24 pm »

Three years into the great history of Buriedashes, and the greatest threats I have encountered are a solitary goblin snatcher and... this...

Code: [Select]
A great blob composed of snow. It has a stubby tail and it undulates rhythmically.
This is some kind of bad joke. I think I shall dispatch my squads to hunt down this animate snowball and deal with it summarily, before our fortress becomes the laughing stock of the dwarven kingdoms.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: August 24, 2010, 10:27:46 pm »

!!MANDRILL!! ARENA

YES THIS

I swear those were the first two names it gave me for the combat squads.  I took it as a sign...  Eat Glitter Princess Power, puppies!

Not a single werewolf has set paw on my map and survived...  But alas, that last one took out my only clothier, and a macedwarf sustained a leg wound.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: August 24, 2010, 10:59:04 pm »

Three years into the great history of Buriedashes, and the greatest threats I have encountered are a solitary goblin snatcher and... this...

Code: [Select]
A great blob composed of snow. It has a stubby tail and it undulates rhythmically.
This is some kind of bad joke. I think I shall dispatch my squads to hunt down this animate snowball and deal with it summarily, before our fortress becomes the laughing stock of the dwarven kingdoms.

The animate snow ball has proven to be an unusual opponent, to say the least. We had not accounted for the unbelievable speed with which this thing moves, nearly faster than the eye can follow, rendering our intended preparations for dealing with it futile.

It landed upon my miner with its own bulk, crushing him to death just moments after he breached the wall near the creature's lair. Poor Cerol didn't even have time to scream. The thing then shot up the central shaft of the fortress - and no thing that flies or walks has ever moved at even a fraction of the speed this thing moved. In the time it took one of the squads to take but a few steps, it had ascended 25 levels up through the heart of the fortress to the surface!

One of our crossbowdwarves saw this enormous frozen ball streaking towards him and panic gripped him as he unleashed a single bolt before it reached him - and that was it. That one wooden bolt flew through the beast as if it were as ephemeral as the air itself, and it exploded into a thousand snowflakes. Moments later, there was nothing left but a puddle of water to mark the passing of this strange entity that had slain one of our elite miners in the blink of an eye.

Very strange indeed.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: August 24, 2010, 11:39:39 pm »

Do cats not give meat any more?
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 3842