Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096820 times)

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4860 on: August 11, 2010, 11:59:57 am »

Oh god four simultanious ambushes, one after another, in frigteningly quick succesion. It was basically a seige all but in name.
Somehow am still alive. Somehow my legendery killer sheriif is still alive, after running too and fro from all four groups, butchering them all as he goes. It took some markgoblins to do any damage to him, and even then he just charged at the bolts and knocked them flying. He currently has red wounds on his arm. Lots of casulties and not enough dwarves to fill in the military. Praying for migrants.
Also found the first cavern layer, and finally got access to some much-needed drinking water (my complex river system decided to dry out again. Am currently in the middle of a megaprject to build an artifical lake to solve that and the food-fishing problems. Plus I pull a lever and all the water goes flushing down the mountain to kill northward ambush parties.)

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: August 11, 2010, 01:01:57 pm »

I've just discovered my first Cavern!  Currently I have 3 2-dwarf patrols guarding the stairwells and entrances, doesn't seem to be anything but Dralthas down here.

...A whole heap of webs though...

Anyhoo, population's 56, and got 100 bedrooms carved, furnished and in the process of being smoothed.  Waiting for the next migration wave to arrive so I can draft some more troops.

Oh, and making 70 Large, serrated steel discs to place a row of salsa-makers by the entrance to my fort.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: August 11, 2010, 02:19:56 pm »

I've finally gotten around to reclaiming Clashworks, the site of what will eventually be something megaproject-ish.  I tried reclaiming it a few times - the first time, I found that a Bronze Colossus and a Hydra had both escaped their cages.  So I abandoned again, and came back with seven proficient axedwarves.  They couldn't handle the Hydra, and didn't even get a chance to face the BC.  Next, I embarked with seven dabbling axedwarves, used Runesmith to make them legendary axedwarves with high stats, and tried again.  They took out the Hydra (4 died in the process), but couldn't give the BC anything more than a dented finger.  Finally, I embarked one last time with a more standard crew, and used Runesmith to teleport the Bronze Colossus into hell.

This should still be very Fun.  There are about twenty five friendly goblins and trolls, but I have a feeling I'll be getting an ambush or a siege early on.  Also, I've heard things along the lines of "Sparring works now", which means my soldiers will probably be killing each other soon.  (I'm not willing to deal with the hassle of training weapons)
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: August 11, 2010, 04:47:35 pm »

Fumbling with a military and Metal production. Steel looks promising, but I'd like to find magma First.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Kessadir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: August 11, 2010, 06:25:39 pm »

Well... Im not sure how long my fort is standing, but I had 77 dwarves, and 74 right now due to goblin ambushes that occur 3 at a time.

My dorfs dont leave the fortresses gates without a good reason which right now is lack of wood. The forest is growing quite fast, but I dont want to risk my dwarves lives to the damn goblins!
Ive got enough food and beer inside the fortress, so theres really no more reasons to open the gates than caravans from the mountain home, new dorfs and wood gathering.

I had an accident that a human caravan died from few goblin ambushes, and somehow the human merchants got trapped in my cage traps near the depot. Dont know how they're going to react to such act of nonsense, but bring them on!
Oh, bring them after my soldiers heal their wounds after the last expedition for wood lol.

Im kinda impressed of how my fortress is looking.
Ive got a 3 level  fortress with catapults on top, but Im without any mechanism of self destruct once the fortress is defeated.

And a screenie of my fortress at the bottom level.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I know... Blood is everywhere.

Tale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: August 11, 2010, 06:29:13 pm »

The Elf Diplomat is chasing my Expedition Leader around.  The Expedition Leader won't stop working long enough for the diplomat to talk to him.  Good man.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: August 11, 2010, 06:57:22 pm »

I...I am apparently alternatively cursed by Murphy and blessed by Armok.  Seriously, they freakin' take TURNS at me.

BLESSING:  I redownloaded 40d because, eh, I like it more.  No military menu mess and most everything works with that version.  On the greater upside, my 'custom modification files' showed back up right where I left them!

CURSE:  It took me 15 tries to generate a world I was happy with.

BLESSING:  I didn't have to go hunting for the magma!

CURSE:  Every time I set up my magma operations, no matter the map, BOOM, I have struck native gold.  Leading to a quandary as to if I should dig it out and stash it somewhere or just let the magma at it.  (Hint, it's always option a!)

BLESSING:  I know there's an underground river/pool on the map somewhere, because I have two freaking PAGES of dead snake/lizard men.

CURSE:  My first exploratory shaft to find said river/pool lead to 'You have struck happy blue metal!  Praise the miners!'  There was a sound of silence, and then the sound of me savescumming.

Yeah they take turns at me.  Oh but the best part of that last curse?  I settled my WHOLE FORT right over the stuff.  Which will make it easier in the long haul, I suppose...
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Tale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: August 11, 2010, 08:03:37 pm »

I have a migrant High Master Glassmaker who's slowly thirsting to death because he refuses to drink because I have no means of making glass for the Fey Mood he had.

I have a mason who's about to follow suit since he wants "rock bars" which are apparently metal bars.  I have no metal ore here either.  Thankfully with the wall almost complete, I may have no use for him.

Aik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: August 12, 2010, 01:36:20 am »

I am currently locked out of my fort.

Goblins ambushed. We pull the drawbridge - too late. Everyone dies or is resting - eventually they die too.

Migrants come - lots and lots of them. They have no way into the fortress.

A miner shows up - hurrah. He digs a spiral staircase down into the lower levels of the fortress. Unfortunately, a goblin is down there, and he's now resting. Due to a pathfinding bug, none of my 18 immigrants can work out how to get down the staircase.

So, now we're camping outside. Ideally someone would find a pick somewhere and start cutting a dodgy staircase that we can actually path through, then we can open the gates and let a caravan kill the goblins when it comes. Failing that, we'll hopefully be able to trade for a pick or two and at least get back into the fortress where we can set up a ridiculous amount of cage traps. Having a well equipped and trained military is obviously a waste of time against these guys.

Edit:
... aaand hurrah. A human caravan came, so we opened up the fortress by pulling up a set of floor tiles to the outside that I'd forgotten about. The goblins rushed out to try and kill us. With some designated military distraction dwarves+the caravan, everyone else rushed inside. I'm not really sure how the battle topside went, but there are some new goblin corpses and there doesn't seem to be any enemies left. The fort is now closed for business until the cleanup insanity is over. So many coffins to make...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:09:50 am by Aik »

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: August 12, 2010, 08:28:00 am »

Digging down to find water on a barren-surfaced embark, eventually the water was discovered in the second cavern where the stairs broke through.  There were also a tribe of 12 fishmen, marked as 'hostile' in the units list. A fishwoman blowgunner shot my miner in the brain, instantly killing him. From 23 z-levels below. Now I can't recover the pick OR build the well, and my intrepid little band is doomed to death by thirst.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: August 12, 2010, 10:00:21 am »

Why can't you build the well?

In my fort: First dwarven caravan, first mood, and this random immigrant woodcutter is about to be a legendary miner. I know who to draft into my mining corps!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: August 12, 2010, 02:23:43 pm »

Melomel cancels Patience:  melomel has gone berserk!

My patience has reached its end.  Going to copy the save, strip-mine the whole mess and hope it's in the part of the biome that freezes.

I have 3 HM glassmakers, two good weaponsmiths and an armorsmith all going to rust due to lack of matériel.  This Will Not Do.  >:[
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Lukas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: August 12, 2010, 02:34:46 pm »

Let's see... working on my first above ground fort. While I could not access stone the first year, I was able to dig through an aquifer layer, have it freeze in the winter, and secure a passage to stone :D

However during that first year both of my first two miners died in freak accidents - #1 died after standing over a tiny lake while it unfroze, subsequently drowning. #2 managed to cause a cave in while digging out a 1-tile wide channel, landing him in the hospital. However I had forgotten to add a fresh water source, so when winter came and all the water froze (and he was the miner with the only bloody pickaxe available), he died of dehydration. Go figure

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: August 12, 2010, 02:38:59 pm »

Give someone else the pick and have him GET DIGGIN.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: August 12, 2010, 03:23:29 pm »

Can Goblins jump down a Z-level with an open space?  Because I just realized that I never walled off the hill over my fort, I just removed the ramps that could lead into my walled off area around the entrance.

I've lost too many forts to the first Goblin ambush to lose this new one.  I probably won't lose it, but ono't want to be pushed away from my entrance, lose the military, then draw up the bridges after half the fort is dead.  Only to realize one Goblin made it inside and OH GOD HE'S GOING TO KILL THEM ALL.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:25:11 pm by Tale »
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 3842