Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097039 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4785 on: August 07, 2010, 01:41:17 pm »

Time to go vermin hunting encrusting.

Fix'd.

Also, Emenshorast, "Strengthwire", 40d (yes, that fort again!)

Late spring, 224. Monstrous titaness Zosto have came! While she was en route (literally - she was going via the Southern Salt Road) to Emenshorast, the captain of the heores squad, Zan, legendary sworddwarf, met her. The combat was short and the only thing I managed to see was Zosto's red upper body, and two frames later, she was dead. Zan returned to Emenshorast and a feast was made in his glory.

Zosto one the last of three megabeasts that were alive since the end of worldgen (I've checked the Legends via copy-folder trick). Two other megas that died in Emenshorast were Titans as well.

Are the chances for the pop-up with 'The world moved into Age of Something' high now? It would be pretty cool if I could see that at the start of new year. Emenshorast is first fort that is ten years old under my control. I would feel both proud and satisfied.

Actually, I feel like that already :)
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Tywuzhere

• Bay Watcher
  • We Fell Asleep: Abdomen/Thorax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: August 07, 2010, 01:43:23 pm »

I tried to build a hospital, so I dug out a cliff right next to a little pond so I could have a water source... Then I went and did other stuff.
I forgot that I had dug out that area in the mountain, and figured it was above ground, not underground. So, I put down stairs in it.
Long story short, my hospital looked like crap, so I force closed DF without saving, I'll try again later haha.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: August 07, 2010, 02:11:25 pm »

"You have struck fish!  Praise the miners!"

There are no fish in the brooks.  No fish in the ponds.  My fisherdwarf immigrant caught one lonely turtle before I turned off his fishing labor.  Now?  The water gushing from the breached aquifers teems with shad and sailfin molly...  maybe I'll reserve some of this space for indoor aquaculture.  :p
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

albinocaveslug

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: August 07, 2010, 03:08:02 pm »

I am currently building a forced cleaning area. (Workin' at the dwarf wash, yeah!) Since dwarves track their filth everywhere and I had a forgotten beast a while back that had what seems to be syndrome causing blood (Nothing fatal... it just blinded several dogs, the guy who carried its corpse to the refuse pile and the butcher who cut it up...) I have several dwarves who do nothing but clean. Soon I'll have a zone that all civilians will be locked into as thousands of gallons of water are dumped on them, so all cleaning is done at once and the tracking will cease.

After that, I'm carving out two full levels to flood with magma and then water to make a huge underground tree farm.

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: August 07, 2010, 03:34:01 pm »

I've modded GCS to be about the size of a dog and added [VERMINHUNTER] so I can have a nice dog/cat/war-animal/guard-beast all in one species. Of course, I also modded them to spawn in huge swarms in the wild so I can have extra Fun trying to obtain cave spiders or use subterranean areas.

albinocaveslug

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: August 07, 2010, 04:54:58 pm »

So, the dwarves are washed. Things didn't go quite as planned, but there were no fatalities. Every dwarf in my fortress seems to be a novice swimmer or better now and watching several dwarves who got forced through the grates fight the flow toward the drain until the torrent subsided was, frankly, hilarious. I think next time I'll just make an artificial stream across the entry to my mead halls, though. :D

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: August 07, 2010, 07:36:57 pm »

Only dwarven injury would be my legendary miner / expedition leader who had his left hip torn open. He is also now a legendary fighter and legendary wrestler, dabbling hammerdwarf.
No one would retrieve him, so after a bit he walked to the hospital, only to find the hospital has no thread to stitch his wounds together.
Fortunately, some elves stopped by and had some thread and cloth which I quickly bought up, along with a cougar, and got the supplies to the hospital. A Herbalist quickly set the hip and now by early-summer of year 2, my wounded miner is out of bed and conducting a meeting with the Elven diplomat.
Also, a goblin thief stumbled into a cage trap; can I tie him to a chain and use him for werewolf bait?

EDIT: By mid-summer, the legendary miner's hip is better, just some minor wounds on surrounding muscles.

I say its better to die than accept help from evlen scum.
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: August 07, 2010, 08:06:33 pm »

scum? SCUM?!

I now hate you forever and will eat your babies.

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: August 07, 2010, 08:31:11 pm »

scum? SCUM?!

I now hate you forever and will eat your babies.
Kill the goblin! Burn the elves! Purge the undwarven!
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: August 07, 2010, 08:36:14 pm »

Last ambush was annoying. Some retard that actually succeeded in running away from ambushers (! this is rare, usually ambushed dorf is dead faster than you can say "Oh shit") to safety of fort (! also rare, they usually run away like headless chickens in some stupid direction, even if next to entrance to fort) - only to got scared by kobold thief nearby inner bridge, do 180 and go back to ambushers to be promptly killed. DarwinDwarf award, anyone?

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: August 07, 2010, 08:45:20 pm »

InDoor... Aquaculture? hmmm. Might work.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: August 07, 2010, 09:18:16 pm »

So I've been getting regular ambushes at this point, but cleaning them up with my military is rather easy by now. My diggers finnaly completed the dozens of tasks I assigned for them so I'll finally get some organization with their jobs. I've also decided to construct a draining chamber for the ocean in hopes of catching large fish in it. No real reason to do so other than to say I caught and killed a whale though, since I have more than enough food and drink. My mayor also imprisoned a random wood carpenter, but since my prison is made from rose gold chains with food stockpiles and beds nearby, it was more like a mini vacation.

I also constructed a depo for the sole purpose of trapping Elves in it. The only reason I tolerated Elves was because they brought me animals, but these Elves apparently don't have any animals of value. So I've decided to drive them insane and hopefully trap them in cage traps to put on display in the lighthouse.

EDIT: A Giant just arrived. So far he's just been torturing a puppy trapped outside. He punched it so hard it flew off it's chain into a nearby pit. The Giant then leaped on top of the puppy, shattering it's bones. Now he's just shaking it by it's legs for fun, apparently.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:02:44 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: August 07, 2010, 10:39:42 pm »

Working on the first two of what will be a system of five arrow towers overlooking my electrum drawbridge (which will double as my gobbo clothing atomsmasher). Now I just need the crossbow dwarves to man them.

I've also arranged for a couple of upright spear trap "unfortunate accidents" for my fortress cats. Two down, one queued up, three or four left to go.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: August 08, 2010, 07:52:32 am »

During a tantrum spiral I chained up all the offending parties in close proximity. I didn't realize they would continue their brawl in chains. Much fun was had.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: August 08, 2010, 07:57:38 am »

Someone must have dropped the soap at some point.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 3842