Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097020 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4770 on: August 06, 2010, 06:41:42 pm »

Thanks folks, glad you like it. :)  I wasn't sure where I was going with it at first but it's coming along nicely.

How do you think I should "top it off" ?

Post an example pic if you come across one, I found lots of neat ideas on google images searching for "office building"  But I am interested to hear your suggestions.
I suggest a spire/radio antenna at the end, sort of like the top of the New York tower.
Nom nom nom

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: August 06, 2010, 06:53:53 pm »

planning to smooth an entire Z-level and engrave its entire surface.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: August 06, 2010, 06:59:33 pm »

planning to smooth an entire Z-level and engrave its entire surface.

[SPEED:0]

Thanks folks, glad you like it. :)  I wasn't sure where I was going with it at first but it's coming along nicely.

Post an example pic if you come across one, I found lots of neat ideas on google images searching for "office building"  But I am interested to hear your suggestions.

Build a dwarf on top of it. In one of it's hands in a book, in the other is a noble on fire.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: August 06, 2010, 07:55:33 pm »

I Can't work with metal, is there any difference between Bluemetal chestplates and say, a bluemetal shirt?
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: August 06, 2010, 09:02:58 pm »

Well, my relatively well trained military just got cut by a third. A hill Titan (arachnid etc, beware it's poisonous bite) showed up and chewed through my entrance dogs. The military were slow to respond to the kill order (ended up giving a move order instead). Lost two Axe Lords in exceptional/masterwork steel armour (with pretty high skills) and two marksdwarves (who had very little training, but very high quality armour). Killed him in the end, axe lord who did so named his axe, gnyawww, it's so cute.

Also, dancing on the edge of the catsplosion avalanche.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: August 06, 2010, 09:27:46 pm »

I Can't work with metal, is there any difference between Bluemetal chestplates and say, a bluemetal shirt?

Well if we look at the laws of raw and wiki;
(http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Armor_token and your items_armor.txt file.)
Breastplates cover only the upper body. It is listed as armor. It is listed as HARD and thus never wears down from being worn, all the civilian clothes are SOFT and will wear down from usage.

Shirts cover the upper body and everything above it (head, arms, and anything else that can connect to the upper body without going through the lower body. It is listed as underwear (worn under anything listed as over-wear)

Tunics cover both the upper and lower body, and the upper legs (lbstep:1, meaning upper lower and upper legs), but nothing else.

Dresses and robes cover everything except the hands and feet. Dresses also cover the most area for the least amount of material used.

All of these give 100% protection from contaminants to all involved body parts, according to the wikiraws.
The wiki says that because of a bug in 31.03, these will protect all facial features and appendages, but that might have been addressed.

There's nothing on there that says [SOFT] and [HARD] affect an items ability to defend you (except from embarrassing moth holes on the wrong part of your panties), and the only other differences are the [LAYER:ARMOR/OVER/UNDER] and [STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_WOVEN_THREAD(probably the one that decides if it'll protect you from damage or not)] tags.
The biggest issue if those don't stop you is that you 1) may not be able to assign civie clothes to soldiers (I've never even tried, after this i might) and 2) even if you could they'd probably get claimed faster than you can assign them. Then you've got to convince your troops to WEAR them, and dorfs often just store them in a cabinet, and not to take them off when activated.
Probably just by being made of adamantine, the only combat-worthy material also usable in common clothing, they'll protect you pretty well.

teal deer; needs a damn test!

EDIT: typos :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 09:33:31 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Aik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: August 06, 2010, 09:45:48 pm »

Bad end: Everyone died of thirst. My first time on a glacier.
Annoying thing is that we'd just acquired some booze from a caravan, but I guess the few dwarves I had left were too caught up in their work.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: August 06, 2010, 09:56:07 pm »

I suggest a spire/radio antenna at the end, sort of like the top of the New York tower.

Do you mean the Empire State Building? Because then you'd also need a giant gorilla. Just saying.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: August 06, 2010, 10:16:58 pm »

A kobold thief stabbed a dog in the stomach, and now the dog is dragging its guts along behind it.  You can see it as two squares of fog that follow the dog.

Nice.
This Forgotten Beast was delicious!

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: August 06, 2010, 10:19:31 pm »

Do you mean the Empire State Building? Because then you'd also need a giant gorilla. Just saying.
would you build the giant gorilla, or just let a gorilla loose on the side of your tower?

OT:
Just made the mistake of flooding my fortress behind a 3z waterfall. was a nice fortress too.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:58:10 pm by rat_pack40 »

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: August 07, 2010, 12:04:04 am »

The good point about war dogs: they'll run out in front, distracting archers while your melee dwarves close the gap.  The bad point about war dogs: when a kobold ambush pincushions a guy's dog, and then bugged burial behavior leaves it outside to rot, he throws a tantrum and chops the legs off of three dwarves and cuts another guy's dog in half.  Now I see the point of actually having a captain of the guard:  if he'd been imprisoned after chopping the legs off of one guy, he wouldn't have gone on to permanently maim two more carpenters.  Half of my fort's permanently disabled guys are attributable to one swordsdwarf's tantrums.  Technically, this makes the kobold that killed his dog the deadliest foe my dwarves have ever faced.

He tried to attack another military dwarf and my mayor, but steel armor is darn good stuff and my mayor masterfully parried every blow.  Legendary miners don't have time for any bullshit.

EDIT: Oh god, left the game unpaused while writing that.  GCS got in from the cave, and during its attack two dwarves got ripped apart by traps.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 12:15:47 am by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: August 07, 2010, 12:30:12 am »

Ogre . . .
mobilized some civilians with crossbows, quivers, bolts, leather armour . . .
stationed them so they would pick up equipment before running into combat . . .
15 pages of bashing the ogre with crossbows before the ogre is knocked unconscious, someone realizes they have bolts and
"The flying <{steel bolt}> strikes The Ogre in the head, tearing the muscle, chipping the skull and tearing the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The <{steel bolt}> has lodged firmly in the wound!"
combat over.

Only dwarven injury would be my legendary miner / expedition leader who had his left hip torn open. He is also now a legendary fighter and legendary wrestler, dabbling hammerdwarf.
No one would retrieve him, so after a bit he walked to the hospital, only to find the hospital has no thread to stitch his wounds together.
Fortunately, some elves stopped by and had some thread and cloth which I quickly bought up, along with a cougar, and got the supplies to the hospital. A Herbalist quickly set the hip and now by early-summer of year 2, my wounded miner is out of bed and conducting a meeting with the Elven diplomat.
Also, a goblin thief stumbled into a cage trap; can I tie him to a chain and use him for werewolf bait?

Current population: 43 Dwarves, 3 war dogs (I only trained two, do migrants bring war animals?), and 24 other animals.

EDIT: By mid-summer, the legendary miner's hip is better, just some minor wounds on surrounding muscles.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 11:22:40 am by McDwarf »

Andur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: August 07, 2010, 01:17:39 am »

My mayor just demanding a rose gold bed in his office... Either he wants to sleep at work or hold inappropriate meetings... In any event, unless there is the most amazingly lucky artifact created, he'll just have to suffer :)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: August 07, 2010, 02:15:02 am »

Hit an aquifer on Z -2.  This may mean that my aquifer is actually only 1 z-level thick in places...  or that it's 3 z-levels thick in places.  (Mmm, mingled biomes.)  Have about ten pieces of bauxite purchased at embark, and a bar or two of copper left.  Surface trees almost exhausted.

I will have the mushroom farm to end all mushroom farms, thanks to aquifer flooding.  (Already dug stairs down; the ground floods to 1-2 water and the rest gets soaked up by the breached aquifer below.  Mud!  Oceans of beautiful, beautiful mud...  of course, it won't do anything until I get down to the caverns.  The caverns which have an unknown amount of aquiferous z-levels between me and them.)
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: August 07, 2010, 01:26:37 pm »

First artifact of the fort; now I have a legendary gem setter.

Nufreth Ekast, "The Weather of Safety", a cat's eye animal trap.
Weight: 8
Basic Value: 97,200

This is a cat's eye animal trap. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with emerald. This object is adorned with hanging rings of ash.
On the item is an image of iton Shotbrims the dwarf and dwarves in cat's eye. iton Shotbrims is surrounded by the dwarves. The artifact relates to the appointment of the dwarf iton Shotbrims to the position of diplomat of the Oar of Kindnesses in 1.

Time to go vermin hunting.

EDIT: Having discovering in a fight against an ogre that crossbows can shoot bolts, my dwarves shot down a harpy over a cage trap, so now I have a wounded harpy.

EDIT AGAIN: Artifact animal trap is now in the animal stockpiles with a live demon rat in it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 02:36:26 pm by McDwarf »
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 3842