Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097142 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4755 on: August 06, 2010, 09:09:41 am »

Cafe Royale: (It overlooks the caverns, the windows are clear glass)

When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: August 06, 2010, 11:18:13 am »

Just had three goblin ambushes, one after another, all in a similar timescale.
A caravan from the mountainhomes arrived before them, so I had a little protection for all the dwarves outside, where my trade depot is.
First one had somehow got past my defenses and had got in the fort. They died due to traps and the fact they had appeared in the middle of my barracks, where my legendery sherif dwarf was hanging out. Lost three recruit dwarfs due to it.
Said legendery dwarf goes fishing with the armour dwarf, encounters another ambush at fishing hole. Proceeds to batter the everloving crap out of all of them, and armour dwarf gets a spear stuck in his chest.
Another Ambush pops up near the trade depot and kills a kid. Army, along with legenery dwarf, goes and zerg rushes them and kills them in the river. One recruit dies.
Then a goblin snatcher attempted to make off with another kid. My armour dwarf, spear still in his cheast, rushes after the thing alongside my Legendery dwarf to catch it. The golbin manges to injure him some more, and he collapses due to running too slowly and too painfully. My Legendery tares after the snatcher and proceeds to beat seven kinds of shit out of it, and rescuses the child.
Most of my army now has several wounds, some of the major ones among them are being catered to by one docter who wants to do other things than help them not die, and a child has his arm cut off. My legendery dorf? not a single scratch on him.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: August 06, 2010, 12:10:15 pm »

ya but since he's the sheriff, if anyone breaks a law or fails a mandate... they're dead...
Nom nom nom

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: August 06, 2010, 12:12:23 pm »

@Beeskee: Aren't those windows in danger of Flying  Building destroyers?
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: August 06, 2010, 01:21:15 pm »

That's the best part.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: August 06, 2010, 01:23:46 pm »

Building a few more silver balista arrows.

Currently have 22 dwarves in the defense mod.

Did the thing so I can reget my balista arrows after they fall through the channel.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:25:55 pm by eclipsetail »

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: August 06, 2010, 03:47:49 pm »

It's the first level of the caverns. :) Also, Invaders are turned off. Hehe.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: August 06, 2010, 04:01:48 pm »

I still only have 7 dwarves, and intend to stick with that for now. The next wave of immigrants I'll accept to get military, and after that I'll just lock 'em outside, and only accept if I really need some. Maybe even drop some axes outside and let them cut wood for me until they die  ;D
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: August 06, 2010, 05:02:27 pm »

Mid-winter of the first year.
My miner went from zero experience to legendary after digging 23 five by ten rooms (plus hallways).
The Dwarven caravan showed up on the other side of the river forcing me to build a bridge for them. Luckily there were no werewolves at the time; hopefully my mechanic can get the bridge raisable before the werewolves return.
They seemed quite happy to buy glass balls; I got everything I wanted from them and should have enough left over to trade to the elfs for their exotic animals.

I have a small underground farming area and well with a small reservoir fed by the river for when the river freezes. Unfortunately, it is down at the upper river, which is 7 z-levels below my main fort.

Current population: 17 Dwarves, 2 war dogs, 12 other animals.

At one point I had my Expedition Leader make a statue to encourage marriage. I was expecting a statue of a mule, because he likes mules, instead he makes a statue of his god, Inod Coloredwhite, the deity of jewels and fortresses, depicted as a male dwarf in schist. Inod Coloredwhite is contemplating. That went in the courtyard outside the front door to welcome visitors.
Hmm, maybe I should try to get statues of all the deities of my civilization and build a temple.

Immediate things to do:
Dam the upper river to stop the 18 z-level waterfall to hopeful decrease slow downs when the rivers freeze and thaw (the other option is to build a magma river under the surface river to have surface water year round, but I don't have a source of magma, yet).

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: August 06, 2010, 05:19:06 pm »

Headquarters of DwarfCorp: (Construction in progress)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: August 06, 2010, 05:28:34 pm »

Ha oh wow.  That is impressive.  It actually looks like a real office building.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: August 06, 2010, 05:39:29 pm »

Embarked in the glaciers and was immediately besieged by several packs of ice wolves.  One of my starting axedwarves got ripped up bad and was about to die of blood loss, but somehow pulled it through without any medical care!  Emboldened by his recovery, he then proceeded to chase a yeti which punched him in the stomach and crushed his larynx.

Walled off with a nice courtyard by midsummer and ready for the traders.  While that was going on outside, the miners dug through the ice sheet and hit rock.  3 z-levels later they hit the first cavern.  I guess that solves the irrigation issue...  Hopefully the magma sea is more than 20 levels below.

@Beeskee
That looks awesome!

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: August 06, 2010, 05:46:17 pm »

Headquarters of DwarfCorp: (Construction in progress)

Nice, I like it!

Just started a new embark. Sign that this fort is going to be FUN: The map's swarming with skeletal elephants and hippos.  :D

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: August 06, 2010, 05:57:23 pm »

Thanks folks, glad you like it. :)  I wasn't sure where I was going with it at first but it's coming along nicely.

How do you think I should "top it off" ?

Post an example pic if you come across one, I found lots of neat ideas on google images searching for "office building"  But I am interested to hear your suggestions.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:08:18 pm by Beeskee »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: August 06, 2010, 06:10:41 pm »

Thanks folks, glad you like it. :)  I wasn't sure where I was going with it at first but it's coming along nicely.

How do you think I should "top it off" ?

Post an example pic if you come across one, I found lots of neat ideas on google images searching for "office building"  But I am interested to hear your suggestions.

Make a satellite dish from steel/aluminium.

Bonus points for making it appear 'angled' in Stonesense.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 3842