Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097150 times)

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4740 on: August 05, 2010, 05:54:44 pm »

Can I trade with one of you guys having the lack of fish problem? My desert fort is subsisting mainly on turtles. (I'd just turn off the fishing labor, but I still haven't gotten the farms productive enough to supply food and booze yet. Which wouldn't be a problem if the game didn't keep throwing dozens of migrants at me each season. Why, DF, why?)

Now I'm going to try building Quadraxis.

Awesome concept. Please, please post pics if this turns out well. Hell, post them anyway.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: August 05, 2010, 05:59:54 pm »

Can I trade with one of you guys having the lack of fish problem? My desert fort is subsisting mainly on turtles. (I'd just turn off the fishing labor, but I still haven't gotten the farms productive enough to supply food and booze yet. Which wouldn't be a problem if the game didn't keep throwing dozens of migrants at me each season. Why, DF, why?)

Now I'm going to try building Quadraxis.

Awesome concept. Please, please post pics if this turns out well. Hell, post them anyway.

I will definitely be posting pics when done. Also, order meat, fish and booze from caravans.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: August 05, 2010, 06:09:19 pm »

Inspired by similar constructions, I'm building a large, palatial tower for my forts to live, made mostly from dolomite blocks. The center will be hollow, with either a gallery of statues, or a constructed statue of a dwarf. The first few floors will be workshops, above that, the peoples' rooms, above that the nobles' quarters, above that the king's. The top will (probably) be build of gold, and capped with a constructed statue of Hatsune Miku holding a leek. The only problem with that, is that I don't know what besides addy is teal for her hair, and while I'm sure she deserves addy hair, I don't think this map has any(not a mountain biome). I figure I can use garnerite blocks for the light-green of the leek though.

Already have the outline of the first floor(which also contains security stations at the entrances) being build, and masons churning out dolomite blocks.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: August 05, 2010, 08:00:40 pm »

if you're in .31 you should stand a good chance of always having bluemetal. you just have to dig rather far down to find it.

Alternatively you could use microcline
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

frozen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: August 05, 2010, 08:17:58 pm »

Beginning my first *.12 fortress and trying my hand at a pump stack for the first time.  Going to try to bring the lava to the surface for better logistics on magma forges, and if I don't have too much FUN with that I'll take what I learn and try my hand at some lava defense.

2 dwarves have nobly sacrificed their lives to this project already, when they walled the caverns off from the future shaft.  They just also happened to wall themselves off from the fort and died of thirst.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: August 05, 2010, 10:18:22 pm »

(snip) Also, order meat, fish and booze from caravans.

That'll be nice in six months when the next caravan comes through, but I've got hungry mouths to feed now. :D (I also don't have trade goods of any sort, though that might change by then.) It's not really a problem, just a constant jab at my suspension of disbelief--as is 30 dwarves deciding my one-room hole in the sand is the hottest new place to settle. (No pun intended.) It's not as if there's an oasis or anything... though that does give me a fun idea for a project.

Eh. I'll just pretend they're desert tortoises for now.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Andur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: August 05, 2010, 11:14:15 pm »

I breached the third cavern layer, and the entire thing was filled with cave spider webs, almost every single tile. This even remotely close to normal? The stocks list shows 2367 units of cave spider silk thread out there... Large numbers of ant men remains too, looks like they all got wiped out by something...

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #4747 on: August 05, 2010, 11:49:52 pm »

Women are such predictable creatures.

I strongly resent that unfairly stereotyping remark.

Predictably.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: August 05, 2010, 11:51:21 pm »

Humans are such predictable creatures.

Fixed.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #4749 on: August 05, 2010, 11:52:07 pm »

Humans are such predictable creatures.

Fixed.

But aren't dwarves the species at hand?  :P
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: August 05, 2010, 11:55:57 pm »

Humans, dwarves, whatever the sapient being, they all are relatively predictable.

Humans love conquering shit, dwarves like making holes in the ground and committing suicide by various methods, goblins like stealing babies and making obsidian towers in the middle of everywhere, kobolds like stealing shit.

That's about it.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: August 06, 2010, 12:44:47 am »

Humans, dwarves, whatever the sapient being, they all are relatively predictable.
Yes, but,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tabaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: August 06, 2010, 01:22:06 am »

fourth year of new fortress first my first ambush was stopped by cage traps and the prisoners are being setup in the shooting gallery to train my new marksdwarfs other than that i am trying to find the first cavern layer and i've killed about 6-8 dwarf's digging a well shaft and cistern system sadly i have another well shaft to dig before i can fill it with water.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: August 06, 2010, 01:50:33 am »

The goblin civ that sieges me uses giant cave swallows as their mounts, which makes them devilishly tricky to pin down.  The melee goblins scatter and run when I send out my dwarves, and the goblin archers loiter just outside of range of my towers.  I don't want to send my military at a bunch of archers, though they'd probably make it through alright as they're all kitted out in steel and bronze. 

As soon as the siege ends, I'm adding another half dozen towers.

The latest siege had trolls, which is fairly common, but apparently trolls have professions now and a troll miner actually showed up with a pick.  They also all had clothes, some of which were made from troll leather.

------

After five years in this fort, I only have three permanently disabled dwarves taking up hospital spots, so that's not so bad.  It'd be nice if crutches worked and they could hobble about on their floppy, nerveless legs.
I notice dwarves get bandages and sutures for organ damage.  I'm not sure you're supposed to put bandages on a lung, or sutures in a liver.  Pig tail thread must be finer than I'd thought.

------

When I first breached the caverns, my hunter ran out and tried to kill a GCS.  The spider used him as a chew toy until my militia took it down, but biting appears to have been nerfed enough that he survived and got badass scars over most of his body.

EDIT:  I got sick of the goblins, so I decided that 4 years was long enough to have a forgotten beast squatting in my cave and my military kicked its ass with aplomb despite its 'deadly spittle' and the fact it waited for an age to come up out of the water and fight.  This one only dropped 199 meat when butchered, which is disappointing compared to the pterosaur from my last fort which dropped 300+.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:28:56 am by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Nat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: August 06, 2010, 04:09:45 am »

Well, it turns out I did something wrong with my military. They were well equipped and training but when an ambush squad hit them (I had them training at the single bridge entrance to my fort area) they tried to run away instead of fight and got picked off one by one. Then I accidentally left the game unpaused while I was reading the wiki trying to figure out what I did wrong. Came back to find 2/3 of my dwarves insane or dead... I probably could have easily rebuilt from that since I still had my 2 legendary miners and a good mason, but there was so much crap to get cleared up and I really want to have another go at setting up a military, so I've abandoned and started up a brand new fort instead.
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 3842