Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097165 times)

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4725 on: August 05, 2010, 01:20:26 pm »

Last night before bed, i tried to send a cripple into the caverns to die..i mean explore. when the hatch was open I got ambushed by 3 groups of goblins at the ground level. while i was dealing with that a gremlin an two fb's crawled up through the hatch. 25 dwarves are dead now, and the fort is tantrum spiraling hard. but the cripple is still alive and spamming that he can't pick anything up. I love this game!
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: August 05, 2010, 01:32:46 pm »

I'm planning on digging into the upright spoiler. But, does anyone know if it gives access to the entire circus or just a few clowns?
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

jocius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: August 05, 2010, 01:39:12 pm »

Greetings all!  :D

I'm new to the forums, but though I would second A-chana's goblin woes.  I got invaded by the biggest siege I've ever seen yesterday (I'm sure the salty, booze-soaked veterans around here have seen worse, but it sure scared the bejeebus out of me).  There were around 80 heavily-armed and armored gobbos, 20 or so trolls, and a crap load of crocodiles and giant olms the gobbos were apparently using as mounts.  Oh, and the General of The Plain Ruthlessness, the aptly named local goblin civilization.  Fortunately I got my drawbridges up in time or it would have been a rather frightful bloodbath.  Thus, instead of dying horrifying deaths, my dwarves just chilled behind their granite walls drinking and procreating.  After about a year the horde eventually gave up and left.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: August 05, 2010, 01:44:14 pm »

I'm planning on digging into the upright spoiler. But, does anyone know if it gives access to the entire circus or just a few clowns?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: August 05, 2010, 01:46:34 pm »

To many clowns to not enjoy myself I guess. I think I'll have my eventual adventurer come in later to enjoy the circus instead then.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: August 05, 2010, 01:48:22 pm »

I'm back and ready for action!
And what happened while I was gone? (left the game unpaused)
Action came. One of the forgotten beasts entered my fort, probably through the well, and proceeded to screw with my farms. Luckily, a woman going to harvest gave birth as this was just beginning and paused the game on the site. Immediately I assigned my military to combat it, having two unarmed dwarves, a woodsman, and a kitten within 6 yards of it. They whipped it's ass. Poor clear glass monster was so fragile the kitten managed to deal massive damage to it, at which point it finally became enraged (I would too, that's just humiliating). It didn't even land a scratch on any of the dwarves or the kitten. It's dust never affected anyone but itself, so nobody was poisoned and I still don't know what the poison may have done.
There are still two more beasts down there, one that can fly and one that I can simply lock out after killing the flying beast. My trap is still gonna be just as necessary for dealing with the flier safely.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: August 05, 2010, 02:08:30 pm »

Made a tower that I'll put a roof over and put a dining room up there to prevent cave adaption when they go to eat.

EDIT: Just realised how stupid that sounds.

EDIT2: now I realise I can't

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: August 05, 2010, 02:13:18 pm »

So I was making the upright spoiler accessible so that my future adventurers could grab and have all sorts of fun with it. And now my idlers are scrambling over eachother to grab something from that area and stockpile it. I'm sure I forbid the spoiler. Maybe they're trying to stockpile the bones of the skeletons the first miner beat to death when he uncovered them.

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: August 05, 2010, 02:56:52 pm »

Welp, everyone died horribly. Highlights of the Totally Not a Siege*:

-One dorf became an Elite Wrestler by wrestling an elephant, and in the same instant, said elephant threw him into a wall hard enough to make him explode. The best part is that "died after colliding with an obstacle" didn't count in the elephant's kill list (even though the elephant still had five other kills any and got a title). I think I have a new favorite dwarf.
-A founder dwarf, a one-handed miner, began to mine the brains out of elves and lions with shocking ease. Unfortunately, none of my dwarves fared well to being ganged up on, and she was no exception.
-By sheer luck, the last dwarf alive was the one I was using to narrate that year in the journal-type thing I'm doing; he had discovered one of the ambushes, got mauled by a jaguar, and then they all left him alone for some reason. Even better, once he was totally alone, he began to hobble about on a broken leg, killing an injured tiger (it was even trailing its guts behind it!) and wasting the goblins' time with a chase before they finally got him.

While the civ "Strongcity the Ageless God-forsaken Bear-Bitch of Martyrs" is no more, I'll probably reclaim its land, whose name was chosen by the game itself: Hollowtomb. Fitting.

*No one can convince me that the elves and goblins had not intentionally teamed up against this place.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 02:58:51 pm by A-chana »

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: August 05, 2010, 03:02:46 pm »

Ive only just started playing this wonderful game recently, now I am completely hooked.

Ive had a few Fortresses going, worked all the basics out now. Its all good... Had a lovely little place, all running smoothly, apart from the military that is...

Needless to say a cave crocodile got in and just completely obliterated my stout small-men! I even assigned a 10 man squad to attack him, using whatever they could get their hands on!! (Im gonna read the wiki on military now, that was embarrassing! Hours of work, made completely obsolete by a little green bastard)

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: August 05, 2010, 03:44:33 pm »

The picture looks like a stripper dancing on her pole.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: August 05, 2010, 03:51:26 pm »

The picture looks like a stripper dancing on her pole.

???

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: August 05, 2010, 04:07:47 pm »

Women are such predictable creatures. I'm still giving this one couple enough alone time to hopefully marry, since I don't don't want the fort to become TOO incestuous from having only one child-producing couple (dead civ, no migrants, ever). They were in their room together and apparently had a chat. The man has 'talked to a lover recently' in his profile and is ecstatic. The woman has 'talked to a friend lately' in her profile and is only happy(probably because I had to draft them to fight that beast)
Good job lady, that will definitely help build his self-confidence.   ::)

I'm guessing that since they're being allowed to be completely idle for a long time that as soon as she's 'ecstatic' they'll get married. Love is so unpredictable though. The other unmarried couple can't take a break right now because the man is still trying to reach his shoes he left in the caverns because I couldn't convince him to get the hell inside except by drafting him, and there's STILL a flight-capable beast down there and will probably be another shortly.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: August 05, 2010, 04:41:23 pm »

My miner made it. Unfortunately, I left the bridge down. Hello goblin ambush. Goodbye fort.

Now I'm going to try building Quadraxis.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: August 05, 2010, 04:49:56 pm »

New fort on a standard world; the 8,100 year old world was just too stagnant to be interesting (I believe this is due to the isolation caused by island maps, which makes sites easy pickings for megabeasts).  So, I genned an old-fashioned medium region up to 1050 and settled in a good spot with flux and good metamorphic layers.  It's also got a lot of trees, but sadly no river...regardless, the pools are rich with fish which will be a good supplement to our food supplies.

I also made sure to choose a civilization with a young king so I can actually get him instead of having him die of old age when he arrives.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 3842