Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097536 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4665 on: August 04, 2010, 11:13:50 am »

Finally managed to put a recent discovery to use in a defense.  A goblin axe lord was making his way into the fortress, blocking effortlessly every bolt sent his way, he's running down the final road into the fortress to slaughter the elf traders.  The ballista is poised, it is on the other side of the depot, putting the elves in the line of fire, but who cares about them, if he gets any closer the operator is told to fire anyway.  The military is underarmored, that lone axe lord could decimate the fortress.

Then this happened.
The Goblin Axe Lord jumps away from The flying {*donkey bone heavy bolt*}!
The Goblin Axe Lord slams into an obstacle!
The spinning -menacing birchen spike- strikes The Goblin Axe Lord in the upper body, bruising the muscle and bruising the right lung through the ({*small copper mail shirt*})!
The Goblin Axe Lord is having trouble breathing!

The axe lord dodged into one of the the 2 z level pits on each side of the road landing squarely on top of the upright spikes placed there for just such an occasion.  I had expected the wood to do nothing to armored opponents, the metal ones were in the pit closer to the trap line, the wood ones were mostly just there to look nice and fill the rest of the hole.

I'm just imagining this epic godlike goblin, shield raised high charging the gate as elves flee before him blocking bolts like some matrix movie badass to ominous Latin chanting, dodging into the air over the pit with a flip, then doing a Whil-e Coyote thing as he hangs in the air for a second realizing he screwed up.

In other news, fortifications no longer seem to protect defenders from goblin arrows.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: August 04, 2010, 11:16:39 am »

wait were the spikes in a weapon trap, or do built spikes actually do something now when they are landed on?
Nom nom nom

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: August 04, 2010, 11:37:19 am »

I have suspicions they always damaged when landed on.  I remember Toady mentioning that they did when he first implemented them in the devlogs years ago.  But they only do when fallen on from more than 1 z-level.

I was too lazy to test it after everybody started saying they didn't and assumed it was bugged until early in DF2010 a guard dodged into a decorative spiked pit and the combat log mentioned the spike hit.  After that I did more testing with the pit and discovered that it worked and posted such on the wiki.

And recently I refined my knowledge to only drops of 2 z-levels or more cause the spikes to hit, it seems that if they wouldn't normally take damage from the fall the spike won't touch them.

P.S. The guy girl that lead me to believe that fortifications aren't protecting defenders lived his her horrible encounter with a goblin bowmaster (which was oddly called a wrestler the whole time, despite the bright green 'g') and he she actually stopped bleeding and made it to the hospital.  He She has a full 2 pages of iron arrows stuck in his her various bodyparts and almost a page of nothing but wounds in his her description page including popped out guts.  Now he's she's slowly getting adamantine sutures applied (so that's where all my adamantine went) and I am hoping he she lives the procedure.  He She will be more adamantine then flesh.  And his her name is fitting.  "Majin Gloriesscar."
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:22:36 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: August 04, 2010, 12:23:45 pm »

We can rebuild him, we have the technology.
(We don't, but adamantine covers that.)

"Adamantine God Gloriesscar cancels be wounded: Made of adamantine"

The making of my river fort is going fairly well so far. I've got a little bit of metalworking going on down by the magma sea, and I'm almost ready to begin constructing the fortress proper. For now I've got a 5 tile bridge extending all the way across.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: August 04, 2010, 12:40:42 pm »

My Chief Medical Dwarf is finally getting used as such, along with his apprentices. I just made the mistake of Making my Mayor the Captain of the Guard.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: August 04, 2010, 12:51:33 pm »

Hooray, my first mood finished and gave me a 3600 value useless idol just in time for trading!

'Cause seriously, what else can I do with then?
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: August 04, 2010, 12:51:57 pm »

Nothing, You can't trade artifacts.

*Mayor facepalms*

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: August 04, 2010, 12:54:34 pm »

Damnit.

Well, I can uhhh...

Throw it at people with my adventurer after the fort is ended. Yeah, that sounds alright.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: August 04, 2010, 01:52:20 pm »

I just struck raw adamantine, mined out the first level. Now I'm preparing a ~600-700 tile 10x steel spike corridor as an anti-& precaution. I haven't revealed the map, but I know I have a few free levels (LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:25 in worldgen) and I'm still  not mining out any more until I have stabbity overkill ready for the depths.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: August 04, 2010, 01:56:23 pm »

You underestimate the Fun at your peril.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: August 04, 2010, 02:03:04 pm »

Aren't clowns, in their infinite Rubbery Fun-ness basically immune to stabbity?

*Mayor facepalms*

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: August 04, 2010, 02:14:51 pm »

Only the rubberiest would be immune to the stabbity. It would affect at least some of them. A little bit.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: August 04, 2010, 02:18:54 pm »

but the rubbery o_o

you better have LOTS of stabbity. stabbity on a repeater. it's faster than a Weapon Trap IIRC.

*Mayor facepalms*

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: August 04, 2010, 02:30:12 pm »

you better have LOTS of stabbity. stabbity on a repeater.

~600-700 tile 10x steel spike corridor

I agree.

EDIT: It all began with a secretive weaponsmith...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 02:34:57 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: August 04, 2010, 02:39:14 pm »

When you're done, tell us the name and description of the abomination who destroyed the lever.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 3842