Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097501 times)

Tywuzhere

• Bay Watcher
  • We Fell Asleep: Abdomen/Thorax.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4650 on: August 03, 2010, 09:14:01 pm »

I had my craftsdwarf (Named 'The Man' because he's also a mechanic.) build a bunch of cheap crafts to trade with the caravan that I knew was gonna come pretty soon... I had them all marked for trade, and was going to trade for a copper axe, steel sword and a bunch of plump helmets... Then, I accidentally hit the o key, instead of hitting t, and I offered them all to the traders... Now I'm trying to find some sort of thing I can spare to at least get a weapon since I don't have any easily accessible metal to smelt nearby my fort... lol.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: August 03, 2010, 09:35:02 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Harsh. You should really make a longer entry hall filled with traps with distraction/detection animals at several key points.

On-topic, still not back at my computer, so my dorfs are still sitting there doing absolutely nothing, and I'm still trying to come up with a good way to kill the two FBs inhabiting the caverns, one of clear glass and another an organic. (do inorganic beasts yield meat? mmm delicious *clear glass roast* The best I could conceive so far is to make a long hallway with a cave-in trap running the length of it, and trap the FBs in there with bridges, then pound them into a fine paste. I only have a few dwarves (20), and im 1) in the mountains with no external access whatsoever and 2) my civ is dead and I will never receive migrants. Those caverns are necessary, if i didn't have a well in a position the FBs won't try to path to and a small tree(crop) farm they'd all be dead. I guess I could just bucket brigade another tree farm area since all my pumps and their equipment (and someones shoes that they REALLY want back) are stuck in the caverns. only a couple more days...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #4652 on: August 03, 2010, 10:30:33 pm »

Hi guys what's going on in this thread?

I got angry because my brokerdoctor had three tantrums for no frigging reason and got her spine broken and then a diplomat I didn't even know was there left unhappy. At that point I crashed the game because I'm a dirty savescummer.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: August 03, 2010, 10:46:38 pm »

First hit against it. I am scared to death of my Champions.
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: August 03, 2010, 11:47:28 pm »

:o Dang Fistbeard, your Champions are terrifying.

Then again, they are dwarves.

One of these days I'll have to build a military.

it just occurred to me that you could surround all levels of your central staircase with a circle of Grates. meaning you could cut off access to everyone but fliers. if you dig two out you could combine Floor and Wall Grates.

Handy for emergency containment of an intruder, unless it's got building destroyer. Bonus points for rigging a magma shower to cleanse the area.

I think I'm going to try that in my next fort.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:00:52 am by lanceleoghauni »
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: August 04, 2010, 12:16:34 am »

You could also build 4 drawbridges around each level of the staircase, and wall them off depending on what needs locked down. How exactly do the grates stop anything? do you mean to say you deconstruct them or that they can't path from a staircase to a grate?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: August 04, 2010, 12:37:49 am »

I get excited whenever I see a siege now.
Exploiting a previously unforeseen gap in my defenses, the goblins quickly head for my fort's rear courtyard entrance. My Champions rush out to meet them. Pictured is the carnage that a single one of my fifteen Champions wrought before backup arrived. What you don't see is that half of the ones left are unconscious.
Body parts managed to make it to the z-level above the fight.

The second squad fares no better.
At one point, one of my Champions managed to send two goblins flying away at once, in opposite directions. With an axe.
Not three minutes after the siege begins, the remaining goblins flee for their lives.

It's a good day to be in Armorseals.
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: August 04, 2010, 04:10:01 am »

Laboredanus has a long, long, long corridor of cage traps. A goblin raid occurred, and they charged right into it, and they ALL, to a last one, got caged.

I'm going to have so much fun building this new zoo.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Nat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: August 04, 2010, 04:23:39 am »

I'm very worried about my fort's defenses. My enemies are coming (4 different civs - though I've only seen ambushes from 2 of them so far. I'm playing deon's genesis mod), and my military isn't trained or properly equipped yet. I might have to resort to pulling up all the bridges and shutting the gate. That won't keep out any enemies who can fly, unfortunately... I hope my hospital is set up right.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #4659 on: August 04, 2010, 04:41:46 am »

Clinchedtree the awe-inspiring God-forsaken Lobster of Immortality has just killed its first titan! Giant tarantula with red exoskeleton and poisonous bite. I had to hurry my military outside where about 120 dwarfs were gathering plants and cutting trees. (I was planning to gather everything on the map and then seal myself to the caverns) The titan spawned very close to them so I attacked in hurry with just 3 soldiers, though 2 more eventually arrived to make final blows.  :P

It missed all its attacks to my legendary weapon skill soldiers. None of them had good shield skill so is this bugged? how can my dwarfs attack so much faster than it while blocking every single attack it made? I'm glad no one died but seems weird. I don't really understand how combat works, for example: does weapon skill help parrying attacks?
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: August 04, 2010, 05:08:52 am »

Cog Disso: I meant that connected to levers they could be activated/deactivated remotely and En Masse.

*Mayor facepalms*

Malakai Makaisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: August 04, 2010, 06:02:55 am »

Well I'm building my first ever tower!

And a FB appeared. Luckily, it's in the bottom layer of a cavern I uncovered. I hope it stays there...

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: August 04, 2010, 06:04:49 am »

the neat think about FBs is that if you have enough of them and pools full of water their combined poisons start to kill each other. It's rather hilarious I think.

*Mayor facepalms*

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: August 04, 2010, 07:52:45 am »

Cog Disso: I meant that connected to levers they could be activated/deactivated remotely and En Masse.

It just got better... they attacked AGAIN at precisely the same moment as my miner punctured an aquifer and started flooding the main workshop/farming level. I had to order everyone indoors while my mechanics frantically tried to hook up some floodgates and stop the flood, and it worked, except THREE BABIES were trapped behind them, and drowned.

At the end of the day I had another four trapped goblins and several tantrums from grieving parents. I decided to dig down from above and open an underground well (yay!) in their collective honor.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... this water tastes baby-ish.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: August 04, 2010, 08:00:01 am »

It just got better... they attacked AGAIN at precisely the same moment as my miner punctured an aquifer and started flooding the main workshop/farming level. I had to order everyone indoors while my mechanics frantically tried to hook up some floodgates and stop the flood, and it worked, except THREE BABIES were trapped behind them, and drowned.

At the end of the day I had another four trapped goblins and several tantrums from grieving parents. I decided to dig down from above and open an underground well (yay!) in their collective honor.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... this water tastes baby-ish.

The dwarves like it that way.
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 3842