Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098786 times)

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4545 on: July 30, 2010, 04:21:58 pm »

I'm waiting for an anvil too to work on my military.  ;D

So I'm getting everything up and running, I have a ton of magneite and wood, though the stupid elves limit me to 100 trees.

everything fine so far.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: July 30, 2010, 05:31:03 pm »

Spending the remainder of the years keeping these idiots alive and dropping rocks on the fish-people in the cavern. produced some good injuries, but none have died yet since the first was crushed under the original wall. One of them hasn't a limb left on him that isn't red, but mostly they just land in the water and are barely stunned.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: July 30, 2010, 09:20:49 pm »

Just got a legendary weaponsmith a legendary steel spear. So i got a 2nd legendary weaponsmith ( the first one did a steel crossbow) Preparing to flood a few z level from the caverns to get myself a good indoor forest . Finally got my first goblin sighting in the summer of the 3rd year, and no elves can reach me that up north.

Things are looking good !

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: July 31, 2010, 03:22:49 am »

So I notice this raccoon taking off with an iron warhammer.  Can't have that, right?
I assign my two-dwarf military to kill him.

They give chase!

Finally, they catch up to it...
Smack it a good'n right into a pond.
AAAAAAAAND...
Follow it in to finish the job.
I watched the whole blasted thing. I facepalmed. Harshly.
They won, I guess.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: July 31, 2010, 03:25:52 am »

*Dog Tallow Roast [9]*
This is a stack of 9 superiourly prepared dog tallow roast. The ingrdients are finely minced dog meat, finely minced prepared dog intestines, finely minced dog tallow and finely minced dog tallow. Basic Value: 522*. The only way to make this more dwarven would be for it to menace with spikes of dog 'meat'.

Found among the layers of whisp stalk(I modded those in for variety.) biscuit [3], Ingredients being minced whisp stalks and minced plump helmets.

Cave potato biscuits sound decent though. As long as the general taste and texture is similar to regular potato bread.

Also, killed off all but one of the cave fish men, and he has some horrific injuries, including to his spine. Might finish him off later this year.
I'm also trying to think up a way to come up with a ton of cages for cage traps, I want me some of these giant eagles. Lead will have to do since I can't risk going out into the open caverns to cut trees, and my tree farm has yet to get past the sappling stage. I'm considering moving the regular farms up to it as well, save my dwarves that extra 12-story climb.

In some other other news, I still only have one married couple, and 2 or 3 unmarried. Any tips on how to speed the process up? Everyone's ecstatic, well-fed, watered, and rested. Maybe a lot more idle time? I'm concerned they may all die of old age before there's enough of a second generation to produce a third. Not that I couldn't then apply for the most incestuous fortress in df history if only one couple produces children :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: July 31, 2010, 07:56:18 am »

I just embarked in a haunted forest with sand, flux, sedimentary and igneous extrusive rock, an aquifer, and (somewhat more recently) undead elephants. I sense Hilarity will ensue.

EDIT: One skeletal elephant + four dogs + seven stalwart and desperate dwarves = four dead war dogs, one dead weapon/armorsmith, one horribly mangled brewer/cook, and one savescum.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 08:02:11 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: July 31, 2010, 09:40:40 am »

Went back to 40d for a while, mostly for speed purposes.

All is going well, save for the river full of carp, pike, and sea lamprey. I've lost 2 dwarves, 4 war dogs, and roughly a dozen cats.

I am now the proud owner of a river that runs red with the blood of my own dorfs/dogs/cats.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: July 31, 2010, 09:59:33 am »

I've got a ledgendary engraver, so I'm having him engrave everything.

It's too bad my ledgendary dining room isn't very big. I'll expand it soon.

Finally got an anvil from the dwarf caravan, time to work on my current 10 dwarf army.

5 war hammers, 2 short swords, 2 spears, and a mace.
Everything's fine.

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: July 31, 2010, 10:10:07 am »

Currently digging a system of organic-looking pipes and falls to channel magma from the very top of the local volcano to the grotto system I'm building under the nearby brook.  The geography is providing perfect natural defences while allowing my dorfs to explore outside in safety, so I'm not worried about the same kind of near-constant goblin warfare experienced by my last fort.

On the other hand, my last fort was the proud owner of an actual river of blood.  No water, just blood, everywhere.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: July 31, 2010, 02:36:14 pm »

A tantruming carpenter/woodworker whose sole masterpiece was destroyed just murdered my mayor.  Who also happened to be my chief medical dwarf.

Then he went melancholy.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: July 31, 2010, 02:50:20 pm »

New fort, old one died due to fps.  Nice and remote place high in the mountians surrounded by a lake. Second year in the liason dies from old age. Caravan arives, and my broker goes to sleep..for the entire season. Im busy with other things and done realize until they leave -_-.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: July 31, 2010, 02:57:49 pm »

Late Autumn of the first year on a new less anvilless fort. Some silly mishaps have made delayed possible farm starting to early winter at latest. And the caravan hasn't come. I hope it actually comes. I need that booze.

Edit: Seriously as soon as I went back to DF and unpaused it the caravan came. All is well in Yellboots. We've a 4 dwarf millitary, all migrants. One has like 4 experts. I have good hopes for this fort.
Edit 2: They brought no beer. None at all.

I'll have to make do with brewing the plump helmets I bought from them.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 04:37:41 pm by Ethereal.Frog »
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: July 31, 2010, 05:16:30 pm »

Just crafted an artifact platinum mace.  I dread to think what sort of damage it can do to a goblin skull.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: July 31, 2010, 05:41:36 pm »

Just crafted an artifact platinum mace.  I dread to think what sort of damage it can do to a goblin skull.

It would be none, good sir :)

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: July 31, 2010, 06:08:38 pm »

Well now, assuming I ever get a macedwarf to legendary, he can have it.  Something that heavy ought to do some damage.
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 3842