Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098793 times)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4530 on: July 29, 2010, 12:01:21 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ah, hell.
My dwarves have almost nothing but adamantine armor, and I'm still worried about this.
EDIT: No. Just... No. It was over in five seconds.

Hey man, that's cryptic. Who won?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: July 29, 2010, 12:21:10 pm »

Armok did.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: July 29, 2010, 01:41:34 pm »

Well, let me put it this way...
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: July 29, 2010, 02:56:25 pm »

Is that 40d?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: July 29, 2010, 02:59:46 pm »

Despite not even being a barony yet, the king arrived!

And immediately died of old age.

Got some free legendary soldiers out of it at least :D

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: July 29, 2010, 03:57:51 pm »

Well, let me put it this way...

I don't see a bronze colossus anywhere.
What I do see gives me reason to pity it anyway.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: July 29, 2010, 05:00:57 pm »

I am trying to get my exported goods high enough to finally get my first baron of DF2010.

Unfortunately, the traders consistently showing up, not only at the same time as, but at the same place as the goblin and orc ambush squads has been killing my hopes and dreams of that happening for the last year.

I do get lotsa free stuff out of it though.  And the liaisons have also consistently made it through the chaos to get in and out of the fortress each time during full sieges, which seems to be enough to keep their civs from getting pissed off and sending sieges of their own.

I mean the Elf liaison managed to get ambushed by not one, not two, but FOUR ambush squads once, and still managed to outmanuver them all and make it off map with nothing more than a broken arm.  Elves may be pansies, but they sure can run fast.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: July 29, 2010, 05:05:22 pm »

Doing a fresh embark and I am now looking into the descriptions of my dwarfs.

My chief medical dwarf: "She is slow to heal and suspectible to disease. [...] but she has a shortage of patience, poor analytical abilities, very bad intuition [...] She becomes completely helpless in stressful situations."
That's how a doctor should be, right?
Taste my Paci-Fist

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: July 29, 2010, 06:47:40 pm »

Yes, Urist, I'm playing 40d.
So, now I'm just wondering what to do now. I'm pretty sure that my champions are nigh-invincible, so maybe I should just go to war with everybody?
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: July 29, 2010, 08:57:26 pm »

So, i fought my first HFS in the new version. Epic.

Spoiler: Hidden Fun Stuff (click to show/hide)
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Brianide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: July 30, 2010, 12:48:55 am »

I tried to dam off part of an underground lake via a cave-in from above. As it turns out, the bottom of this particular part of the lake was the very top of the cavern below it. When the stone from the cave-in hit the bottom of the lake, the bottom of the lake gave way.

Spoiler: Above (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Below (click to show/hide)

I'm not sure where those trees in the 'Above' shot came from. Maybe they were submerged, or maybe they just sprang up as the lake ran low? I was too busy watching the cavern below flood to notice them at all.

The dwarf who dug out the last tile did so from the wrong side and fell in, as well.

On the bright side, she does seem to be enjoying the spectacle of the lovely waterfall in which she is slowly drowning.

ray10k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: July 30, 2010, 01:09:04 pm »

currently my dwarves, being the last of their kind, are busy with "operation thinly-veiled-attempt-to-end-the-fortress", by digging down the adamantine vein I found.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: July 30, 2010, 03:14:20 pm »

The fort has been going well for the last 2 years, not a single incident or reason to make me save-scum since the time i dropped a miner down the well on accident and killed her (running a fort from a destroyed civ, losing a woman who has a boyfriend and may eventually marry in a fort where everyone is friends with everyone is a death sentence, and i intend to make this fort the centerpiece of a grand dwarven metropolis, and to boot the female-male ratio is 11-7, which doesn't bode well since all the men except the baby are now engaged.)
Suddenly, a litter of kittens was born, and the only female was instantly (read: instantly) adopted by my head craftsman. Not being able to put up with this i decided to kill it, or at least it's mother or father. I set up two separate traps, the first above the entrence leading to chaos in the refuse stockpile (no injuries, even to the kitten) and the second on the other side of the volcano. I then had to wade through half a dozen setbacks as i couldn't convince the dopes to walk into the trap and stay in it long enough for their cats to come along so i could send them off and leave the cats locked behind the door. They didn't want to go in, they wanted to stand around on the outside (not standing in the exact spot you designate should be optional tbh) Then, the kitten dropped a dead lizard right on the door, here goes another minute or so waiting for that to be cleaned and a cat to come back for another delivery. Then the idiots decided they forgot to pick up supplies even though I had never assigned them supplies, and I had to wait even longer. Eventually one of them was in the trap, with their cat (the adult female, to my joyous surprise) and there was nothing wrong with the door. I gave the order to leave and he barely left in time to actually trap the cat behind him. I then dropped a load of bricks on the little demon and the crisis was averted.

Beyond that, my head smith had another child, bringing our population up to 18, with only 16 workers. I also managed to crush a fishwoman blowgunner under a rock and injure another two with a second hit from a constructed wall. The catapult has done literally nothing to them but give them a nice gentle breeze at head height.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:16:44 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: July 30, 2010, 04:02:08 pm »

I just got a glassmaker, two potash makers, a fish cleaner, and 2 peasants.

Otherwords, a whole bunch of recruits!  :P

There was a bone carver, but they might be useful.

I aslo now have 15 farmers out of my 50 dwarves  :o
And 5 craftsdwarves.  >:(
If only it was 15 miners.  :-\

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: July 30, 2010, 04:15:15 pm »

Elves are just leaving in my new fortress' 2nd year. I missed the dwarf caravan first year because I accidentally had my trade depot blocked. No anvil yet, 'cause I didn't take one. Things are overall going pretty well this fort. Nobody dead or wounded yet, except for one cat with a leg mangled by cutebolds. Whatever, just a cat.

Nothing has happened yet.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 3842