Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099236 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4485 on: July 27, 2010, 03:21:42 am »

HAHAHA!

My basement (read: 12st cavern) is now an all-but inhospitable waste. FBs roam around searching for the scent of blood, indiscriminately killing... each other, by accident.

all water sources in the caverns are FILLED with forgotten beast extracts, (usually multiple) ensuring anything that touches the water begins to bleed and then die.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: July 27, 2010, 03:27:17 am »

Strange. I just had a fey dwarf create a Bone coffin.

With no decorations at all. I've NEVER seen this happen, even if they only used one material.

My In-Dining room surround sound waterfall system works great. I can deactivate safeties in case I need to flood it. it floods near instantaneously, all while running at normal parameters barely gets the room wet.

I've seen artifacts without decorations before. Usually seems skill-dependant.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Myles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: July 27, 2010, 03:56:22 am »

Just had a 3 ambushes show up. Despite a few dwarfs untimely demise, I had one that went apeshit on the goblins. She had 14 kills and most of them consisted of her running up behind someone, chopping off a leg, then finishing them off by chopping them in half as they lay on the ground.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: July 27, 2010, 09:12:00 am »

How are you guys getting your dwarves to spar?
Nevermind, figured it out
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:17:44 am by Cheese »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: July 27, 2010, 09:55:55 am »

Diary of Goden Taltotdakost:

Good lord man, that creeped me the hell out.  I just felt like I was there...

Now i'm going to have nightmares.  Nice work.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: July 27, 2010, 10:31:49 am »

With no decorations at all. I've NEVER seen this happen, even if they only used one material.

This seems likely to be a bug resulting from the fix to bone/shell artifacts only producing iron figurines. Artifacts have always had one decoration per material used.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: July 27, 2010, 11:16:39 am »

One miner, mother of triplets, was off in the mountains, carving the dross away from the to-be-awesome tower.
A goblin appeared, killed one child, stole a second, and ran like hell.  >:(
Ras is now parent to one child.  :-[

THEN dwarf fortress crashed. So I get to try again. Maybe I'll assign wardogs to the miners to prevent this.
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: July 27, 2010, 11:36:34 am »

My fort is now stressing me out. No migrants coming in, brewing bugged up and trying to figure out machinery. Does anybody else find the game becomes boring when you need to use machinery?

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: July 27, 2010, 11:52:00 am »

My fort is now stressing me out. No migrants coming in, brewing bugged up and trying to figure out machinery. Does anybody else find the game becomes boring when you need to use machinery?

Not at all, I had lots of fun wiring rotating axles around my fort, hiding them in nooks and crannies so my dwarves will never figure out what's powering their showers or *heating elements*. :D

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: July 27, 2010, 12:13:09 pm »

I've seen this posted over ten times now, and they were all bone artefacts. Known bug?

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: July 27, 2010, 12:19:15 pm »

My mason was very selfish and named his artifact after his full name. So now I have an artifact weapon rack called Thikut Laborwound created by Thikut Laborwound.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: July 27, 2010, 12:23:26 pm »

Well, Sheildtouches fell. Nothing even that interesting - my 2 squads of troops (10 melee, 10 ranged) were busy scouting the first cavern layer, far too far away to be useful when an ambush of 8 goblin archers showed up at my main gate. they tore through the weakly armoured fortress guard headed by the commander of the guard (given second rate weapons as to not overpunish my worksdwarves), nd proceded to fill more than half my population with arrows when they found my safe area - granted, 3 had fallen to traps by then. on thier way out they wasted an elven caravan and diplomat, which is probably a good thing. this in itself wouldnt have been so bad, but behind them came at least a dozen, probably closer to 20 rhesus food stealers who did just that. then the squads in the caverns found a FB which was weak, but had a nasty syndrome involving mild paralysis, but seeing as my 4 medical dwarves were arrowed, it all went a bit annoying... with all the steel armour and weapons lying around it would make a tempting reclaim, if i wasnt worried about what nasties might come crawling out of the cavern...

EDIT: bah. seems df didnt like a saved mess of a fort. it corrupted on me. time to gen a new world and to do it all again then.
This is a blank sig.

cappytan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: July 27, 2010, 12:56:07 pm »

Ugh.

My fort, Searingbolt, fell to a Goblin siege.  When I saw the invaders enter the map, I restricted all my civilians to a burrow deep within my fortress and sent my 2 squads (20 Dwarves) to attack.  That was a big mistake.  There was only one squad of 10 Goblins, with their commander riding a giant olm, and they massacred my two sqauds.  I must have had 30 war dogs too, and a majority of them were killed as well!  Not one Goblin was mortally wounded, and I just watched as the Goblins made their way into the fortress, murdering everyone.

I think for my next fortress, I'll put a stronger emphasis on siege weapons and a more adequate military. 

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: July 27, 2010, 01:51:13 pm »

This seems likely to be a bug resulting from the fix to bone/shell artifacts only producing iron figurines. Artifacts have always had one decoration per material used.
Even back in 40d I had craft artifacts routinely show up without decorations, usually from skillless mooders.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: July 27, 2010, 02:18:12 pm »

I've seen this posted over ten times now, and they were all bone artefacts. Known bug?

Quote from: myself

bone artifact loses additional components

Listed as fixed in the current .12 release.

Even back in 40d I had craft artifacts routinely show up without decorations, usually from skillless mooders.

Can't say I've ever seen that myself. Skill level isn't supposed to factor into crafting artifacts at all; skills only affect choosing what kind of workshop to claim and the primary material to use. Either your memory or mine is faulty.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:20:42 pm by Niveras »
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 3842